Community
Wiki Posts
Search

vspec engine tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

The rear bearing is short lived.

I don't know is this legal or not. I use vz-r (on road) piston sleeve in my v-spec.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
The rear bearing is short lived.

I don't know is this legal or not. I use vz-r (on road) piston sleeve in my v-spec.
i plan on puttin tko ceramics in after 2-3 gallon mark. im short on cash right now after gettin the vspec, my 2.0 8ight, my grp and gettin my truggy runnin so thats why im waitin.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have to agree with a few people in this thread, i own a 2 gallon old vspec right now and although it makes awesome power and is very easy to tune i wouldnt buy another one, i have gone through 2 sets of bearings ( got TKO ceremics on order now ) and one crank case...has turned out to be a very expensive engine, i will run it till the piston/sleeve is gone and throw it in the bin. Will be looking at a Trinity EX tech EB mods engine or something from GRP r Nova next, have ran OS engines in every car i have ever owned and am not very impressed with the Vspec at all, other manafacturers have proven that this level of HP can be made to last and be reliable, for roughly the same purchase price as well....i cannot see why OS cant achieve this as well.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Any comments from people who bought Boca ceramic or TKO ceramic bearings ? ( I'm worried if I get a dud bearing or chinese made ..... I just lost complete p/s/r last week due to rear bearing failure ).
Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Any comments from people who bought Boca ceramic or TKO ceramic bearings ? ( I'm worried if I get a dud bearing or chinese made ..... I just lost complete p/s/r last week due to rear bearing failure ).
Buy TKO ceramics from amain hobbies and you wont have any problems
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I have boca ceramic bearings in my V-spec and I have 9+ gallons on it and no it has not been pinched. So my experince is that they are a good long lasting motor
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your looking to get a Vspec, get a Ninja JX21. this is The exact parts it uses:
OS Speed Vspec crank with no slug
OS Speed Vspec Rod
OS 28XZ Case
OS Speed Sleeve with5 ports.
OS Carb

The Speeds never had any of the issues the regular ones with the crank pins wearing down. So buy a JX and get Vspec performance with a little more.
So get one for the same price as a vspec, is more reliable and will last alot longer. All youll ever haft to do is break it in and replace the bearings with TKOs and put a new rod in it if you really want to.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So are there any issues with these 'new' v-specs then? Conrods, Bearings, Carbs...Cranks?? Looking at possibly getting a Speed (Alum head or Worlds Alum) or a RB L2G C6 (i haven't seen anything or heard anything bad and i currently run a WS7 L2G). I really do like the look of the OS' and they always look good on track but just things i hear on the net are a little worrying........I've currently got 6gallons on my RB and it pulls exactly the same as when it was new (never lean) and runs 10mins. I did the heat-cycle method which i guess is what's best for the OS if i decide to get one?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The original OS Speed Alum and MAG engines are discontinued and not really anyone has them in stock. The Speed Vspec 2 Worlds engine likely has no changes internally just a drilled head and someones name and World Champ written on it. I would get a JX21, There is a regular and a drilled head version. they are alot cheaper with the same performance and internals as the speed engines. Also i think the JX comes with a free XL T shirt.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

German Muscle...PM sent
Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Who wants to deal with that hassle every 2 gallons. I will run mine till it blows up, then strip it down, and buy something else. The one thing I learned about racing is you need trustworthy, reliable engines, and parts. They can keep the V-spec. There's too many awesome engines out there for me to worry about all the potential disasters from OS
I think you got a bad one, my friend has 10 gallons on his stock vspec with out getting anything replaced! I have an eb mods thats on its 3 gallon perfect! and a new one on 1 1/4 gallon runs great. I did have another eb mods that was total junk, that was my fault, i bought it used. It had more fuel time then what was stated. But thats water under the bridge. O.S. Is my first choice so far.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by German Muscle
The original OS Speed Alum and MAG engines are discontinued and not really anyone has them in stock. The Speed Vspec 2 Worlds engine likely has no changes internally just a drilled head and someones name and World Champ written on it. I would get a JX21, There is a regular and a drilled head version. they are alot cheaper with the same performance and internals as the speed engines. Also i think the JX comes with a free XL T shirt.
The JX and Speeds do not have the same internals. One is 5 port and the other is 3 port. One has ceramic bearing, the other steel. The Speed crank is double slugged and filled, the JX has none of that. Only thing is that both have DLC coating. Adding to that, the JX rod looks like a Speed version, but doesn't have the poslished finish. This is what makes the differences in price. Also, JX I think only has one carb insert, 8mm or 7mm, depending if its a B01 or B01A, Speed has all 3 carb inserts.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jbergman
Buy TKO ceramics from amain hobbies and you wont have any problems
Originally Posted by ehames005
I have boca ceramic bearings in my V-spec and I have 9+ gallons on it and no it has not been pinched. So my experince is that they are a good long lasting motor
Okey, thank you boys.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitrorcracer
I think you got a bad one, my friend has 10 gallons on his stock vspec with out getting anything replaced! I have an eb mods thats on its 3 gallon perfect! and a new one on 1 1/4 gallon runs great. I did have another eb mods that was total junk, that was my fault, i bought it used. It had more fuel time then what was stated. But thats water under the bridge. O.S. Is my first choice so far.
i definitely got a bad one..The reason I am still pissed is I never even mounted the engine to the chassis, it was so bad..and OS totally blew me off, that's were my deep rooted hatred comes from. Everyone gets a lemon, now and then..its all about how the factory/retailer treat you after that that forever stays with you
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Reading this thread is very encouraging. I have had 2 O.S. Speed motors. One in a Losi 8, the other in a MBX5T. The one in The Mugen Didn't even have a gallon through it before I sold it and upgraded. The One in the Losi 8 was sold, as was the buggy before the motor had ever seen a drop of fuel or the car had ever seen the ground. You guys are talking 10 gallons!! That's pretty sick! My question is I have just bought a used VZ-R, and have purchased a Speed Crank and Speed rod for it. Has any one heard of installing these parts in this motor? I've heard the stock Rod is a little weak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.