Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by speedyfowler
Hey Mark,

Were you using the IAS when this happened? I attached a pic of something you can do to limit the travel on the one side (still symmetrical left/right). I haven't had any issues with the stock rack, and with this fix I haven't had any issues with the IAS rack.

This Sunday was a really intense day of racing, Martin Crisp came out for some testing before the Snowbirds race, and was in my qualifier (we were nose to tail pretty much all day). I managed to get Tq after round 3 (Martin kept having issues with lapped traffic, he was also on Jaco Blues, so I had a bit of an advantage). In the final, Martin was all over the back end of my car, but wasn't able to get by clean so he kept giving back the position until he could make it without contact. In the process we ended up dropping to 2nd and 3rd, with about a minute left to go we were about a second behind first. Literally on the last lap, first place scrubbed a corner pushing wide enough for me to squeeze by, I ended up getting first by 0.215 seconds. Martins fast lap was 9.799, and mine was 9.800

Setup-wise, I decided to try shorter upper arms front and rear, as well as asymmetric dampening. I came to the conclusion that I prefer the front and rear dampening settings that are closer together (not much difference between front and rear). This setup was the best I've felt the car so far!

I also had a very high impact crash (one that would've most likely broken the front arm, c-hub, and maybe even a knuckle on a conventional TC), I ended up bending the front rear upper turnbuckle, and the front universal disassembled. I think Oleg put a lot of thought into the front universals, it seems that at a certain force of an impact, they're designed to just pop open, rather than sheering off or bending (reassembled using original cage and it has no slop still).
How different did the car feel with the shorter links? Got a big meeting this weekend (uk indoor narional) with sorex as the control tyre, pretty much all my running has been with a much bigger profile ride tyre, the place I'm running is also renowned for having chicanes in place.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedyfowler
Hey Mark,

Were you using the IAS when this happened? I attached a pic of something you can do to limit the travel on the one side (still symmetrical left/right). I haven't had any issues with the stock rack, and with this fix I haven't had any issues with the IAS rack.

This Sunday was a really intense day of racing, Martin Crisp came out for some testing before the Snowbirds race, and was in my qualifier (we were nose to tail pretty much all day). I managed to get Tq after round 3 (Martin kept having issues with lapped traffic, he was also on Jaco Blues, so I had a bit of an advantage). In the final, Martin was all over the back end of my car, but wasn't able to get by clean so he kept giving back the position until he could make it without contact. In the process we ended up dropping to 2nd and 3rd, with about a minute left to go we were about a second behind first. Literally on the last lap, first place scrubbed a corner pushing wide enough for me to squeeze by, I ended up getting first by 0.215 seconds. Martins fast lap was 9.799, and mine was 9.800

Setup-wise, I decided to try shorter upper arms front and rear, as well as asymmetric dampening. I came to the conclusion that I prefer the front and rear dampening settings that are closer together (not much difference between front and rear). This setup was the best I've felt the car so far!

I also had a very high impact crash (one that would've most likely broken the front arm, c-hub, and maybe even a knuckle on a conventional TC), I ended up bending the front rear upper turnbuckle, and the front universal disassembled. I think Oleg put a lot of thought into the front universals, it seems that at a certain force of an impact, they're designed to just pop open, rather than sheering off or bending (reassembled using original cage and it has no slop still).
Ill take a look at your pic. It was with the IAS. The issue for me is the type of t-nut that is used to hold the back side of the rack loosen which then can add all sorts of havoc. I am using a different configuration now. Will see how well it holds up at Snowbirds. I also found that lengthening the ball stud screws to act as stops will prevent the rack from going to full-throw which with slight impact might displace the rack.

Martin will surely be up on his game for Snowbirds. The Jaco is an interesting tire. With no setup changes, it makes my car push a bit as opposed to Sweeps or Solaris (M).

The shorter links really helps the car rotate. I have gone to #3 holes front and rear and this is the best my car has been. Good to hear that your car is coming to life.

As for the front universals, I have tried to run the units without shrinkwrap. Although having a breakaway part is helpful, it doesn’t help you finish a race. I will not be running the universals without heat shrink any time soon. Racing includes some level of impact and the goal is to finish the race. What is the old saying, to finish first – you have to finish!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mb3195
How different did the car feel with the shorter links? Got a big meeting this weekend (uk indoor narional) with sorex as the control tyre, pretty much all my running has been with a much bigger profile ride tyre, the place I'm running is also renowned for having chicanes in place.
It made the car a bit more responsive (quicker to change direction), and as Mark said, more rotation. I was honestly a bit hesitant at first because I hadn't seen anyone using this link length yet, but I'm really glad I did, it really woke the car up.

Originally Posted by MDawson
Ill take a look at your pic. It was with the IAS. The issue for me is the type of t-nut that is used to hold the back side of the rack loosen which then can add all sorts of havoc. I am using a different configuration now. Will see how well it holds up at Snowbirds. I also found that lengthening the ball stud screws to act as stops will prevent the rack from going to full-throw which with slight impact might displace the rack.

Martin will surely be up on his game for Snowbirds. The Jaco is an interesting tire. With no setup changes, it makes my car push a bit as opposed to Sweeps or Solaris (M).

The shorter links really helps the car rotate. I have gone to #3 holes front and rear and this is the best my car has been. Good to hear that your car is coming to life.

As for the front universals, I have tried to run the units without shrinkwrap. Although having a breakaway part is helpful, it doesn’t help you finish a race. I will not be running the universals without heat shrink any time soon. Racing includes some level of impact and the goal is to finish the race. What is the old saying, to finish first – you have to finish!
Hey Mark,

I attached the pic as a jpeg so it's easier to view.

When you say "t-nut that is used to hold the back side of the rack loosen", are you talking about what the rear screw on the rack screws into (with bearing between)? I've applied some thread-lock to all the screws on the rack and haven't had anything loosen off.

As for the front Universals, I've only had this happen twice in 5 race days, and they were impacts that would end a race anyways (one broke a ball cup, the other bent the turnbuckle). Both occasions the universals had heat shrink, and because of that all the parts stayed together (didn't have to go searching for pins or anything). Personally I'd prefer to have a DNF rather than having a part that has no give, that ends up needing replacing after these high impacts (could get pretty pricey, although with the Awesomatix we're able to order each individual part), my originals are still working perfectly with no slop!

I'm going to cut the extra length on the axles off (the part that sticks out past the wheel nuts when tightened down), I think this should help transfer more of the impact to the rim, ball cups, and arms.
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-ias.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Steen's set up uses the shorter links AFAIK
Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hana166
Steen's set up uses the shorter links AFAIK
So it does! My mistake
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, how did you find it on the faster corners? Did it lose any stability?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mb3195
Thanks guys, how did you find it on the faster corners? Did it lose any stability?
Seemed like it picked up traction, has a little bit more chassis roll but doesnt stall in the corners like longer links had at times when the traction came up.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Seemed like it picked up traction, has a little bit more chassis roll but doesnt stall in the corners like longer links had at times when the traction came up.
Great, more to add to my testing list for tomorrow...

Now at;
Battery (R1 vs F1)
Flex screws (bulkhead screws in/out)
Roll bars (now the timing is up and running)
Less front castor
Shorter links
Transverse motor

Gonna be a busy 9hours!

Out of interest, with the shorter link, how many shims are you putting in the screw hole on the Front/rear plates (AM18 & AM05), as these are recessed compared to the other locations.

Cheers
Ed
Old 01-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
Great, more to add to my testing list for tomorrow...

Now at;
Battery (R1 vs F1)
Flex screws (bulkhead screws in/out)
Roll bars (now the timing is up and running)
Less front castor
Shorter links
Transverse motor

Gonna be a busy 9hours!

Out of interest, with the shorter link, how many shims are you putting in the screw hole on the Front/rear plates (AM18 & AM05), as these are recessed compared to the other locations.

Cheers
Ed
I have added 1mm to the desired set of shims to compensate for the recessed location.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Glad to see that there will be a couple of these cars running at the Snowbirds this year. Really interested in seeing it run as I am considering changing to it from Xray.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Team Tekin

Just finished building mine!

Very impressive engineering and a beautiful car overall.

Tekin Prez
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have added 1mm to the desired set of shims to compensate for the recessed location.
(I know its a bit OCD but) use the 1.75 included in the kit in place of the 1mm and its about perfect
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez
Just finished building mine!

Very impressive engineering and a beautiful car overall.

Tekin Prez
Does this mean you are racing now? Or did you build it for curiosity?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

I think I'm gonna risk it and run the shorter links from the get go at the weekend, no room for error as its straight into qualifying!

I'm blaming you lot if it sucks! The car has seemed pretty awesome with the longer links but seems to scrub a little too much corner speed.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Team Tekin

Does this mean you are racing now? Or did you build it for curiosity?
We do not get to race onroad very often, but we do have a full carpet track in our building that we do a lot of testing on. I do not think there is another carpet track for 500mi, but there is a new outdoor pavement track and indoor offroad track that just opened in Boise, Id that we are looking forward to running on.

We do get out and race offroad a fair amount in the NW. We love the huge NW tracks and 1/8E buggy and truggy. We also really enjoy indoor clay and traditional 1/10 classes mod buggy, mod truck and 4mod. We have a 180' x 75' offroad track next to Tekin that we test on when it is not under snow. I even have a decent 1/10 track at my house where drinking and driving is legal

We built this car to install our products in it and use it in our tradeshow booth because it is unique and impressive. We also plan to run it on our track testing our products and on any onroad tracks we do go to.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 01-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.