Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Dirty Acer Bearings >

Dirty Acer Bearings

Dirty Acer Bearings

Old 10-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Dirty Acer Bearings

I have a set of the Acer ceramic bearings with the poly seals. I have noticed that I have a lot more trouble with dirty bearings than I have EVER had with the std. rubber sealed bearings. The rear diff outdrive bearings especially. I just pulled them off and they were nearly locked up. Anyone noticed this with their bearings? Are the teflon sealed any better?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

i am just running standard bearings and never had any problems from them..
Old 10-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm certainly no expert, but the acer ceramic bearings I got are SHIELDED, not SEALED.

The difference?
There is a gap at the inner race side where grit over time can get in the bearing. So this means that you have to do maintenance on them muchmore frequently then you would on the rubber sealed bearings.

Scott
Old 10-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I misspoke, they are shielded. I guess I'll just go back to the factory bearings where they are going to be exposed to lots of grit.

So no one's using the teflon sealed?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Default Dirty Acer Bearings

Lythion;

The Acer Teflon Bearings are NOT sealed, but shielded. The seals are Paper thin and get damaged very easily even when cleaning. They also seem to get dirty just as fast as OPEN Bearings.

I personally would recommend standard Metal shielded Bearings or Rubber sealed if low maintenance is more important.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Bearings

I have had my Acer ceramics for a year now and not one failure. It is a good idea to clean and relubricate every bearing after a weekend of racing. If you do, there is no telling how long they may last.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I've damaged two motors b/c of acer superpolyamide bearings freezing up in the outdrives. I sent them back and ACER was good enough to replace them with their best nitride bearing, but the same thing happened. I never had a problem with other bearings only ACER. I had cleaned them all right b4 I went to the track, and after 7-10 runs, on I admit on a very dusty track, one compleatley froze up and 3 others where barely turning. I don't know if I have just been unlucky though, but it's been nothing but problems with ACER bearings. I will admit when the bearings are functioning properly they are the smoothest bearing I have ever had. Also the custumer service at ACER has been great. I have sent back all my superpolamides and ACER is replacing them with their rubber sealed bearings. I let you guys know how they work out.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Dirty Acer Bearings

Originally posted by Lythion
I have a set of the Acer ceramic bearings with the poly seals. I have noticed that I have a lot more trouble with dirty bearings than I have EVER had with the std. rubber sealed bearings. The rear diff outdrive bearings especially. I just pulled them off and they were nearly locked up. Anyone noticed this with their bearings? Are the teflon sealed any better?
Have never tried their expensive bearing, so don't know if I will encounter any problems. However, I surely will have no problems dealing with the acer chick.

Old 10-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Bearing choices

Guys;

Because I have quite a few Cars to maintain between races, I prefer to use Bearings that can go a few races before needing maintenance. The 'Acer' Teflon sealed/shielded Bearings did not fall into this catagory for me.

Rubber Sealed Bearings go in my Off-Road Vehicles, so the maintenance intervals are acceptable.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one that has problems with these things. I guess I'll have to go back to the stock bearings and only use the Acers when I'm going to race on a clean track (almost never). I wonder if I should send the ones I have back as I have noticed play in them...
Old 10-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Dirty Acer Bearings

Originally posted by eddiethefish
However, I surely will have no problems dealing with the acer chick.

A bit of airbrushing always helps !!!