Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should Stock Brushed Motors go away in higher level events? >

Should Stock Brushed Motors go away in higher level events?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Stock Brushed Motors go away in higher level events?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hatebreed
cant really understand the word increased costs in brushless at all..

ok, you have to pay $200-300 for a brushless system BUT!

the motor will last for a long time, say 2 years for example (probably alot longer if you just are keeping the motor in good shape)

HOW MUCH ARE YOU SPENDING ON MOTORS, BRUSHES, BRUSHSPRINGS ETC IN 2 YEARS?

probably ALOT more... brushless has a high starting price, but it will save you money in the long run! pretty simple..

and you dont have to spend the time with cutting the com, tune the motor etc..

alot of people has tuned their speedos and stuff with laptop for years, its not a new thing just because of brushless..
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
also.. a new bl motor is priced something $50-100.. how much is a brushed stock motor costing under its lifetime with brushes etc??? calculate that!
+1

Don't forget the cost of a motor lathe. Possibly a magnet zapper too! Factor in those two costs and brushless is cheaper. It also allows racers more time to focus on chassis setup and maintenance.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think it will be ok to make all the sanctioned regional and national races brushless. Keep the rules for brushed so there will not be confusion for racers and manufactures don't go crazy on maying some uber stock motors.

I am sure there will be "Motor Builders Classic" carpet race held every winter in Florida.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default The Motor

Really Dawn why is this even an issue? If the A mains are populated by brushless motors and faster drivers what’s the argument unless, it’s a problem in the lower mains? If so then were talking about something all together different aren’t we…

All us brushed guys and perhaps there is just a few, all we want to do is compete and compete with the class of the field until proven we don’t have the skill or the pace. We want to be involved in the hobby our choice of motors, differentials, shock’s, and tire’s as well as the car itself. If brushed motors go away let the completion dictate their end.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Do away with brushed motors all together.....Make everyones life easier. I hope I never have to use one again!!

EA
My thoughts exactly
I would never waste my money going to a "Brushed Motor" race... yuck
Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I think BL is bringing people to the hobby that otherwise would't. I just started racing 1/12th this last weekend, and I think if I had to run brushed I probably never would have started. I have enough to learn without having to learn to "tweak" a motor.
With BL and Lipo begginers can buy the stuff and go racing at the local level, and be competitive from an equipment standpoint.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

A better question might be why do will have high level stock events? Stock for us club racers super stock or mod for the pros.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
A better question might be why do will have high level stock events? Stock for us club racers super stock or mod for the pros.
Aren't there like fifty some odd treads dedicated to this question, all with no resolution?

Everyone agrees this should be addressed, but no one can agree on a solution.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Legend

Easy solution
Novice
Intermediate
Expert

problem solved .....
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Easy solution
Novice
Intermediate
Expert

problem solved .....

Yea, right.

If it were that easy, don't you think we would have done it already?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Legend

Only reason it has not been done already is because Roar does not what to rank drivers ....

Ps We all know the decline in Sedan is
due this very problem ....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 12-23-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Lord

Only reason it has not been done already is because Roar does not what to rank drivers ....

Wrong. As usual.

It is impossible to come up with a ranking system that everyone will agree on. Also, there simply aren't enough racers for a national ranking system to be fair. Someone tried to do a national ranking system, and put a lot of energy into doing it. It failed miserably.

And what decline in touring car? If anything touring car is experiencing a strong surge, thanks to LiPo batteries and brushless motors. There are even some who have left 1/12 because they can't run lipo (yet).

Actually brushed stock motors really only have one home left, and that's 1/12 scale. And that's only because of the minimum weight limit which is being discussed. If the 1/12 limit is raised to take away the weight break that brushed motors have, everyone would run brushless motors in stock, save a few holdouts.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can't believe I'm going to type this... I agree with Cherry. I wish races were one motor class, and separated by skill. The reason... cost!

Sure, I only need to keep a 3.5,4.5, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5, and a 10.5 and they will allow me to run competively in mod in both on-road and off-road. Then if somebody has a better motor, I just motor up to my more powerful one. No way, am I good enough to run a 3.5, so that's just in there for kicks.

Compared to Stock and Super Stock, I have to get the motor of the month, and my old motor is a paper weight so that I can gain that 10th of a second. And Yes, there is one class where I tend to vary on laps, by less than a 10th throughout the entire run. 1/12th SS on Asphalt. So motor of the month is important for this class. On carpet, in this class, I'm a wreck though.

As for brushed motors... we have several racers who use them locally, so I can't officially dump them yet, as they'll jump ship most likely. *sigh*

Can you bring back hand out motors for stock classes in brushless. That seemed to go over very well at the IIC this past fall.

PB
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

At the last Carpet Nats in Omaha the top 14 racers were running brushed in 17.5/27T TC's!! CO27's to be exact, even the Reedy team, and alot of the Novak racers. It was the first of the BYOM races. I think we should do away with the 17.5/27T class altogether. Just 13.5 and Mod if you want my 2 cents. In 17.5 we are running spurs for pinions!!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you know, i was standing up in the shop at Trackside last week talking to one of the guys workin the counter, and someone came in and asked for brushes. He looked at him like he was nuts and then i asked "what are brushes?" even the "stock" class guys at our track are running the 17.5 brushless motors.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

one more thing...i like the idea of brushless motors. It makes it easier to bring the class you are racing in closer to a "spec" class. When i run 13.5 now instead of stock TC, i don't have to worry about getting beat by another driver cause he knows a few more tricks to building a motor then i do or he has someone who has been building motors for years building them for him. Granted, you're gonna get some guys who "might" figure out how to "tweak" a brushless motor, but generally they all perform pretty close to the same. I like being able to put my car on the track now and know that if i got beat it was because the guy who beat me DROVE better then I did and not because his motor was faster then mine. Also, with brushless motors, i've got more time to spend on my set up and checking my car over rather then spending my time between races building motors. Brushless motor=$80 once, brushed motor = $30 once a month. Do the math....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.