Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Brushless Sounds Really Bad - Manufacturer Says It's Fine - What To Do? >

New Brushless Sounds Really Bad - Manufacturer Says It's Fine - What To Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Brushless Sounds Really Bad - Manufacturer Says It's Fine - What To Do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default New Brushless Sounds Really Bad - Manufacturer Says It's Fine - What To Do?

Hi all,

I brought the Losi Xcelorin Combo a few weeks ago - i chose the 13.5T sensored version.

I'm pleased with the kit so far, but when i run the unit the motor sounds really really harsh and nasty - significantly louder than my brushed motor even.

I returned the motor to the retailer, who sent it to the manufacturer for testing. The report says that the engineer agreed that it was very noisy and replacing the bearings did not fix this. The rotor is not rubbing inside and floats freely between the bearings. As the motor isn't losing any performance, a replacement will not be offered.

So i've got a combo kit with a motor that sounds dreadful. Question is, what do i do now? Put up with the noisy motor, run it a few more times and see if it improves, demand a refund? Can anyone offer any advice as to why the unit might be so loud please and if it is a concern?

I would like to point out that it doesnt just sound slightly off, it's not far off being as loud as loud as a nitro when going round the track.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

See if they would replace it.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Wow. I could understand if all their motors made that sound and they didn't replace it, but even the unusual sound that it was making didn't warrant a replacement by the mfr. That's just bad customer service. I'd sell that Losi Excelorin Combo and buy a Novak or LRP Combo.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Dark_gouki,

Thanks for the reply. Is that the best thing to do - i mean the motor is definetly foo-barred then? I imagine returning it will be quite difficult if the manufacturer didn't find fault. Is anyone aware if the motors are actually supposed to sound like this? The retailer says i should just run it in some more. Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this please?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MACHFIVE
I'd sell that Losi Excelorin Combo .
Remind me not to buy anything from MACHFIVE . If he thinks something is wrong with it and sells it then wouldn't he be doing the same thing to someone else that Losi did to him??
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Wow. I could understand if all their motors made that sound and they didn't replace it, but even the unusual sound that it was making didn't warrant a replacement by the mfr. That's just bad customer service. I'd sell that Losi Excelorin Combo and buy a Novak or LRP Combo.
So the unusual sound implies that there is definitely something wrong with it then? Cheers.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Andysan
Hi Dark_gouki,

Thanks for the reply. Is that the best thing to do - i mean the motor is definetly foo-barred then? I imagine returning it will be quite difficult if the manufacturer didn't find fault. Is anyone aware if the motors are actually supposed to sound like this? The retailer says i should just run it in some more. Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this please?
My brother in law has a motor like this (different brand). We cant figure out what is causing the noise but it runs fine. Are there scratches on the rotor? Do the bearings seem OK?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

the person to buy it would be someone who knows how to get rid of that sound. im sure someone on this forum has a clue on how to fix this.??!!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by or8ital
Remind me not to buy anything from MACHFIVE . If he thinks something is wrong with it and sells it then wouldn't he be doing the same thing to someone else that Losi did to him??
Ok, maybe I should have said "ask for a refund".

or8ital - I got a great BL combo available if you want it. Sounds great!!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Ok, maybe I should have said "ask for a refund".
Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What type of vehicle is this in? Pitch of pinion/spur? Possibly the increased power damaged some drivetrain components on your ride?

I would try it in a different vehicle as well to determine if it is in fact the motor itself.

The thing I don't get is if Losi themselves said the motor was loud, it HAS to be hurting performance. Sound=vibration=less efficient etc.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Wow - thanks for all the responses guys & girls!

Originally Posted by or8ital
My brother in law has a motor like this (different brand). We cant figure out what is causing the noise but it runs fine. Are there scratches on the rotor? Do the bearings seem OK?
How long has it been running for without problems? All appears to be fine, i took the original bearings out and they felt fine - the bearings have been since been replaced also. I haven't taken it apart myself yet seeing as i preffered just to send it back, but the engineers report says that he couldnt find anything wrong with it (bar the noise).
Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC_Dan
What type of vehicle is this in? Pitch of pinion/spur? Possibly the increased power damaged some drivetrain components on your ride?

I would try it in a different vehicle as well to determine if it is in fact the motor itself.

The thing I don't get is if Losi themselves said the motor was loud, it HAS to be hurting performance. Sound=vibration=less efficient etc.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that i tried the motor (gently, didnt rev the bajeebus outta it) with no load before i even bolted it into the car and it was making this noise - hence i don't see what i could have done to damage it - it even comes presoldered.

I appreciate that your comments are completely valid though, as i hadnt mentioned that it was noisy before i even put it near the car.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Andysan
Wow - thanks for all the responses guys & girls!

How long has it been running for without problems? All appears to be fine, i took the original bearings out and they felt fine - the bearings have been since been replaced also. I haven't taken it apart myself yet seeing as i preffered just to send it back, but the engineers report says that he couldnt find anything wrong with it (bar the noise).
He has been running it a year without problems. I would also try a different sensor cable. Some ESCs will drive the motor without a sensor cable but it will sound really bad and the performance wont be great. My brother in laws motor is loud but not Nitro engine loud. Without a sensor cable it will be really loud.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Hmmm...might try removing the sensor cable then and if it sounds no worse then might try another one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.