Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec tires for 1/12th?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I posted this thread to see what you guys though...not to suggest we implement this for sure. Some intresting responses though.

I will stick my neck out about one thing. I have been racing pan cars since 1988. In those 20 years I have seen guys run diffrent compounds on different cars at a track BUT...the fast guys usually all run the same componds no matter the car they race. If guys are running purple fronts and yellow rears on carpet and you have to run pink rears to get around the track that tells me something is wrong with your car setup...not that you car needs pink tires.

Also when lmiracing (Donnie Lia) speaks you guys should listen. He is one of the fastest 1/12th and World GT racers in the US. He has been in the A main at just about every major US carpet race over the last couple years.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Adrian- I could totally see having a spec tire if it was 10th scale pancar, especially back in the day when they were like 20-30 a set. But 12th isn't my most expensive tire class.. Nitro onroad is, you can spec a tire for that and I wouldn't mind 45 shore for everyone lol.. no more 35 shore in 1/8th and 37's in 10th lmao
Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Also when lmiracing (Donnie Lia) speaks you guys should listen. He is one of the fastest 1/12th and World GT racers in the US. He has been in the A main at just about every major US carpet race over the last couple years.
So when 1fastdude speaks we shouldn't listen either. I mean, it is Eli Ezrow after all. Not taking anything away from Donnie as he is a stand up guy and I totally dig him on the r/c track and his full size racing.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I posted this thread to see what you guys though...not to suggest we implement this for sure. Some intresting responses though.

I will stick my neck out about one thing. I have been racing pan cars since 1988. In those 20 years I have seen guys run diffrent compounds on different cars at a track BUT...the fast guys usually all run the same componds no matter the car they race. If guys are running purple fronts and yellow rears on carpet and you have to run pink rears to get around the track that tells me something is wrong with your car setup...not that you car needs pink tires.

I don't know about others, but my home track's conditions can change greatly, especially with the same layout being up for weeks on end. In fact in the course of a month Trackside can go from having very little traction, to having moderate traction, to having crazy amount of traction after a big race. For that reason I like having tires as a tuning device.

Last edited by Ike; 12-10-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

I understand where you are coming from, BUT, you have to remember pro drivers (ie. Josh Cyrul, Donny Lia) are going to driver probably the most agressive tire they can, while you have different levels of racers and driving styles at your local track, therefore, you try different things to get different results. I do think the idea of a spec tire is an alright idea, though.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
So when 1fastdude speaks we shouldn't listen either. I mean, it is Eli Ezrow after all. Not taking anything away from Donnie as he is a stand up guy and I totally dig him on the r/c track and his full size racing.

Jeff
Word! Or even the fabulous Jeff Brown!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just to put some additional 'perspective' on this. The rationale is always, easier, save money, save the hobby, I can afford it now, etc...etc...

It's not even an issue of different cars needing different tires. My son and I can setup identical cars to turn identical lap times. I drive his car it pushes for me. He drives mine, it's loose for him.

We could develop a 1/12th spec tire and give every racer in the world 50 free sets of them. FREE.

Within a week, we'd see half the racers griping it's the worst traction ever, the other half would proclaim it the best ever, and you'd find 40,000 pair of tires on eBay with guys using the proceeds to buy the tires they wanted in the first place.

I'm a fan of spec tire stuff but for different reasons... it's easier to pack if you're traveling great distances to a race.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

I'm a fan of spec tire stuff but for different reasons... it's easier to pack if you're traveling great distances to a race.
gotta love bob,

the ebay thing is funny but true.. but the travel thing is a really good point
Old 12-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Personally, I'd be hugely in favour of spec tires in 12th.

Have started running the National series this year here in the UK and tires are both my biggest concern and the one thing that's making me think whether I want to do this class again next year. Only having to take 1 compound of front and 1 of rear would make things so much easier.

Don't forget, a few years back there were similar arguaments before going to spec tires in Touring Car. Not the same, completely understand, but control tires really helped bring a) the cost of that class down and b) make it more appealing to other racers. You know you will have the same tires as the guy who's on pole.... its one less thing to worry about.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I agree there should be spec tires, but we should have two fronts and two rears to choose from. For example, a soft/hard front tire and a soft/hard rear tire. And let the organization/track holding the race choose which tires to be used.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

And not to mention ROAR Region 1 1/12 scale stock champion, again! And would have won Super Stock Touring Car if the servo saver didn't come off.

You don't have to spec a tire in 1/12 because it usually specs itself out. More often than not there's one maybe 2 combinations of compounds that will work for a particular track. Even if a new tire comes out you'll run out your old stuff before you switch to the new tire.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ah yes.......the ALMIGHTY Donnie, maybe we should start a "ask Donnie" thread...................

Now .. lets all listen to the CHAMPION....................
Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Adrian,

When Donnie Lia speaks you should listen... What the hech kind of statement is that... Last time I checked this is world wide public forum which means we may "speak" and "listen" to whoever we choose.

Now here is my opinion on spec tires. You may listen if you like. I believe taking tire setup out of racing is just one more thing to add towards "dumbing things up" I believe there are benifits with brushless motor technology but I am one who used to enjoy tuning those brushed motors. That asspect of racing has gone away now essentially dumbing things up. The same would hold true the with a spec tire concept. Part of what makes top drivers good is their abality to adapt to different racing surfaces and make changes as needed. Isn't that part of the fun of racing? Being able to outthink your competitor by working on setup and such. After all tires are 90% of your setup in 1/12 scale!

Just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not taking anything away from Donny, but the post he responded to was that of Eli Ezrow and he has been in the A-main at just about every carpet race spanning a little more than the last couple of years and I'd venture to say more variety of classes.

Point being it worked well on Donny's chassis with Donny Driving, not prefered for Eli for reason x and maybe "fill in blank top driver" doesn't prefer it for another reason.

Like Stormer said 2 cars set-up to run the same times with 2 different drivers...aren't set-up the same. Aside from ease I see no reason for 1/12 to go spec and personnally would not like the idea.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis
...I believe taking tire setup out of racing is just one more thing to add towards "dumbing things up" I believe there are benifits with brushless motor technology but I am one who used to enjoy tuning those brushed motors. That asspect of racing has gone away now essentially dumbing things up. The same would hold true the with a spec tire concept. Part of what makes top drivers good is their abality to adapt to different racing surfaces and make changes as needed. Isn't that part of the fun of racing? Being able to outthink your competitor by working on setup and such. After all tires are 90% of your setup in 1/12 scale!

Just my opinion.
I agree, between lipo, rubber and spec foam tires, and to some part brushless, I think we need only 2 classes for each scale, lets say:
spec class for those who want to build a RTR cookie cutter
and a racer class for those who still enjoy the hobby aspect of this HOBBY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.