Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like you avatart Joel
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Serpent

Danny and I both had our clutches take a shit right off the bat. We both changed the clutches within 2 days of each other, and ever sense then, Dannys spring nut keeps coming loose. I have not spoken to him for a couple of days, so I am not sure what, if anything he has done to fix the problem yet, but I do know that he has had the same issue with his clutch
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default serpent clutch nut

Hey Bill this is Jerome ... Joel and I have been having the same problem with the spring nut coming loose. We put a little red locktite and so far its been good.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Right then guys n gals. Possibly looking at getting into 8th onroad. Currently race 8th offroad and raced 10th onroad electric before that. Been looking at the 966 car but what engine are most of you lot using? Been looking mainly at Nova Rossi engines or Mega engines. From looking at the pipes a few people use with these, i'm thinking of a 2015 and various manifolds. Now before i go spending my £'s i'm going to go see a national to check out what people use and how everything is run but what essentials/options do you recommend when running 8th onroad? The main thing for me would just to get the clutch/gearing set-up rite so i guess you all carry optional spurs and shoes etc? If anyone can help point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated. Also what tyre truers do you 'foamys' use

Cheers, Chaz
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Right then guys n gals. Possibly looking at getting into 8th onroad. Currently race 8th offroad and raced 10th onroad electric before that. Been looking at the 966 car but what engine are most of you lot using? Been looking mainly at Nova Rossi engines or Mega engines. From looking at the pipes a few people use with these, i'm thinking of a 2015 and various manifolds. Now before i go spending my £'s i'm going to go see a national to check out what people use and how everything is run but what essentials/options do you recommend when running 8th onroad? The main thing for me would just to get the clutch/gearing set-up rite so i guess you all carry optional spurs and shoes etc? If anyone can help point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated. Also what tyre truers do you 'foamys' use

Cheers, Chaz
I got myself 2 966 and 2 mega power packs. I ran the DZIII race version and I am very happy with it. Got a EM version as well.

Power packs come with all you need. engine pipe manifold and all the goodies.

Nova engines are great but you constantly need to replace conrods. And when I mean constantly, I mean after breakin, before the main after the main etc. I got a nice 359 sitting with its guts blown up because I forgot to replace the conrod after break in ran 2 heats.

Picco engines are great as well. but they dont have the conrod problem as novas do but then of course the life of the engine becomes an issue. Running one at the moment and havent blown it yet.

I hear OS is good as well and very solid. lots of top end so needs to be geared accordingly and the parts are cheap for it. (piston sleeve 90 usd vs 300 of the nova) Built like a rock...

but I would buy a cheap and solid engine for the first season that lets you drive and concentrate on the car. I believe Nova has a spec engine that is very solid performer.

Coming from Electric you will be able to put in good lap times even with slow motor because electric drivers are used to driving on tighter tracks vs the gas car drivers liking to let loose and drive on bigger tracks. (at least that what I see here. The good is good anyways) the biggest issue for an electric driver is setting the clutch and the shift point right and trying to understand what the motor wants.

good luck
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Hows that air filter work? I've never seen one like that before.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jonnokurt
Hows that air filter work? I've never seen one like that before.
which one? you mean the one encased in a plasic box?

Xceed just came out with a clear one out so you can see whats going on inside :P
Old 08-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Ooo classy. Noise reduction I see I see...
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jonnokurt
Ooo classy. Noise reduction I see I see...
when you have 10 of them running at the same time... it really doesnt matter

the only thing good about these boxes is that they look better than just a sponge stuck on the cool engine
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
Nova engines are great but you constantly need to replace conrods. And when I mean constantly, I mean after breakin, before the main after the main etc. I got a nice 359 sitting with its guts blown up because I forgot to replace the conrod after break in ran 2 heats.
Wow new conrod just about every race weekend!?!?!?! Think i might stay away from them for a while

Looks like i might go with the Mega engines tbh. Good parts back-up over here in the UK and a fair few people run them.

What tyres do you guys run then??? Xceed, Jaco, Enneti??? So many to choose from

Cheers, Chaz
Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow new conrod just about every race weekend!?!?!?! Think i might stay away from them for a while

Looks like i might go with the Mega engines tbh. Good parts back-up over here in the UK and a fair few people run them.

What tyres do you guys run then??? Xceed, Jaco, Enneti??? So many to choose from

Cheers, Chaz
Nah, that would be crazy. I had a nova that I used for a club racing and had gone for a year without needing to replace anything.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cheers, Chaz

No, for conrod, usually after break-in, i will change it, then it will last for awhile. NovaRossi is pretty much the best engine all around.

NovaRossi 359 has a conrod issue because for some strange reasons NovaRossi changed the pin to a smaller size. If you look at 35Plus21, Cordoba, or the new FLASH, they don't have this issue. Cordoba is the most powerful, and the new FLASH has better top end and run time. You won't be wrong using NovaRossi.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toughbeard

Coming from Electric you will be able to put in good lap times even with slow motor because electric drivers are used to driving on tighter tracks vs the gas car drivers liking to let loose and drive on bigger tracks. (at least that what I see here. The good is good anyways) the biggest issue for an electric driver is setting the clutch and the shift point right and trying to understand what the motor wants.

good luck

That is not always the case.

IMHO, electric racers tend to be smoother on throttle.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Ah right ok...so a 359 is a no no really in terms of overall reliabilty unless you do the checks and replacements frequently. I have been looking into getting a 35+21 though, does look like a nice bit of kit. Like the tyres....so many to choose from
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cheers, Chaz
Xceeds by far you wont be disappointed, especially the light weights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.