Community
Wiki Posts
Search

gear comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

it has nothing to do with friction or weight, it has to do with what the motor likes in a particular chassis.

lets take a motor any motor, brushed CO27 for example, or a Speed Passion 13.5 doesn't matter, each and every motor as a gear ratio that it performs best at. what spins faster and/or longer, a 10lb disk that is 6 inches around or a 10lb disk that is 10 inches around. whats easier to get moving, whats easier to keep moving, what slows down more off power, what accellerates better off the correr. it all matters, IMO

I also believe just because IMO my Mi3 performs best with a 106 64p spur and a Speed Passion 13.5 does not mean that the chassis of your choice (say xray with duo) will be the same, internal ratios, tire size, belt or shaft all make a difference, thats why your buddy running a 4.3 gear ratio is running 20 degrees cooler then you are at a 4.5 gear ratio.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dude, you just confused me even more, you mention inertia, drivetrain drag, and other variables... UHHHHGGGG i'm soo damn lost...

Can you elaborate more though please?

Thanks (sorry if i am being a pain )
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee
Dude, you just confused me even more, you mention inertia, drivetrain drag, and other variables... UHHHHGGGG i'm soo damn lost...

Can you elaborate more though please?

Thanks (sorry if i am being a pain )

lol...
Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I'm over it.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i'm from the school of thought where rotating mass is an important factor..

larger spurs/pinions have a higher rotating mass, making them slower to start rotating or stop rotating..
the opposite would also hold true, small spur/pinion has a smaller rotating mass, making it easier to start/stop rotating

so to my way of thinking, if a small spur/small pinion combination achieved the same ratio as a large spur/large pinion combination, then the one with the smaller rotating mass will be able to accellarate quicker and stop faster (and run cooler as the motor doesnt work as hard)..
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

if you use that torque is force times radius (tooth number is proportional to the radius of gear)you will know that the torques transmitted through pinion and spur with the same ratios will be the same, therefore with the same ratios there is no difference that will affect acceleration or deceleration. But with different sizes of gears the inertial moment will have certain degree of influence on the response of the motor because the bigger radius (which also means heavier) the higher inertial moment. Therefore using smaller gears will have a little quicker response.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am going to have to go with the rotating mass theory. Once you get the mass going, the larger gears will want to keep rotating, thus it would be able to carry that through the corners making it easier to get it spinning again upon exit.
Again, it's just theory, and from a personal point of view and having tried it both ways, it makes no difference at all.Except maybe psychological.

(thank god for spell check, LOL)