Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 On road expense.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/8 On road expense.........

I am thinking about 1/8th on-road this year and everyone that I talk to "Off Road Guys" are telling me to stay away due to cost. What are the major week to week things that the cars need? How many engines per season? I would imagine the cars mill thru Tires quickly, is there anywhere that sells tires reasonably? I would probably run 1/8th Sportsman in the Midwest series as long as that class has plenty of entries. What would be a good car and engine to start with? I have raced 1/12th mod so I am not afraid of Rip

Major Worries=Tires and Engines

Thank You Guys

Dax
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tires for sure, Bodies (if you like bouncing of boards), motors arent so bad if your doing club racing and not going for overkill. I know Picco has the P9 for about 400 stock, and if yhou want it modified about 100 bucks more. Ive just recently started again and am doing fine with 2 motors. The saying goes you get what you put into it.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dmatter
I am thinking about 1/8th on-road this year and everyone that I talk to "Off Road Guys" are telling me to stay away due to cost. What are the major week to week things that the cars need? How many engines per season? I would imagine the cars mill thru Tires quickly, is there anywhere that sells tires reasonably? I would probably run 1/8th Sportsman in the Midwest series as long as that class has plenty of entries. What would be a good car and engine to start with? I have raced 1/12th mod so I am not afraid of Rip

Thank You Guys

Dax
...it's just overall expense..............1/8 cars just eat parts faster..........especially when you smack walls like i do.......more power = more tire wear...more clutch wear..........rods, piston/sleeves wear out........your fuel bill will be higher with a .21 as opposed to .12......come race at woodville with us.......... www.oneeighthracers.com the track is fairly easy on tires as opposed to some others...... i lasted all last season on 1 engine and it still has quite a bit of pinch left, but i will be replacing the rod and see how long she runs before the big KABOOM........i wish 1/8 2WD would come back as i would like to see more new faces getting into the hobby........this economy isn't helping matters...............
Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Engines and tires are really your biggest expenses. One long main will eat up a set of tires easily and if you are really competitive, you will probably eat up at least two to three sets every raceday. To keep up with the top guys, you will probably have to shell out $500+ for an engine easily. Here in Texas, we had a spec class that concentrated on engines $300 and under. However, they decided to do a spec fuel as well and that helped to turn many off from the class because we all had our favorite fuels that we liked to us.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Cost for 1/8 on-road!

The cost for on-road if you are buying everything new can get expensive. Motors are the most expensive, but since you are new to 1/8 and running sportsman class, you should be able to make a 2 motors last the whole season if you don't run the motor at 280 for ultimate performance and less life in the motor.

As for tires, several places online sell tires at $30 - $32 a set, which compared to off-road isn't bad. You will use more, but cost will balance out in my opinion over the season.

Midwest Series is great. I race at Toledo, Cincinnati and all the racers are great.

Thank You Guys

Dax
Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLock
Engines and tires are really your biggest expenses. One long main will eat up a set of tires easily and if you are really competitive, you will probably eat up at least two to three sets every raceday. To keep up with the top guys, you will probably have to shell out $500+ for an engine easily. Here in Texas, we had a spec class that concentrated on engines $300 and under. However, they decided to do a spec fuel as well and that helped to turn many off from the class because we all had our favorite fuels that we liked to us.
I DEFINITELY cant swing 2 or 3 sets of tires per raceday That is about $100.00 per week! This sounds like a sponsored guys game The cars are neat! But not $400.00 in Tires per month neat 1/8 Buggy tires last about 3 full racedays if not longer.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I DEFINITELY cant swing 2 or 3 sets of tires per raceday That is about $100.00 per week! This sounds like a sponsored guys game The cars are neat! But not $400.00 in Tires per month neat 1/8 Buggy tires last about 3 full racedays if not longer.
The last time I ran my car (I have a Mugen MRX4R) for three qualifiers and a 30 minute main, I ran through 2.5 sets of tires. They are a blast to run but you have to weight the expense of racing an 1/8th scale every weekend. I only raced mine twice this year to the expense wasn't bad at all. Unfortunately, that is the way it is when running these cars and that is why many that run the class are sponsored in some way.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Tire expense really depends on where you race at... There is a track locally where we can run 2 qual and only use up 1mil...
So we can run on 1 set of tires for racing and still have enough for practice.

you should go to your local track and check out tire wear.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tires and Fuel ....

Twister tires are a great deal ... I run Byrons fuel

I don't replace as many A arms as I did when I was running touring cars nor as many skinny front belts and the like.

Buy 37s and set the car up for it ... they'll last longer

And quit hitting the wall
Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

I dont know were galloway OH. is. But I didnt think tire wear at toledo is lower than any other track. Are you thinking toledo or cincy? Never heard of a sportsman class in 1/8th MWS.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would be Racing mostly at Cinncy. As for the Sportsman Class, I dont know if there is one or not? I would think so. We have Sportsman Class in the RC Pro Series Races for 1/8th Buggy. Cant see newbies driving cars that go 60 MPH with the Big Dogs
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As everyone said already, tires and motors. Im assuming you have a tire truer already since you race 1/12th scale. If you're gonna start-off in sportsman, expect to go through alot of tires. Chunking tires sucks; especially when you just trued a new set when you get taged by someone on the track. Goodluck.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Tyres!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Tire wear is highly dependent on the track. When I raced at the Toledo track for the last few years, tire wear was exceptionally low (1mm - 30 minute main) However, several other tracks in the area ranged from 3-10mm wear in a 30 minute main.

At the end of the day, the cost is what you make it. If you want to run at the edge (high temps, trued "small" tires and the latest "hop-up or bling"), then 1/8th will likely be extremely expensive.

On the other hand, keeping the kit stock, buying a "good" not MONSTER motor, and you'll likely enjoy a great season of racing with a substantially reduced expense.

To many racers spend money to go fast (me included), rather than spending money on fuel, and simply practicing how to race and set-up the car to go faster.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I see you are in Ohio. If you plan to run at Toledo then your tire bill will probably be less than in offroad. If you get a Mugen, the car is very durable and parts are pretty inexpensive. That leaves motors and fuel as your biggest expenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.