Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROTOform R9-R UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Lightbulb PROTOform R9-R UPDATE

In a perfect world I'd have the driving skill of Marc Rheinard and I'd have two personal test tracks - an indoor carpet track and an indoor paved track (I live in Canada where it's already snowing) I'd also fly in Paul Lemieux and we'd test test test. Ah yes - how perfect and fun that would be.

However, here's the way it really is. I don't drive rc cars, and there are no tracks in my area that represent "real world" racing conditions. So - I ship out bodies to sponsored racers hoping that I can get some feedback in a reasonable amount of time. When the feedback eventually gets back to me I try to evaluate what I'm hearing. Sometimes it's all good, sometimes its all bad, and sometimes its a bit contradictory - in which case I can only conclude that I still need more information, and that any final conclusion just might take a while.

With the R9-R body however, the racer feedback has been too mixed for my liking. Too often I heard that rear bite was a problem, and I always heard that it turned extremely hard. There may be a perfect track or "racing situation" for these body traits, however I want PROTOfom bodies to be as "friendly" and effective as possible, in a wider range of circunstances.
So - having said that I want you to know that approx 3 weeks ago I made a small change to the nose of the R9-R to give the body a more balanced feel. I'm reluctant to make changes to a body for fear of being flamed by the disgruntled racers who bought the original versions, and shop owners feeling "stuck" with the old ones. There's no perfect solution. (I've only changed one other touring car mold in the 12 years I've done them - and it was re-sumitted to ROAR as well)

In this situation I knew for sure that The R9-R was a sure-fire winner with a ton of potential - it just needed a bit of tweaking. The change that I made was quite simple, I shortened the front spitter (forward extending lip at the front) by 3mm. This change is not shown in the tree photos posted here. The name of the body remains R9-R. It's not a "2.0" of version "B" or any of that stuff - this small change does not warrant that kinda stuff.

The body will be submitted to ROAR for re-approval.

I appologize to anyone who feels slighted having purchased R9-R bodies from the earlier production runs. The one you have still performs very well I'm told - and lets face it, bodies are not a hi-dollar one-time purchase that last for a whole season.

Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday! We certainly have a lot to be thankfull for!

Dale - Protoform

BTW - awsome paintwork is by Roly in FL.
Attached Thumbnails PROTOform R9-R UPDATE-roly1498-lf.jpg   PROTOform R9-R UPDATE-roly1498-side.jpg   PROTOform R9-R UPDATE-roly-1498-lr.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Keep up the good work Dale. I TQ'ed the Mid-America XRAY Challenge with the R9R. (had to switch to the Mazda for the mains though ) I like the raw untamed feel of the first version of the R9R and I feel it still has its place. Example I throw it out there from time to time as a "training tool" as I feel that if you can get used to driving one the edge that this body brings, well then youre better off.

I look forward to trying to updated version
Old 11-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
So - having said that I want you to know that approx 3 weeks ago I made a small change to the nose of the R9-R to give the body a more balanced feel. I'm reluctant to make changes to a body for fear of being flamed by the disgruntled racers who bought the original versions, and shop owners feeling "stuck" with the old ones. There's no perfect solution. (I've only changed one other touring car mold in the 12 years I've done them - and it was re-sumitted to ROAR as well)
Awsome communication to your customer base.!!! We were one of the R9-R early adoptors and after 2 laps decided that indeed the front was too aggressive and it made the rear bite on our T2 008 too loose.

We anxiously wait to try out the new version of the R9 and LTC-R.

Now, how about a BMW "style" body?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For someone who doesnt race and goes simply by the reviews of others and outside sources...you sir are a genious!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Dale, just wondering where the the new LTC-R fits in the mix ?
I thought that it was to be a less aggressive R9-R.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Now, how about a BMW "style" body?
+1
Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

bought mine when it came out and it still hasnt got back from paint (the guy is slow) and this new version gets done and the LTC-R gets released as well.

Guess im gonna sell it when it comes back from paint and get a new one and re-do it. At least my paint jobs are free :P

+1 to "where does the LTC-R fit in all this?:
and id also like to ask...

wheres does the DNA2 fit in all this? I swapped to my old DNA2 after using an HPI RX8 body for a while (needed an HPI body for a special event and didnt have the R9-R back yet so i left it on). The DNA2 totally rocked. I had the Pontiac G6 prior to that and ran that with great results as well (on asphalt even). Im always open to new things, though!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Seriously, I'm bringing this thread back to life because this body is the most exciting body I've driven. Coming from the protoform dodge dart and the protoform Mazda speed 6, this body makes both feel dull and boring. Turn-in is ridiculous. On a setup that had a slight push with the Mazda speed 6, this body cuts corners like a hot knife through butter. About to order a couple more. I wish I could find a lightweight version somewhere...
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Does the term let sleeping dogs lie sounds familiar? Ask the faster guys local to you why this body is no longer being run at the tracks you frequent.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Curious, maybe you can shed some light. I thought forums were supposed to be about knowledge sharing.... Either way, unless it's outlawed I'm running it. I see bodies as setup tools- no less than any other common suspension or drive train adjustments. If everyone wanted "the fast guys" car- the hobby would be insanely monotonous and boring. We'd all have the same car and equipment. I see this hobby as a way to be a unique individual, not just a carbon copy of some other racers.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This body would be nice if they made it 0.5mm thick or 60grams instead of 90grams for the lightweight version... Steering is insane!!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swerv512
Seriously, I'm bringing this thread back to life because this body is the most exciting body I've driven. Coming from the protoform dodge dart and the protoform Mazda speed 6, this body makes both feel dull and boring. Turn-in is ridiculous. On a setup that had a slight push with the Mazda speed 6, this body cuts corners like a hot knife through butter. About to order a couple more. I wish I could find a lightweight version somewhere...
I ran the R9R last year at the Roar Nats

Made the A-main in 17.5! If I had a $1 for every time someone had asked me 'what body is that??' over that weekend lol.

We run a lot of GT10 class racing here and the R9R is the closest 'sedan' body that has as little drag as my wicked fast GT10 body... although I too wish there was a lightweight body still available
Old 01-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

It works okay for me. I'm running the lightweight one. It came to me in a box of old free stuff, new in the bag!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for bringing the thread back. I think I saw one hidding under a pile of 200mm bodies at my hobbyshop. If it's still there I'm snaggin it. Both me & my fiancee love the lines of this shell...
Old 02-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Please let someone try this body in an Awesomatix...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.