Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Which buggy has the best of both traction and agility extremes >

Which buggy has the best of both traction and agility extremes

Which buggy has the best of both traction and agility extremes

Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default Which buggy has the best of both traction and agility extremes

Hi, I know there is always tons of these which is better buggies, but looking at this a little bit different. I am looking for a buggy that can be setup for superb traction and well planted understandably at the expense of steering. But, also that it could be setup to drive like it is very light on its feet, very agile and has tons of steering.

Here is the background, Both me and my 10 year old son race. Right now, he drives a Jammin X1x that is setup with 5/5/3 in the diffs and 3* rear toe, and for anyone that has driven a Jammin like this you will know it has tons of traction and pushes in the corners. I drive a 808 which is the total opposite. I love the 808 while he loves the Jammin. I am tired of dragging around 2 starter boxes, 2 boxes of parts, etc that comes with running 2 different chassis's. So I am trying to find a buggy that I get for both us that will work for both.

Is there a buggy that can be setup for each extreme?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

How much have you tested settings on your 808? I was able to make mine so easy to drive it was slow. I changed a few settings and BAMM it was pushing like a Jammin. LOL! I've actually been dialing it back to the faster setup.

I'm pretty sure you can find a setup with the 808 that both of you would like. I think the key might be the 12 degree front caster blocks, and moving the rear hubs forward to start. Also 6-6-2 works well in the diffs to make it easier to drive. I'd hate to see you scrap two cars and one that you like, for an unkown buggy.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

any proper buggy you buy will have enough adjustments to give it the handling traits you're looking for as long as you know how to tune it.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gameholic2
any proper buggy you buy will have enough adjustments to give it the handling traits you're looking for as long as you know how to tune it.
+1 there are several different answers on which car is the best. IMO if there was one that was so much better than the others then everyone would have one
Old 12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

I haven't gone to far in trying to slow down the 808, I had tried a few things and just did not think it would go as far as I wanted for my son. Will give it another shot. I have not though tried the 12* caster hubs at all, which I guess could make a big difference. I also tried freeing up the jammin, but could not get it as far as I liked.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

The other thing I was thinking is on the 808 if I could find some sort of metal skid plate to add some weight to the back, that could help plant the car well, combined with the 12* caster blocks that could be the ticket to getting it close....
Old 12-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jsmax
The other thing I was thinking is on the 808 if I could find some sort of metal skid plate to add some weight to the back, that could help plant the car well, combined with the 12* caster blocks that could be the ticket to getting it close....
If you add weight to the rear of the car it will swing the rear end more coming in the turn and have less on power steering. That is what I have found out.

Like gameholic2 said, almost any high quality buggy will be able to do what you want it to with the right tuning.