Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy Set Up System

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

u would be surprised even at club races how much a diff it make the car handle better! u could be running good for 1-2 races and all the sudden ur car just doesnt handle like it use to, u put it on the set up station and WOW! everthing is way out of wack, u adjust and that sucker is handling great! One thing it only take 10-15 mins to check and make adjustment so it is well worth taking to any race!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I am a firm believer in the set up station as well. I always carry mine in my bag and just use one of the glass counter top tables inside the track hobby shop. I almost consider it a must for a pivot ball car.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

So here's another question...

I drive a Losi 8. Even when it was new, it has about 1 degree of play in the steering. Doesn't the slop that either exists or eventually develop negate the precise adjustments done with a setup station?

Obviously, if you've got slop, you wanna replace the sloppy part, but I race on a tight budget, so I try to cope with a little bit of slop. But again, if you have the money to spend on a setup station, then I suppose you have money to replace parts often enough to ensure that everything is tight at all times.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here because I've been on the fence about getting a station myself. Hopefully I'm not dragging this too far off topic.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The way I see it, if your advanced enough that you can actually feel setup changes, then you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. If your a beginner, even a beginning racer, you dont need the tool. Hell, I know super fast guys that dont use setup stations...

One reason I prefer the setup station over a guage, is because when your measuring off of the wheel, depending on the condition of the wheel, it could be warped/deformed somehow. It will give you a different reading depending on which side of the wheel is touching the table...a jig takes the measurement from the axle, which is much more precise.

Something I learned, by reading the manual that comes in the HUDY is that there is a order that is suggested to make adjustments. 1-ride height, 2-droop, 3-camber, 4-toe. And when you make a change to say, the ride height, it will adversly affect your camber.

IMO, ask around and see if someone you know has a jig you can use and see what its like driving a car thats perfectly square...it couldnt hurt, other than maybe making you want one. Im by no means a pro level driver, but I could feel a difference in the car. Also I like the peace of mind, knowing that the car is the way I want it...at least at the start of the race!

One thing that hasnt been mentioned...Its common sense for most, but I learned it the hard way and Ive seen it done many times. Any time you set up your car, no matter what tools your using, make sure the surface your working on is LEVEL!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Once again Mr Scoobie1 Touche
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

The setup station makes a HUGH differents on how it drives and tracks down the track. Everything is more even from side to side. I club race I have one makes setup fast and simple. I was using a RPM camber gauge using it to set front toe was so much fun.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by desertbird
Who the hell brings a setup station to the track.
Check !
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoobie1
see what its like driving a car thats perfectly square...it couldnt hurt, other than maybe making you want one.
Yeah, I wish there was such a thing as perfectly square, but with the amount of slop in my Losi that is simply not possible. I don't want it to not have ANY slop from what I hear. I'm not certain how other cars are in the sloppy front end department, maybe others are a lot tighter. With the set up station, I would think you'd have to bias the car in the station to come up with the same setting every time you put it on there. I don't know, I'm just a club racer/weekend basher and you're right my method is probably good enough for anyone in my situation, and I am probably missing out on an ever so sight setup problem that might help handling. But lets be realistic, these cars aren't F1 race cars, they are RC cars with loose tollerances, you'll never achieve perfection.

I would like to try one to see how close I am with my eyeball it to a pitch guage method, but I've never seen anyone bring one to the track for me to try, I'll have to ask around They sure to look nice, (envious).
Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desertbird
Yeah, I wish there was such a thing as perfectly square, but with the amount of slop in my Losi that is simply not possible. I don't want it to not have ANY slop from what I hear. I'm not certain how other cars are in the sloppy front end department, maybe others are a lot tighter. With the set up station, I would think you'd have to bias the car in the station to come up with the same setting every time you put it on there. I don't know, I'm just a club racer/weekend basher and you're right my method is probably good enough for anyone in my situation, and I am probably missing out on an ever so sight setup problem that might help handling. But lets be realistic, these cars aren't F1 race cars, they are RC cars with loose tollerances, you'll never achieve perfection.

I would like to try one to see how close I am with my eyeball it to a pitch guage method, but I've never seen anyone bring one to the track for me to try, I'll have to ask around They sure to look nice, (envious).

Ive seen anything from -10 to +5 on rear camber....toe is ushally out by at least 3-4 degrees as most people dont realize to aheive 1 degree toe out you need .5 on each side...NOT 1 degree on each side....i set-up a buddy's 5T after a whole season of him eyeballing it....FIRST race he attended outta town he cleaned house and took 1st...he said the car was a whole nother animal he had never felt before.......a Good set-up is worth the trucks weight in gold imo......if its outta wack you'll never be able to pull consistent laps back to back.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

So many before have already given their opinions as to why you should have a setup station but few have mentioned also the slop on the Losi, so would like to add the following:

First, the Losi 8 was designed to have certain amount of slop, several people have tried to fix it and the result is worse than the sickness.

Second, apparently it should be true that racing off road, with all the jumps and holes in the track it should not matter much to be exact in your setup.

But the reality shows if you consistently set your car using some standard method like a setup station, which ever change you make to the car, it will reflect in your lap time.

So eyeballing would not be the ideal way to approach racing at any level.

I understand the price issue, but after spending around $1500 (car kit, engine, servos, etc) another $100 on a setup station is about 6% of the cost, which if used correctly will last you a long time.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So is the Hudy station the one to have? I use this one by M-Racing on my truggy http://www.rc-setup.com/products.html . It works but I have not received any responses on if I can purchase a buggy toe plate by itself to use it for my new buggy...so now I'm thinkin' screw it and am seriously considering the Hudy station, that thing looks nice.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I have the M-Racing one and it`s ok , a lot easier to see the adjustment marks with Hudy .
Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Initiate

I have the HUDY set-up station and I would get ripped on for having it and setting my cars up on it. "It's off-road racing it doesn't have to be perfect" is all they would say until I convinced my buddy to set his ride up on it. He said it was like night and day difference!!!! If you don't want to haul it to the track with you, use the set-up station at home then the RPM monster gauge at the track.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

I use the Team Magic one, it comes with a pouch for easy transport
Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sorry to dig up an old dinosaur but Im considering the Team Magic or Hudy setup for my Mugen MBX-5 and my truggy like T-Maxx. I am really unsure about what to get. I know I would have to get the truggy plate while using the Hudy, but does the Team Magic offer one as well. Also would it be worth it to grab the plastic setup board decal from Hudy. I could use the help and just trying to get ready for the next racing season. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.