Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=5480
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting, this picture shows a plastic spur. Too bad that didn't become a reality.

http://www.neobuggy.net/images/News/8ft4.jpg
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
Interesting, this picture shows a plastic spur. Too bad that didn't become a reality.

http://www.neobuggy.net/images/News/8ft4.jpg
They are a reality. May not be in stores yet, but we have part numbers

89519 Plastic Spur Gear 46T (includes diff gasket)
89520 Plastic Spur Gear 48T (includes diff gasket)
89521 Plastic Spur Gear 50T (includes diff gasket)
Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JDCrow
They are a reality. May not be in stores yet, but we have part numbers

89519 Plastic Spur Gear 46T (includes diff gasket)
89520 Plastic Spur Gear 48T (includes diff gasket)
89521 Plastic Spur Gear 50T (includes diff gasket)
Sweet! Is the smallest a 46?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Looks like you can order them direct from Associated.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Id recommend you call and speak to someone first. "Limited Availability" is not always a good indicator of availablility to ship.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hard cases

Any one can put a hard case on any soft lipo. I've taken my dremmel to a hard case lipo, and there is no padding inside.

Cheap lipo battries don't last as long as the expensive ones. Cheap lipos go bad after 3 months or so of racing every weekeend (OCRC, SoCal).

Do ROAR staff race at all? It seems that all they do is mess things up. I've never met any of them. Do they show up at any of the major tracks regularly? (Revelation, Thunder Alley, OCRC, Pegasus, SoCal locations)
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by castror7
Do ROAR staff race at all? It seems that all they do is mess things up. I've never met any of them. Do they show up at any of the major tracks regularly? (Revelation, Thunder Alley, OCRC, Pegasus, SoCal locations)
Do a little research. ROAR is a volunteer organization with Active Racers on the executive committee, race committees, region directors, and other levels of support.

There are plenty of threads to argue the relevance of soft case/hard case, 4S or 6S batteries. Please keep this thread on subject about the AE eConversion kit.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by steve671
Looks like a very nice kit except for the size of the battery tray. I think AE really dropped the ball on that part.
What is the size of the battery tray?

I Just ordered one of these of these for my RC8 and RC8T, and I don't see why a 4s or 5s pack won't fit. I have a Maxamps 5s 5250 is 138mm X 45mm X 43mm and a Polyrc 4s 5100 140mm x 47mm x 43mm. A Maxamps 2s hardcase pack is 139mm x 47mm x 25.1mm. A Associated 2S 35 5000 pack is 138.5 x 46 X 25mm. I think I should be fine with both of my packs, my 5s pack is actually smaller then 2 2S packs and my polyrc is only 2mm longer and I'm guessing it will fit as well. Well I guess I'll find out soon and report back. Any long style lipos won't work, the esc takes up that space.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jamie007
What is the size of the battery tray?

I Just ordered one of these of these for my RC8 and RC8T, and I don't see why a 4s or 5s pack won't fit. I have a Maxamps 5s 5250 is 138mm X 45mm X 43mm and a Polyrc 4s 5100 140mm x 47mm x 43mm. A Maxamps 2s hardcase pack is 139mm x 47mm x 25.1mm. A Associated 2S 35 5000 pack is 138.5 x 46 X 25mm. I think I should be fine with both of my packs, my 5s pack is actually smaller then 2 2S packs and my polyrc is only 2mm longer and I'm guessing it will fit as well. Well I guess I'll find out soon and report back. Any long style lipos won't work, the esc takes up that space.
Many of us use the longer, cheaper lipos. My pack is 168mm long.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JDCrow
Do a little research. ROAR is a volunteer organization with Active Racers on the executive committee, race committees, region directors, and other levels of support.

There are plenty of threads to argue the relevance of soft case/hard case, 4S or 6S batteries. Please keep this thread on subject about the AE eConversion kit.
JD Crow- Are you the same JD Crow that is technical director at Roar? If so maybe you can answer a few questions. I am sticking with the AE conversion topic.

How much does an RC8 weigh with battery and electronics?

Does Roar have maximum weight limits for the 1/8 scale electric buggy? Does the RC8 meet them?

Most local racers at my track use a variety of set ups on the RC8, none of which are two hard shell 7.4 volt lipos.

You say Roar is run by active racers, but why (and who) decided to set the standard on hard case lipos? Did your President Dawn Sanchez visit the track she used to own (SRS- Scottsdale, AZ) and talk to people who race 1/8 scale and see what their needs are? They could provide real world input on rules and equipment choices. I know one guy there who has been running his RC8 with 4, 5 and 6 cell lipos even before an electric eight was a twinkle in the eye of Associated. Most will have to do mods to get their batteries to fit the RC8 with the new kit.

The Losi 14.8v lipo will not fit the RC8 battery tray. It needs to be dremeled extensively.

I think Roar and Associated need to revisit 1/8 scale rules and/or customer needs. Neither are being met.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
JD Crow- Are you the same JD Crow that is technical director at Roar? If so maybe you can answer a few questions. I am sticking with the AE conversion topic.
I am.

Does Roar have maximum weight limits for the 1/8 scale electric buggy?
There is not a Max Weight Limit for the ROAR 1:8 Electric Buggy Class

You say Roar is run by active racers, but why (and who) decided to set the standard on hard case lipos?
We have a very active Executive Committee, Class Committees, Motor/Battery Committees, Regional Directors, made of Racers, Mfg Representatives, Track Operators, Distributors, et al. No decisions are made lightly or without due diligence and with a goal of whats best for our members. Major Class Changes, Racing Changes, New Class recognition involve lengthy research and discussion which begins in our Class Committees.

Did your President Dawn Sanchez visit the track she used to own (SRS- Scottsdale, AZ) and talk to people who race 1/8 scale and see what their needs are? They could provide real world input on rules and equipment choices.
You will have to speak with her. I know she is very committed to the interest of ROAR Members. Email her.

I know one guy there who has been running his RC8 with 4, 5 and 6 cell lipos even before an electric eight was a twinkle in the eye of Associated. Most will have to do mods to get their batteries to fit the RC8 with the new kit.
There are more battery options that fit into the AE RC8 eConversion without modification than don't. There are multiple comments from Rick (AE/Reedy) regarding their decision to develop the electric platform they have released.

The Losi 14.8v lipo will not fit the RC8 battery tray. It needs to be dremeled extensively.
Many manufacturers have different design beliefs for this class. ROAR has set a Max Dimension and Voltage spec which allows design freedom, provides for a safe development, and competitive racing. The class is new and will continue to develop. We want a healthy growth which protects and provides an affordable point of entry for the vast majority of our members.

Last edited by JDCrow; 01-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

My question is this, has AE looked into a future conversion to be offered that includes the probably cheaper plastic spur gears instead of the metal ones? Initially when I was looking at the kit I was not too thrilled about the metal spurs, but now with the nylon ones on the way, I am curious if they could be included and subsequently drop the price of the conversion.

As to balance issues, it will really depend on how porky a pack you use and how the battery tray is positioned on the chassis. I run a big porky pack (4S 6000XP ) and real world handling the vehicle is a blast to drive. but it is more weight biased to the battery side. Part of the reason I went with the RCM RC8T conversion other than the RCPD was not available is the balance issue. If pure balance is your concern, you probably will want a conversion along the lines of the Caster Fusion style setup.

Anyone know of part numbers for the AE receiver box seperately?

One concern I have about the AE design is that there currently are no manufacturers that I know of who are willing to make a balancing wire setup that can be used to charge 2 7.4V lipos together as 1 4S battery pack. I contacted a couple of manufacturers about this and they refused to make one do to liablity issues. Because of this, there are not many options as far as charging these 2 lipos as one that are not really cost prohibitive (anything other than a hyperion duo??).

Does AE have in the cards to make a charger that will do there 2 pack setup justice and balance charge both batteries together as one pack?

I think AE's first crack at this isn't bad.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cain
Anyone know of part numbers for the AE receiver box seperately?
89504 RC8E Radio Tray (Top and Bottom)
25203 3mm X 12mm fhcs (need 3 to mount to chassis)
89219 3mm X 5mm set screw (to secure antenna tube)
21173 small body clip x2 (to secure Radio Tray Top in place)
Old 01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

where did you come across those numbers? I am intersted in everything but the gears ie. radio box, battery tray, and ESC mount...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.