Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Truggy's:  What offset do you run and why? >

Truggy's: What offset do you run and why?

Truggy's: What offset do you run and why?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? Truggy's: What offset do you run and why?

Hey guys I've been switching around with offsets and experimenting with all sorts of stuff. I think I like the 0 offset LPR's and the 5mm hubs...I even tried the 1/2 offset lpr's but my XT8 doesn't seem to handle well with em...Just wanted to find out what you guys like to run and why? Whether it be 5mm...10mm...28mm...etc?? Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

...............................................?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Reevo
Hey guys I've been switching around with offsets and experimenting with all sorts of stuff. I think I like the 0 offset LPR's and the 5mm hubs...I even tried the 1/2 offset lpr's but my XT8 doesn't seem to handle well with em...Just wanted to find out what you guys like to run and why? Whether it be 5mm...10mm...28mm...etc?? Thanks

Reevo, I have a RC8T, it comes with the long 1/2 inch offset hubs, i like to use buggy hubs and 1/2 offset wheels to keep stress off the knuckle and allow the wheel to take the abuse of racing instead of 70$ alum hubs, i have seen alot of hubs ripped of the arm at the bottom where the bolt is. The geometry changes may be present but i like how it handles the way it is.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

I run 1/2 offset on my 8ight-t

it runs great

I run the extended hubs also, and I have a lot of forward bit with just about any tire
Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Wow 1/2 offsets with extended hubs?? Must be pretty wide. Still handles tight technical courses with that setup? Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run 1/2 offset wheels on my ST-RR and change hubs for the track. Wide lanes and sweeping corners or very rough, run the stock wide offset hubs for stability. Tight, smaller track, no-offset buggy hubs and a set of medium width hubs I run most of the time. Easier and cheaper then stocking tires with different offsets.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chad24
I run 1/2 offset wheels on my ST-RR and change hubs for the track. Wide lanes and sweeping corners or very rough, run the stock wide offset hubs for stability. Tight, smaller track, no-offset buggy hubs and a set of medium width hubs I run most of the time. Easier and cheaper then stocking tires with different offsets.
Cool yea my local club track is pretty tight and technical so I'll be sticking to the 0 offset lpr/crime fighters with stock hubs. I tried with the 1/2 offset lpr's and it just didn't feel right and took the tight corners like a pig.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

I run Associated buggy hubs on my mbx5t as their cheap & I think +2 compared to mugen buggy hubs. I run 1/2 offset rims because those were the originals back when the first truggy in a box(CRT)came out. I put buggy hubs on the mbx5t to fit all the wheels I already had from the jammin.The Losi truck that I got next also had 1/2 offset so I now have alot of new & used 1/2 offset rims & am too cheap to start with zero offset. So other than the mugen rims that came in the kit & a set I was given I have always ran 1/2 offset & noticed my wheel bearings lasted longer than most zero offset people. I just always assumed its because the plastic offset on the rim takes alittle more of the extreame shock off the wheel bearings by flexing more compared to the zero offset aluminum externders that dont flex at all. Then theres always the fact that 1/2 offset rims will cover/hold in the hub pin if for some reason the set screw backs off or the pin breaks.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Wouldn't the 1/2 offsets put more stress further away from the center of the truggy and put more stress on the bearings then? Thats what I would think.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah it ran good on a wide open track but I don't know how good it would do on a tight track
Old 11-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mlbracing
Yeah it ran good on a wide open track but I don't know how good it would do on a tight track
True...thats what I'm thinkin.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Reevo,No the verticle portion/outer face of the 1/2 offset rim with buggy hubs is the same width as a zero offset rim with the extender hubs that are designed to work with them,that is the TRACK WIDTH is the same with both set-ups. The difference is the extender on a zero offset design is a long alum tube thats fixed to the hub & the extender on a 1/2 offset design is soft plastic & part of the rim. Think of it like this,since the outer faces of the rims are the same distance apart the handling should be the same. The only difference between the 2 designs is whats between the the outer face of the rim & the outer bearing,hard aluminum or softer plastic & the softer plastic will absorb some of the force when a pot hole is hit or a wheel is out of balance. I dont think its a massive difference but some is better than none.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by butch man
Reevo,No the verticle portion/outer face of the 1/2 offset rim with buggy hubs is the same width as a zero offset rim with the extender hubs that are designed to work with them,that is the TRACK WIDTH is the same with both set-ups. The difference is the extender on a zero offset design is a long alum tube thats fixed to the hub & the extender on a 1/2 offset design is soft plastic & part of the rim. Think of it like this,since the outer faces of the rims are the same distance apart the handling should be the same. The only difference between the 2 designs is whats between the the outer face of the rim & the outer bearing,hard aluminum or softer plastic & the softer plastic will absorb some of the force when a pot hole is hit or a wheel is out of balance. I dont think its a massive difference but some is better than none.
I see your point...I agree that plastic would absorb some impact.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I DNF'ed my 1st heat after a hub pin fell out from my 1/2" offset hubs (those grub/set screws are hard to tighten as they're pretty deep, and my allen keys can't reach 'em properly). After this i'm returning to 0 offset hubs as the rims act as an insurance for the hub pins from falling out
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by razor_clawzz
I DNF'ed my 1st heat after a hub pin fell out from my 1/2" offset hubs (those grub/set screws are hard to tighten as they're pretty deep, and my allen keys can't reach 'em properly). After this i'm returning to 0 offset hubs as the rims act as an insurance for the hub pins from falling out
Man I hate DNF's due to equipment failure...Pisses me off. I can see why you're making the switch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.