Wiki Posts
Search

Pinching sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Edward

Mr TopGun,

First of all, you have to work on your spellings, if not nobody will ever believe you have ever been to school.

You force people to take your advise like you are the real guru.

Give us a break.

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Hi Stefan.
No, I will not invest $20 to pinch my sleeves, I will better invest to my new P/S sets and I will know exactly what I have there. I am saying for me 2 micron is very big difference ( in metric) I don't belive for $20 you can pinch it, and lap it to the desired size and geometry and lap piston to right fit. Honestly it doesn't make sence at all. I am investing 2-3 hours of my time to fit piston to right size keep it of eleptical form and this is only for piston, not counting sleeve, takes much longer to have it done right-tapering, round form etc.
I am not saying don't do it, but again I don't belive it and nobody will make me to belive it. I am not going to even try, I don't like the whole idea. I will stay on the old way and make mine P/S sets the way I want to.
I am from old school, so will stay on my "old conventional way".
Sorry to don't take your advice.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

i have been looking into this awhile now to see if it really works but the way you guys talk it really is a good thing..how many times can you have this done? is it just like a one time type deal or can you do it several times without loosing performance..
Old 11-03-2003, 10:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

You can squeeze them more than once. It is a good idea to change the conrod whenever you do. I am about to have my MT12 done for the third time, and its almost 4 years old. Every time it gets squeezed its like a new motor. I love it.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Looks like this thread has gotten a little heated ... its like everyone is feeling the PINCH!!! Hahahahaaa ... chill dudes!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

I've had a couple P/S's squished by OSROCKET and was VERY happy with the results. Compression was better than new ... yes, BETTER! OSROCKET has some really high end processing equipment that he uses, that plus his experience with it make him the best damn squisher out there. Inexpensive, effective, with lasting results ... 'nuff said.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ihave 7 p&s correct me if I,m wrong , which I know some one will
,But thats an investment of $700.00 or more+ or - a few bucks
squezze them all for $115.00 throw any not to your standards
away . sut up and race....................... don't let it cramp your style
by getting to complacated and expensive
Old 11-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can have p/s sets done several times. Their is a point where you need to replace the p/s. Depending on how tight you have the p/s done will determine whether or not you will need to replace a conrod. I always recomend it but it is not always something that has to be done. I prefer not to make the p/s as tight as other guys out their but if you want it that way it is not a problem, I leave it totally up to you.

Are their any other questions?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys, I just put my opion here, can I? If it is not the same as the other people no much I can do. I have my opion and my expirince, I know what I know and I am stick with that. You can go by your own way, I am not trying to tell you don't do it.
You don't need to accuse me in beeing an enemy. I try to help, that is all. I am trying to bring to you guys better power with reasonble price. If I need just for my usage, I am suppplyed for next 5 years already. My main goal is try to move this hobby to higher level.
BTW, I realy didn't go to school in USA and this is why my English is realy sucks, I know about it, but have no time to go to learn it now- I have my family to take care.
Everybody please have fun.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

If done correctly it should be better... The metal in the sleve has been through many heat cycles and is now "seasoned." Hasn't anyone else built 1:1 engines? Most of us prefer a seasoned block over a brand new one... I'm going to try this with a relatively inexpensive motor first, a Traxxas Pro 15... If I am happy with the results when it comes time for my JP Modded NovaRossi to be rebuilt I'm going to send the P/S their way...

Too bad we can't bore the sleves and throw in oversized pistons... No one would ever buy a new motor again... I'm sure it can be done...
Old 11-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Top Gun777.I think people like people's opinion when they have experienced it.You havent and THAT is the reason for whats being said.You may have all this knowledge of composite's and motors,but from EXPERIENCE of doing the pinching WE KNOW.
If your smart then YOU would understand why whats happening is happening.If not I fill sorry for you.
Goodluck with the motor's and the P/S.At my local shop they have a company in Austriallia that makes a Lightend piston and sleeve for the OS.12CV's.Im not sure what it is but it's lighter and where a .12 will last 2 gallons or so on oval guys are seeing 7 gallons out of these.But cost on the piston and sleeve is $125.00.
Wildbills HobbyShop In Irving Tx has them.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Its all a matter of preference. Top gun has the resources to make his own sleeves, which is great! He can tailor his own P&S sets to his own needs therefore not needing resize services to further enhance the oerformance of his engines.

The resizing services offered by, what it seems like lately, to be many racers is the best thing to happen to the R/C community since nitro engines themselves. A 200 dollar engine isnt all that hard to purchase now knowing you dont have to spend upwards of 100 bucks to rebuild it. What concerns me really is who is doing the resizing. I know OSROCKET has been around for quite a while as well as RayA. What concerned me about OSROCKET is freinds of mine had their sleeves done and they made it sound like he compressed the whole sleeve which i didnt like. For all i know he has changed that process to not do that anymore, but he claims in his ebay ad;s that he tries to achive a perfectly round piston/sleeve fit, which again i dont like. Engines, full size and miniature wear in an elliptical shape as top gun mentioned.

RayA's service is what impressed me. Email him and he gives you exactly what he is doing an mentions about the importance of stress relief in the metals as well as disclosing his full procedure and what his tools are doing to the sleeve set. Very cool! And of course i have found my resized engine that he did for me to perform exceptionally. Ive had many many people say my x.12 is the fastest at the track. Too bad im not a good a driver as the guy that wins though.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any of you pinched sleeve guys going to the regionals in SA? I'd like to see these engines run. Region 9 regionals
Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Pit they do run.Barry has even been known to recommend this to other people when the piston and sleeve are worn and clean.
TopGun doesnt have the best english guys he's not from here but he does know his stuff.
He just doesnt have the experienced with the high end guys pinching a sleeve and having the same performance.
He is working with some VERY high end materials that will make things faster,more fuel effic and lighter with the cost close to what a new STOCK piston and sleeve would cost.
He has a market and I really hope he does well but for the average racer pinching works great for cost benefits.
PitRacer and some others are in the top of their area and want the best of the best and this my friends cost money.
So it's all about prefrence.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

how often should you change your crank bearings when getting the sleeve pinched..im thinking about having this done when my motor lets go on me
Old 11-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on the track you run on and how you care for them.If your going to pinch I replace the rod,bearings and then the new pinched piston and sleeve.Like new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.