My Desicion

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My Desicion

Hey alright i did a bit of reasearch amd come up with these final 4 choices as these fit my budget.

Team Losi Desert Truck
Duratrax Evader EXT
Traxxas Rustler XL 5
Thunder tiger AT 10

I will mainly be bashing but later i probally will start racing Stock class at my local track. I can get all the parts for these trucks pretty easy. This will be my first electric stadium truck and wanting a point in the right direction.

Cheers George
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the closest to a racer of any of those would be the thunder tiger
Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

completely against the traxxas slash?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

My opinion the Rustler is the King of bashers but it will take some work to make it a competent racer. Half the fun of the hobby to me is doing to hop ups and mods it would take to make it a good racer adn still retain it's bashing capabilities. I vote for the Rusty.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Desert Truck has a 2.4Ghz radio out of the box. It is essentially a XXX-T platform with a gear diff, not a ball diff. To race stadium truck stock, you would really just need to change out the tires\rims to what suits your track and swap in a 27T brushed motor.

If you wanted a brushless setup for stock, then the ESC\Motor would need to be swapped out.

Typically you don't see much besides Losi & AE in competitive stadium truck racing.....
Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Rustler is the king of bashers. It's really the most durable out of the box.

It can also be raced with a few small changes. New tires all around, some shock adjustments and a real 27T motor.

RPM arms and carriers will also help in the long run.

The others are not bad vehicles, just not as durable.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gndprx
The Rustler is the king of bashers. It's really the most durable out of the box.

It can also be raced with a few small changes. New tires all around, some shock adjustments and a real 27T motor.

RPM arms and carriers will also help in the long run.

The others are not bad vehicles, just not as durable.
I don't think I have heard of a rustler competitive at a track....but I like the odd vehicles......I'm going to be racing a Mid-Motor converted Speed-T soon myself....
Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I can say that because I've done it

I ran my sons old rustler for a few weeks in stock truck just to sort of prove it can do it.

The only real upgrades were RPM arms, RPM carriers, good set holeshots all around and some TLC to the shocks.

I was never less than top 3 and won about half of the races I ran with it. So it's technically possible to get decent results on the track. But you can quickly outgrow it. I was happy to be back to my Losi.

Obviously this applies to club level. No way could it be competitive at larger events.