Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How do you plug this ps into a wall socket? >

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Scrad
I saw this thread and decided to purchase one of these bad boys. I needed an extra PS to take to the track with me since my current PS is too big and heavy. It looked pretty small, so that's what sold me plus the cheap price.

To those that have one, how much does it weight roughly?
already got mine...the shipping label says 3 lbs...looks like a shipping label bought from USPS online....anyways....this topic is really plenty help full...now i need to re-wire mine before i get an accident....
Old 10-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So the best plug to get for this would be an industrial extension cord, like the orange kind correct? What gauge should I get. I think the standard was like 16 rated for 13 amps or something at Walmart. Please let me know, because a cheapo one looked like it only had 2 wires not 3.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So the best plug to get for this would be an industrial extension cord, like the orange kind correct? What gauge should I get. I think the standard was like 16 rated for 13 amps or something at Walmart. Please let me know, because a cheapo one looked like it only had 2 wires not 3.
You need to get a grounded, three prong cord. You can always get a removable computer cord like you see on power supplies and monitors and use one of those.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Grab a 10' orange 3-prong one from Home Depot or WalMart or wherever you like to shop. Make sure both ends have 3 connections tho...there are some orangeies that are only 2-wire.

Pictures:

The wall end of a correct AC cable.
The PS end of a correctly termincated AC cable. I used heatshrink because my terminals were uninsulated. I suggest you guys buy the insulated type.
The business end of my power supply, with a properly terminated cable. Notice that black goes to L, white to N, and green to GND.

-dave
Old 10-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
You need to get a grounded, three prong cord. You can always get a removable computer cord like you see on power supplies and monitors and use one of those.
True, but be aware that the colors don't always match up, and if you buy ultra cheap ones, you might get one that's miswired (!). I've had it happen to me.

If you do get one, you'll usually find that colors are different: hot is the brown wire, neutral is blue and ground is green/yellow striped.

-dave
Old 10-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dpaton
True, but be aware that the colors don't always match up, and if you buy ultra cheap ones, you might get one that's miswired (!). I've had it happen to me.

If you do get one, you'll usually find that colors are different: hot is the brown wire, neutral is blue and ground is green/yellow striped.

-dave
Good point. I try to buy high quality so i don't have to deal with the problems that come with cheap parts.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
Good point. I try to buy high quality so i don't have to deal with the problems that come with cheap parts.
As do I, but after years of computer and audio gear moving through my hands, I have a surplus of them. Unfortunately, experience has taught me to only trust them after I test them. I had one that had hot and gnd swapped a few weeks back. Scary.

-dave
Old 10-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Talking

I got my PS yesterday. I got it wired up correctly and safely thanks to dpaton. This little powerhouse is awesome. It barely even got warm. Plus it is so small and light. People paying $100 bucks for PS are fools.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Got my PS in today, fired it up, and it stays at a steady 13.7 volts (according to my charger) at 5 amps, and holds a constant 13.4 volts at 8 amps. I've got to say, for the price paid, it's one heck of a power supply.

-Matt
Old 10-31-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Got mine, got a cord... Now just have to get to wiring it...
Old 10-31-2003, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Glad you guys are happy with them. Any more questions, feel free to post or PM me

-dave
Old 10-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

I wired mine up the other day... only cord i had available was a cheapie but it works fine. The advice on here and the pics really helped. I'm glad we can all save some money on at least one aspect of the hobby... god knows everything else can be so draining on the fun funds.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

I'm planning on wiring it up with a switch in a grounded junction box, so I'll eventually get mine going. I'm also thinking about building a charger stand, if I do I'm going to mount the power supply right to it.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Ok... Here's my setup... Couldnt find the charger for the digi-cam...
Old 11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Hmmm... didn't upload... Take 2...

Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-ps1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.