Wiki Posts
Search

Team driver Salaries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
Most RC manufacturers dont make enough money to have a whole slew of paid drivers and the ones they do have-I doubt clear more than $40k-even the REALLY good ones. Sure they may be a multimillion dollar company-but advertsising in magazines is probably more effective than a van load of Team Driver and costs about the same!!!

Onto what makes Really good. If you think your a hotshot-give your dialed car to Baker or Blackstock, etc and watch them go faster than you on lap one-having never driven your car!!!

We cannot hold a candle to the top % of drivers. They are on a whole nother planet when it comes to skills!!!
Lucky for us, we get to see those skills almost every week.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Roger wrote:Mark Pavidis is a prime example. He's still fast on and off road, and he works for the most reputable corporation in the industry....Team Associated.
I may be wrong, but I thought Pavidis worked at Pro-Line in Tire R&D?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:45 AM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Which Westlake Tag???

yes sir, westlake village off the lindero canyan i live in san gabriel due to work location but i still go back once a week..anyways, have any of you run RCs in the plaza parking lot sometimes around 11:00 PM ( can't recall the name of the plaza but the one besides the Costco) i have been hearings engine noise and 2 speed shifting

Originally posted by sponger
Tag, Do you work or live in Westlake Villiage. I live in Thousand Oaks off of Hampshire. Is there another Westlake Villiage I don't know about??? Fill me in please
Old 10-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Speedo
there is the fact that they won't be able to perform as well as the get older, so they would have to find other work.
HAHA.. this isn't football dude... age would have little affect. (within reason of course).
Old 10-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default Simply Amazing

It is simply amazing what you Guys will talk about, just to get your post counts up.

WHATEVER the average salary is of a sponsored Driver, you're talking about relatively small Companies in total gross earnings when compared to the rest of the business world.
I highly doubt most of them could even afford 2 or 3 Drivers at $100,000+ a year and all of the other expenses that go with it.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mark does work for Proline now,previously for associated.

Age will come into play for some of the top drivers.Sorry but reflexes don't exactly get better with age.It's all relative.

There very few people who make loads of money racing.I think there are maybe a handful that get paid good money due to endorsements.Any other salaried drivers most likely have a Job for the actual company in which they race for.I know there are 3 well known Orion/Losi drivers that have to live together because they don't make enough racing R/C.I would say they make an average living.We have to remeber that most people in AMERICA dont make a 100,000 a year. Average family income combined is less then 60,000 a year across the board.Only in california have we taken it to the extreme in that we have to make 2 to 3 times that to be making an average income.

This is a weird topic.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:35 AM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Alot of you guys say that being a factory driver would not pay much and you couldnt make a living out of it well think about it
$70 000k a year is a alot more than the average wage it is quite a lot of money. Not only do these guys get paid this much money they get to travel all over the world for nothing all expenses paid.
Alot of people only dream of travelling the world. When these guys are working they are working with something they LOVE doing. how can some people knock THAT?

yes most people are in the right ball park they earn any where between $70 000 and $100 000. But they not only race rc cars they also work on products for there respective companies. There are also alot of drivers that are not as popular as Kinwald or Cyrul or Baker. That also travel i remember when Mike Swauger came out to australia i asked him a few questions about it and he said that he could fly first class if wanted to. This was when he was sponsored by Orion these guys really are gifted and LUCKY.They really do have a lot of advantages.

But have worked hard to get there like Surikarn has been racing since he was 7. But yes there are probably some down sides but they happen with all jobs. Yes it would probably not suit a family man but it would suit a younger person and it would be a dream.

Somebody said on here which would be the best rc company to be sponsored by well i reckon Tamiya as they are the biggest in the world. Im not sure if any one has noticed but when ever surikard is at an event is accompanied by his family. Tamiya pay for his family to fly aroud the world with him that would make it an even better job if your family could be with you.

I think we can come to the conclusion that it would be an ULTIMATE JOB cant we?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:37 AM
NR
Tech Master

Guys might i add it does really depend on what level your on when it comes to racing alot of it would be performance based.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Simply Amazing

Originally posted by popsracer
It is simply amazing what you Guys will talk about, just to get your post counts up.

WHATEVER the average salary is of a sponsored Driver, you're talking about relatively small Companies in total gross earnings when compared to the rest of the business world.
I highly doubt most of them could even afford 2 or 3 Drivers at $100,000+ a year and all of the other expenses that go with it.
YOu got sucked in to post too-didnt ya!!! HAHAHA!!!
I agree with you-people think all the RC car companies are rolling in it. Just a few are!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:46 AM
NR
Tech Master

Popsracer

Tamiya and the major manafacturers are all million dollar companies. I reckon i could almost say that Tamiya is a Billion dollar Company. of course they can afford factory drivers.

Let me just give you an idea Rick Howart Peak owner pays only 3c for a pair of brushes he then on sells them to a distributor for $2.50 the distributor buys 5 000 pairs he has just made $12350. Like hello look at the money to be made. thats only one example just tell me if you would like another one.

Just think if he sells 5000 pairs to 10 manafactures over the world that is $123 500 for a months work on just one product.

Ok its obvious there is alot more money to be made in these companies than we think
Old 10-10-2003, 09:12 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Come on, you guys are killing my dreams of becoming rich off of R/C racing!
Old 10-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Simply Amazing

Originally posted by popsracer
You're poking fun at people for boosting their post counts, and you've got 2000+ posts in a year? Methinks you should take your own advice.

Rob
Old 10-10-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys. I think you are also forgeting that most if not all of the drivers you mentioned have graduated with a degre os some sort business, design ect. The onle driver i know of that gets paid only to drive is Brian Kinwald. If you have ever seen him drive you know why. However It is a HUGE comitment of time and energy so he should be compensated. Everyone else has a full time job with duties (packing parts, paper work, sweeping and I bet Billy Easton has even had to clean the washroom) they must get done on top of the racing and practice, as well as be fast every time they race. As a Former full sponsored driver I can tell you its not all fun and games. Sure you get to travel but you only see the airport the track and the hotel. If you want to be fast you will be at the track first thing in the am and stay till they kick you out then its back to the hotel for some wrenching team meetings ect. oh and you have to get some crappy pizza sent to the room for dinner becouse your diff and shocks still needs to be done and you have to glue all you friends tires for the next day. You guys should tane a look at the peak add with dunbar and cavalari in the hotel room ITS NOT ALL TROPHY GIRLS AND WADS OF CASH or something like that. Dont get me wrong I loved all the racing and have a lot of great memories of the time. Just rember nobody will get rich racing rc cars stay in school and do something with rc after you get out of school.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Some of the rumors about drivers salaries are so blown out of proportion, it is amazing. There a few drivers that collect a salary from their sponsors with some of the most prominent drivers only receiving $500 per month. That is only $6000 per year. Pay some bills with that. Others collect more. The most I know of is about $60,000. There is the assumption that Kinwald receives royalties for all those Trinity products- nope- it all goes into the EP bank account. (All promise-not cash). I am sure Hara makes a decent living. There are owners that will take care of their drivers and owners that pressure and bully and threaten and hold a paycheck over the head of their driver. Understand that the "professional" driver has alot of pressure from not only himself to perform but the owner too. There is always someone waiting to take that spot on the team and be the next hero. And the driver is always reminded of that fact. It is not pleasant to live out of a suitcase 2/3rds of the year and miss birthdays and holidays, the never ending phone calls from "friends" who want something for nothing, and the owner who says sales are slow so you will have to eat your expenses.

my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

As a Former full sponsored driver I can tell you its not all fun and games.
Wow....that must have been a REALLY long time ago....who sponsored you COX?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.