Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro engines on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Nitro engines on a budget

OK i no this mat have been posted but i have been doing some research on nitro engines on the market i am a club racer so funds are on a budget so last year i ran a Bog standard Picco
designed for Buggies eg 3port well all i did was set the engine up Wow!!!! it lasted all the season and kept up with the pros even surprised one or two it did go through a phew plugs and engine seals cos the pipe was not the proper fit but was good fun. i have asked various people on .21 engines price is a major thing these days i am trying another buggy engine and this is well faster then the other one it is under £100 pounds so it is possible to race on a budget
P.s the Picco is still going strong
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Lord

Nice!
I know these engines will do fine on short tracks, maybe even better because the bottom power but I think on large tracks there is a rpm shortage to keep up the faster motors.

You can take a look to the Novarossi Basic, the 3 ports and the 5 ports have a very good price and for a bit more you have the 7 ports version. With a bit wider budget you can take a look to the JP P7L which isa very competive engine for its price.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Yes the novarossi basic engines are the ideal option for you... im thinking the same thing for my MTX4R.... the engine is about 140$!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

have a look at the os engine or maybe the go engines you can get for under $200.
cheers
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

the os 18tz nice choice if allowed, 140 in the us, and superb power
Old 01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Now i am getting daring just recived a Hyper 21 8 port from the fare east to review just run in and tuned WOW !!!!! How fast and smooth power delivery not tune spot on yet this is simular to there off road 5 port they have sent it as a sample if i like they will give me a special price they said under £100 pounds to other drivers are going to meet up with me at the track for a test ...

Thanks for the coments on the above engine there is a rpm problem only seems to be problem on a long straight.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Have a look at STS motors. Bang for your buck you can't go wrong. They are just as fast as all the big name, $600+ engines if not faster than some (tune plays a big part)
I have the d30m in my buggy, yes you can race this in club racing, and it propells it into light speed, it's got an absolute massive amount of torque and is almost as loud as a little pee wee 80 motor bike.
My very first race motor was the STS d12e, it has all the same specs as the more expensive ones and performs just as good, it was a very competitive motor for me and for under $180AUD how can you go wrong. The porting in the sleeves is top notch aswell.

PS: Why don't you do what a lot of others do and layby a motor. I do this for all the expensive things i need for example the d30m, a 1:18 electric truck kit, spektrum set up, car and truck kits etc. So a $400-$600 RB or Novarossi is really affordable over say a 2-3 week period especially when you have kids and other financial responsibilities. If your local hobby shop doesn't do layby tell them to get with the times and to take down a payment
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Honestly the best bang for your buck for a top competitive engine is the Picco EVO3 either .12 or .21, the .12 are under $200 and the .21 under $300,i have been running Picco for five years now and never had major issues with them,JMO
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WoodPecker
Honestly the best bang for your buck for a top competitive engine is the Picco EVO3 either .12 or .21, the .12 are under $200 and the .21 under $300,i have been running Picco for five years now and never had major issues with them,JMO
did i mention on a budget some were $300

i had a look at the sts i did have one in a 1:10th not bad as a club driver the engine is a major price you see the top drivers with all the top engines but they get them cheep from sponsors the off road comunity have been using cheap engines for age's so engine manufactur's get the prices down
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Lord

[QUOTE=Northern.dj;5268232you see the top drivers with all the top engines but they get them cheep from sponsors the off road comunity have been using cheap engines for age's so engine manufactur's get the prices down[/QUOTE]

Be sure about one thing, you can never be a toplevel driver with offroad engines, the total performance of such an engine is less.
Beside that, if you tune up an offroad engine to get onroad specs there is a high chance the conrod and/or piston will explode due the higer forces on higher rpm. There is a different choice on materials for an offroad engine what will make the engine cheaper, the choice for weaker materials is not only cheaper on the materials itself but there is also also in a shorter machinetime for making the parts and less maintenance on the machinery.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Its nice to see that it at least works. I'll probally use a Picco p9 Evo3 for racing and an RB s3 or s5 for practice. (I use them in my nitrobuggy so I have spares)

Even if they do let go, an entire s3 costs less than just maintenance on a race motor. ($180)

The onroad parts are stronger for sure, but how much? On small tracks will it even matter?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by freestyles
Have a look at STS motors. Bang for your buck you can't go wrong. They are just as fast as all the big name, $600+ engines if not faster than some (tune plays a big part)
100% right, a d12EX yes an EX with a good tune and the STS pipe can run out most of the High $$$ engines, I can post a video next weekend of a D12EX performing..

Just my .2
Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Where do you guys get the sts engines because i have a sts rs3 from two years ago and has only one gallon through it and has a good pinch but i can never find any pipes for it that are made by sts
Old 04-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)

Originally Posted by beta bob
Where do you guys get the sts engines because i have a sts rs3 from two years ago and has only one gallon through it and has a good pinch but i can never find any pipes for it that are made by sts
Click here Rc-toro.com they have STS engines...