Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Charger for Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Lipo Charger for Nitro

I'm new at this so if this is long I'm sorry. I am building a Jammin x2 Truggy and was desiding if I should use a Lipo recevier pack or standerd hump pack? I purchased a OFNA Truggy starter box from my lhs and they also sold me a 2200 mah 4 cell Lipo pack (REEDY) for the starter box. I would like to go all lipo for the truggy and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with doing this.
If I go all Lipo I need a charger that would charge both (4cell 2200mah lipo and a 2 cell recevier lipo). I was looking at the team checkpoint 1030. It can charge the 4 cell lipo but the extra balence unit only does 3 cell. I would also need a power supplie with this charger.
The other charger I was looking at was the Hyperion 0606i. This charger I belive can charger both and balence both. I also DO NOT think that I would need a power supplied.
One last thing for now, If the lipo receiver pack is the way to go which one is the best to use. Thanks for all your help,and I hope I didn't forget anything.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

just be cautious of lip rec packs.. i have heard horror stories. a lot of people use them with good success though. i would take a look at the odonnel charger. they seem to be pretty good from what i have seen
Old 12-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Purdue Engineer
I'm new at this so if this is long I'm sorry. I am building a Jammin x2 Truggy and was desiding if I should use a Lipo recevier pack or standerd hump pack? I purchased a OFNA Truggy starter box from my lhs and they also sold me a 2200 mah 4 cell Lipo pack (REEDY) for the starter box. I would like to go all lipo for the truggy and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with doing this.
If I go all Lipo I need a charger that would charge both (4cell 2200mah lipo and a 2 cell recevier lipo). I was looking at the team checkpoint 1030. It can charge the 4 cell lipo but the extra balence unit only does 3 cell. I would also need a power supplie with this charger.
The other charger I was looking at was the Hyperion 0606i. This charger I belive can charger both and balence both. I also DO NOT think that I would need a power supplied.
One last thing for now, If the lipo receiver pack is the way to go which one is the best to use. Thanks for all your help,and I hope I didn't forget anything.
for the rx pack try this

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14982

for the regulator you will need try this

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14986

for the charger you may wanna be able to charge every battery there is if so try this ...but you will have to have a balancer with this unit ...the checkpoint wont do gel cell and lead acid

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14986

and the 606i is one of the better chargers also ,,,,,,,your on the right track ....you can get a cheaper rx pack and regulator ...but the ht regulator and switch has nice features ...such as the built in safety that if something in there fails it defaults to the on position so you can keep on running and not running away also you can stuff it in the rx box along with everything else ...other regulators they recommend to mount outside the box
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have Lipo in my truggy and buggy. I'm beginning to think it's not worth putting them in. I like the long run time and power output. In the RC8 it's jammed in there battery, Rx, regulator plus you need some airflow over the regulator. Mine is double sided tape to the top side of the cover. I ran into the problem of the high powered servos in my truggy the regulator (Losi 6amp)didn't supply enough amps so it would shut down not good. Thankfully there are regulators that have higher amp rating.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I haven't had an issue running Lipo as a receiver pack yet. I am using BLS451 servos and 9351 and 9351's, depending on the set up. I am using the castle regulator.

As for a charger, look at the Onyx lineup. I am currently using the Multiplex, Checkpoint, and the Hyperion AC/DC.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
I have Lipo in my truggy and buggy. I'm beginning to think it's not worth putting them in. I like the long run time and power output. In the RC8 it's jammed in there battery, Rx, regulator plus you need some airflow over the regulator. Mine is double sided tape to the top side of the cover. I ran into the problem of the high powered servos in my truggy the regulator (Losi 6amp)didn't supply enough amps so it would shut down not good. Thankfully there are regulators that have higher amp rating.
tyr the ht batteries 7volt regulator ....thats what im running this year ...cuz of the same reason servos are drawing more and more ...not knocking losi products but i have seen more losi lipo rx setups fail at the track then any others ....my opinion only from what ive witnessed
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Losi battery with Muchmore 7A max 9amp. I'm not knocking Losi regulator just couldn't keep up with 2 digitial servo hitec titanium and KO in the truggy. Good thing I figured the problem out before the race season started. Multi-meter my best friend in finding the problem.

I'm using Dynamite vision peak ultra charger does all 3 battery styles
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help. Some of the chargers that were talked about only charge 2-3 cell lipos. I have that 4 cell REEDY starter box lipo. I like the HT charger but it only does lipos. If something should happen or I need to change, I would need one to also do Nimh. The Hyperion 0606i does all types up to 6 cells.
How well does it work with AC? I reelly don't want to buy a power supplie unless it is better to charge with DC. Also the 7 volt regulator by HT seems like the way to go for a truggy. I will be using two Hitec ht-7955tg servos (T/B and steering). Do I replace the switch that comes with the radieo/recevier with the HT one?
Thanks , Sorry I'm a Rookie that researches alot
Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That 0606i charger will handle things fine on AC, your 4S will charge at 2.2amps and thats no prob for that charger on AC. That charger is a 50watt output charger. That would not be a good charger for a 5000mah 6S lipo since the charger will limit the current to stay under its 50watt limit, but those kind of lipo are for elect brushless setups anyway. 0606i will charge a 6S, but not at a 1C (5amp) rate - it will just take longer.

Thats big diff in AC/DC and a DC only chargers - DC will generally have higher output, my 0610iNet is 250watt rated and I charge 5S and 6S a123 batts at 10amps.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

also be sure to make sure your balance leads with the charger you choose match balance leads on your batteries..this will save soldiering time and if you balance your lipos they will last longer..before with electric rcs and lipos i never balanced my lipos and those lipos i had eventually swelled and were no longer good..when i went all lipo/nitro(very convenient all the way around)I made sure i balanced all these packs to gaurentee there longevity, and i did have to soldier balance leads on some of my packs which in the long run would have been easier and about same price if i would have bought same brand charger&packs..
Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/iMAX-B6-Lipo-Bal...3A2%7C294%3A50

I have been very happy with it. It can charge anything. Mine came with all the most popular charging connectors. I paid around $90.00 about a year ago for mine. I see that the price is now almost half of what they were a year ago.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

I think im going with the hyperion 0606i charger. For the receciver lipo battery, ht , reedy, maxamps or pro-tek. I will also get the 7 v regulater from ht. Will the balence adapter that comes with the charger work with all of these batteries or do I need something different? Also, will the recevier plug on these batteries fit in the specktrum recevier dsm2 31000 box. I noticed on a main hobbies that they have plugs for jr, airtronics, and futaba. Are all of these the same? By the way, the 4 cell lipo starter box lipo will have deans plugs. A link to all adapeters would be great. Thanks again f orall the help.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't know which balance adapter your 0606i will come with (forget), but there are a total of 4 diff ones (3 besides the one included with charger) that will fit 99% of the taps out there. They start with the 9th item on this page -

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPat...t_order&page=2

Protec is not listed, but I use 3S Protek lipo for a tx batt and it uses the XH adapter (its known as a JST balance tap), Maxamps uses the HP adapter and the other I don't know.

I use a 0610iNet charger adn I just bought all of them so I can always connect balance tap on whatever lipo I'm charging.

Servo plugs - futaba casts a small tab on the side of their plugs so you get the polarity right - can only insert one way - the rx has a space for the tab so it only goes in one way. You can trim tab off and use in in other rxs - black (-) is to the outside of the rx and thats for almost all of them. I don't know the answer to the spectrum rx though - but guess it is the same as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

you cant go wrong w/the 0606i...once you get everything just be patient in case there is more you will need. rather than soldier id get a balance lead conversion pack, only if you see you need it, once you get the leads in your hands and know for sure..i have a ternergy charger and it uses eflite&align and a couple others..
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

HT charger cost less than most out there. this thing is dead easy to use and charges everything, to include my LIPO receiver packs, transmitter packs, Starter box LIPO battery...it balance charges everything, so i am basically running the very same batteries from last year with zero issues.

http://htbatteries.com/