Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Baja 5B problems after put on rear DDM pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default HPI Baja 5B problems after put on rear DDM pipe

Ill start with ever since i had this car when it warmed up after 15-20 it would bog out and stall. (BAJA is only 2 weeks old) Now i kept getting the same problem with the DDM pipe so i put the needles back to factory. I ran it today on stock needle settings and the car bogged and died after it got warm again. Now it wont even start back up!! So i cant even let it run and take a look at the sparkplug which i planned to do? Im running 25:1 87 gasoline mixture and tried two different spark plugs and yes the air filter is clean. Why wont it start? This baja is turning out to be problems which im surprised of.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by RaV3N
Ill start with ever since i had this car when it warmed up after 15-20 it would bog out and stall. (BAJA is only 2 weeks old) Now i kept getting the same problem with the DDM pipe so i put the needles back to factory. I ran it today on stock needle settings and the car bogged and died after it got warm again. Now it wont even start back up!! So i cant even let it run and take a look at the sparkplug which i planned to do? Im running 25:1 87 gasoline mixture and tried two different spark plugs and yes the air filter is clean. Why wont it start? This baja is turning out to be problems which im surprised of.
Take a look here for all your baja related questions. www.hpibajaforum.com
If it's bogging while it's warm it almost sounds like an air leak.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Yes i have a post on there, havent gotten any responses all day. Im starting to think more and more its an air leak. I will find out when i run it and wait for it to die on rich settings and check the spark plug. If its white there has to be a leak.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Did you removing the head or anything on the motor or did you just install the exhaust?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

I just bolted on the pipe. The eninge is brand new. I just got her started again and as soon as she warmed up I heard the idle go up and i picked her up n she stalled in my hands. I pulled out the plug and it was chocolate brown on factory needle settings.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RaV3N
I just bolted on the pipe. The eninge is brand new. I just got her started again and as soon as she warmed up I heard the idle go up and i picked her up n she stalled in my hands. I pulled out the plug and it was chocolate brown on factory needle settings.
Hmmm, normally an air leak would turn the plug white but I'm wondering if it's just idling if it would really make it a noticeable white color. Take something like carb cleaner and spray it around the head and carb while it idles, if you notice an increase in the idle then it's leaking somewhere. If nothing shows up there I'm wondering if you have a bad carb. Not to many people have had engine issues out of the box but I suppose there is always a first. Whatever you do just keep working on it because once you get the problem solved you will love the ease of gas.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

There were a few things that needed attention on the Baja's, and may not have anything to due with your situation, but here's another thing to try.....Take the spark plug out and hold it against the engine and pull the engine over, see if the spark looks good and strong. If its a weak spark try another plug. If its still a weak spark, the coil gap may be wrong causing a weak spark and will need to be adjusted to the correct gap, a business card works great for setting the gap. This was something on the RTR's that was a major problem when they first came out. Also I remember something about some screws inside the filter area that needed to be checked from time to time that could cause a airleak.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Some of the engines have a leaky head gasket. The air leak will, of course, cause big time tuning problems. Once you get it going, though, a baja will run for a few hours straight without issue (you can refuel while it's running...) and you may only need to touch the needles once in a blue moon.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oh, and check the exhaust gasket.