Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about racing again (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
ARB
Tech Initiate

Default Thinking about racing again (maybe)

Hello,
I have been out of the hobby for about 7 or 8 years now and I am interested in racing again. A lot has changed since I last raced. I want to race electric so can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages to the brushless systems. Also any info on the LiPo batteries would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, Tim

p.s. what the hell is a truggy???????
Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The most simple explanation is that equipment is getting much more efficient than it was in the past.

Brushless motors don't suffer from loss due to the brush resistance against the comm, less rotating mass for the rotor with the winds move out to the can and a few other benefits that make them overall more efficient. There is little maintenance required. Simply open up and blow it out and re-oil the bearings occasionally. No more cutting comms, replacing brushes, spring tuning, etc...

LiPo is a change in chemistry that allows for efficient delivery, higher average voltage, and less roll-off which equates to more power and longer run-time capabilities. A typical 4000-5000 LiPo on a 13.5 brushless motor will easily do 25+ on run-time. LiPo's are generally given a cycle life 1000+ charge cycles when treated properly.

You just need to take care and follow LiPo charging and balancing guidelines and not allow the pack to discharge below the recommended voltage.

As for a Truggy = Truck + Buggy Basically a 1/8 buggy with longer arms and larger tires.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nice summary. You said 1000 cycles on a battery? Are you for real? Like a year ago in a different forum people were seeing decrease in life after like 160 cycles.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I may be off...that's what I recall being touted by many of the LiPo manufacturers.

I haven't really followed up on those numbers though...I just charge and race.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi there! I just came back after about a 15 year hiatus.

Brushless motors are awesome! No more turning coms, or cutting brushes!! They keep thing simple, that's for sure.

LiPo's are amazing. You don't have to discharge them, and I can get about a half hour of run time off a 5300mah pack. You can use one battery for an entire race day. Even though you don't have to, you can top off your pack between heats.

The other major difference, compared to back in the day, is the 2.4ghz radio systems. No crystals are necessary, and you don't have to worry about interference - ever.

Racing R/C is so much better now-a-days. I'm enjoying myself, I think you will too.

One thing that hasn't changed - Team Associated is still on top of the game!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Your best bet if you plan on racing is going to your local track and see what cars and classes have the best turn outs. that way you will always have some one to race aginst.

Right now 1/10 2wd buggy and truck are still very popular in my area.
And the 1/8 burshless stuff is growing like crazy.

I my self have a 1/10 2wd truck the AE FT T4 and an electric converted 1/8 Losi 8ight buggy.

A truggy or (UMT) unlimited monster truck is basically a converted buggy that has evolved into its own class. they have larger tires longer A-arms and a longer wheel base, they are not as popular in my area as the 1/8 buggys
at the bigger races you will see 1 or 2 rounds of truggy and 4-8 rounds of buggy

1/10 the 2wd stuff is more popular than the 4wd buggy

good luck and what ever you do go with good brushless esc's and motors and a quality Lipo charger
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice summary. You said 1000 cycles on a battery? Are you for real? Like a year ago in a different forum people were seeing decrease in life after like 160 cycles.
Depending on the quality of the Li-po battery, and the way it's treated, they will last a long long time, more than likely, they can out live the car you buy them for. I've seen the same batteries live through several airplanes... even crashed a few times.(he was learning to fly... the hard way)
Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

It's a great time to be in electric racing. Come on back !!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just got back into it as well. When I got out electric sucked! Now I can't believe how great it is. Brushelss/Lipo has caused an electric revolution, and it's getting better every day. Nitro hasn't changed at all, other than the gas costing 4x as much.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I got back into it after about 14 years myself...put it this way, the last time I raced the Losi XX-T was the hot new stadium truck...and I just raced it again for the first time in 14 years this past weekend!

The initial outlay will be a little higher if you get a brushless speed control, motor, and Lipo, but it's so much better and you won't regret it. Plus, it will really help you be more competitive and if you spend enough money on high-end brushed mod motors and matched NiMh cells, you'll be spending about the same anyways with a lot more hassle.

Good luck - it's just as much fun as you remember!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It is tough getting back into this hobby with the way technology has changed. Although I've been back into RC for a little over a year, its mostly been with nitro. Trying to learn about lipos is a little crazy. Back then you didnt have to worry about the size of the battery, 2s 3s 4s and all that good stuff...you just charged up your top of the line 1700 SCRC Ni-Cad pack and slapped into your RC10 Team car. But LiPo and Brushless has made electric racing pretty awesome...
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
ARB
Tech Initiate

Glad to se that I am not the only one that has to relearn this stuff. I appreciate all of the advise.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ARB
Glad to se that I am not the only one that has to relearn this stuff. I appreciate all of the advise.
Thanks,
Tim
I took a 2-3 year break from this hobby and need to relearn everything.. It went from every once in a while you hear of a guy with a hacker brushless motor on 24 cells, to everyone running brushless and lipo. This hobby just keeps on advancing!