Need help in deciding

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Need help in deciding

Hi everyone

I guess you can say I am new to this era of RC, lol
I have owned an electric on-road car and a nitro on-road car, but I would have to say about 6 to 7 years ago, so my knowledge might be a little bit lacking

Now my question is I would like to purchase a new on-road electric car, but I am still looking at a nitro car (SOMEONE HAS TO SWAY MY DESCISION), by far am I a racer, but I would like something a can build myself (this is something my mind is set on) and maybe start some racing in the future

So does anyone have any KIT suggestions

Mike
Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Team Associated TC5. (electric) Good car, and not hard to work on at all. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are some good clubs in your area, so go to a club race and talk to people there. Unless it is a goal of yours to have a car that nobody else runs locally.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ive driven just about all the tc's on the market and the Losi JRXS-type r is by far the easiest to drive fast IMO
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After being out of the hobby for a while myself when I got back in I wanted an electric TC to build so I got myself a Hot Bodies Cyclone and I love it. It went together easily handles well out of the box and is extremely upgradable for when the time comes.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

The Xray T2007-T2009. Any one of these is i a great kit. It is much better than the grind this and cut that procedures in the Associated and other kits. Plus this is one of the greatest cars on the market. Would be a perfect choice for you.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know if I am going to get into racing anytime soon, I have alot of research to do abot that, so I decided not to go with the TC5 at this time

but these are the 3 cars I have narrowed it down to

2 Nitro cars

Team Associated Nitro TC3+ RTR
HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ RTR

1 Electric car

HPI Sprint 2 Flux Brushless RTR

If I were to get into racing I would probably purchase a kit later and go from there

what would be peoples choices for the above three cars that I listed
any help would be appreciated
Thanks Mike
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Well you have to ask yourself this. Do you want to be able to charge battery and go out and run the car, or do you want to tune engines and mess with fuel. I like both gas and electric but my advice for a beginner go electric, because it is simpler, all you have to do is charge and go.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

well last night I went to bed thinking what I wanted to do
I have 100% decided I want to go electric and I want it to be a RTR car for my first one

I have my eyes on the HPI Sprint 2 Flux Brushless RTR car

Now that I have narrowed it down do you think this is a good first car??
Or are there any others in the 300 to 400 dollar range??

Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by pantherblack
I have 100% decided I want to go electric and I want it to be a RTR car for my first one

Mike

I would ask you one question, and that question will decide if this is the right choice or not. Are you going to race or bash?

If the answer is to race, and I mean like at some local club events, than NO, this is not a good choice since it will not fit into any classes as it comes.

If the answer is to bash, meaning in your driveway, street, parking lot, than that will be a fine choice, BUT, if you ever want to get into club racing, this car will not work as is.

The difference between the HPI Sprint 2 Flux and Associated TC5 are huge. The TC5 is a great racer for carpet or pavement racing, even a good basher too. Car's competing against the TC5 are numerous, but the HPI Sprint 2 Flux is not one of them.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

well last night I went to bed thinking what I wanted to do

Mike
Well if you have 300 to 400 range, there is a lot better choices than HPI Sprint 2. I have nothing against this car, it already has everything good enough for club race or bashing. Just if I were you I would buy a car which I can tune it into a competitive one just in case I may join some races or jealous of others' carbon upgrade kit (it looks nicer though) A Cyclone S RTR kit will only cost you around 250, the rest of money you can use for upgrading your electronics or light weight suspension/chassis parts depending on your needs. All above I would say is very subjective, there is no right and wrong answers for your question, as long as you feel happy about your choice , then have fun. If you regret later on, that is a lesson learn isn't it. I have seen some examples that a TA05R beat TRF416 on the track, so who knows, you might be an expert of Sprint 2
Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 05forfun
Well if you have 300 to 400 range, there is a lot better choices than HPI Sprint 2. I have nothing against this car, it already has everything good enough for club race or bashing. Just if I were you I would buy a car which I can tune it into a competitive one just in case I may join some races or jealous of others' carbon upgrade kit (it looks nicer though) A Cyclone S RTR kit will only cost you around 250, the rest of money you can use for upgrading your electronics or light weight suspension/chassis parts depending on your needs. All above I would say is very subjective, there is no right and wrong answers for your question, as long as you feel happy about your choice , then have fun. If you regret later on, that is a lesson learn isn't it. I have seen some examples that a TA05R beat TRF416 on the track, so who knows, you might be an expert of Sprint 2

A cyclone TC would be nice, but the price is pushing it, at 399 US that is about 480 canadian

The cyclone S would be a good choice for me as stated above I could upgrade parts and electronics whenever I wanted to and if for some reason I got into racing this woul dbe a good starter car

So when I order this car is there any parts I should upgrade right out of the box, cause I have no idea what to upgrade and what that upgrade will do, other than add some strength

thanks for all the help
mike
Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Parts parts parts...

You really need to find a car that has local support. If the car has parts - not just kits available - that should be a strong consideration.

If you are bashing (or racing) and break something - you don't want to have to order parts from another country and wait weeks for a $1 part that cost $6 to ship.

9 out of 10 R/C cars purchased are NOT raced (but this includes things like Radio Shack cars) but to bash
Old 01-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

A cyclone TC would be nice, but the price is pushing it, at 399 US that is about 480 canadian

The cyclone S would be a good choice for me as stated above I could upgrade parts and electronics whenever I wanted to and if for some reason I got into racing this woul dbe a good starter car

So when I order this car is there any parts I should upgrade right out of the box, cause I have no idea what to upgrade and what that upgrade will do, other than add some strength

thanks for all the help
mike
Hey slow down Mike, there is nothing you necessarily need to upgrade right after opening the box. Take your time playing it around (better on the track or flat pavement), if you have partner to play with you will be easily notice the difference between two cars, then you can start to think about upgrade. I don't know what motor you are going to use but don't start with very fast one,19T brushed/17.5 brushless may be a good choice.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 05forfun
Hey slow down Mike, there is nothing you necessarily need to upgrade right after opening the box. Take your time playing it around (better on the track or flat pavement), if you have partner to play with you will be easily notice the difference between two cars, then you can start to think about upgrade. I don't know what motor you are going to use but don't start with very fast one,19T brushed/17.5 brushless may be a good choice.

NO NO I didn't mean I was going to upgrade right away, I just asked if there were some parts that I SHOULD upgrade for added strength and durability right of the bat

as for the motor, is there any brands I should stay away from??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.