Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nexxus
Mine was like that too did a full rebuild found all 4 arms were bent. I hadn't redone the weights since rebuilding just using a ride height guage and balance blocks, put it on the scales today (as I was thinking about selling them) and it all looks good now.

Even something as small as a bent shock rod / spring holder can do it.
Thanks a lot Nexxus for the reference on your car. Maybe IŽll have to completely go through the suspension again, check rods, springs and everything. Even the P09 which might have the tiniest play on the RHS or something. Or that is not something you guys have experienced?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

for the flatboard check -- you can find an XRay driver to help you. a friendly XRay driver described this to me as-

"On a flat board or a piece of glass to see if it might be bent or twisted. What I normally do to check if my chassis is tweaked is place the car on droop blocks on a flat setup board, then apply & hold pressure to the left and right evenly on the front tower (you could press on the bulkheads I imagine). While keeping this pressure on the front, I will then tap each side of the rear tower. If there is any gap between either corner and the block, the car will move when you tap it which indicates that the chassis is twisted. If the chassis is flat, the car will not move at all when you tap it, it will just feel solid. I then swap ends, applying pressure to the rear tower while tapping the front to check the other way just in case."
Old 12-04-2015, 04:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skjoldborg
Thanks a lot Nexxus for the reference on your car. Maybe IŽll have to completely go through the suspension again, check rods, springs and everything. Even the P09 which might have the tiniest play on the RHS or something. Or that is not something you guys have experienced?
What weight is the battery? The SMC I have on there is a 6500mah and comes in at 305 grams. When I run the Nanotech Ultimate 6000mah they weigh 299 grams so I have 5 grams of weight on the battery side. That gives me a RTR weight of 1390 grams total. If you have a LCG 5600 battery it's probably 270-280 grams so try adding 20 grams to that side and weigh it again. Every 10-15 grams weight can translate to a lot more on the scales I recall having to change out my Tekin RS Gen 2 esc as it was too light, the RSX is 12 grams heavier and it made a difference to the balance.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hanulec
for the flatboard check -- you can find an XRay driver to help you. a friendly XRay driver described this to me as-

"On a flat board or a piece of glass to see if it might be bent or twisted. What I normally do to check if my chassis is tweaked is place the car on droop blocks on a flat setup board, then apply & hold pressure to the left and right evenly on the front tower (you could press on the bulkheads I imagine). While keeping this pressure on the front, I will then tap each side of the rear tower. If there is any gap between either corner and the block, the car will move when you tap it which indicates that the chassis is twisted. If the chassis is flat, the car will not move at all when you tap it, it will just feel solid. I then swap ends, applying pressure to the rear tower while tapping the front to check the other way just in case."
Thanks a lot once again Hanulec! IŽll defiantly try this and see what happens with the chassis and report back!
Old 12-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi to all corner scales users!

I was using this method to setup my cars and become almost crazy about it

Here are my observations (some people may found me wrong):
- no rubber wheels are straight even if fresh out of the bag and the big contact patch can make false results, use setup wheels
- setup wheels are sometime not 100% straight, when having funky or not consistent measurements turn one setup wheel at the time to see if weight change
- check for bent axles suspension parts etc. like already said
- obvious but be certain the surface where you measure is straight level and clean
- when having funky measurements swap the car 180 degree on the scale and swap scale left to tight to see if you have the same measurement, it need to be if not check the scale!

This may sound negative but you may take this into consideration...
I am still using my corner weight scales but now I just use it at home as a reference for weight bias not to setup the car.

My two cents
Alexandre
Old 12-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nexxus
What weight is the battery? The SMC I have on there is a 6500mah and comes in at 305 grams. When I run the Nanotech Ultimate 6000mah they weigh 299 grams so I have 5 grams of weight on the battery side. That gives me a RTR weight of 1390 grams total. If you have a LCG 5600 battery it's probably 270-280 grams so try adding 20 grams to that side and weigh it again. Every 10-15 grams weight can translate to a lot more on the scales I recall having to change out my Tekin RS Gen 2 esc as it was too light, the RSX is 12 grams heavier and it made a difference to the balance.
The weight of my LRP 5600 LCG is 272.2g, but then again the danish DRCMU series weight limit is 1350, so ItŽs like 40g lower than yours? And then again most pro drivers dont have ballast on there batteries, why should i then need to? :-) If you catch my drift.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You also need to pay close attention when mounting the center brace to the chassis plate as this has been known to cause the chassis to tweak. Sometimes you may have to flat board sand the brace or leave a screw out which is causing the tweak

Last edited by sg1735; 12-04-2015 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2015, 05:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by daktulos
Hi to all corner scales users!

I was using this method to setup my cars and become almost crazy about it

Here are my observations (some people may found me wrong):
- no rubber wheels are straight even if fresh out of the bag and the big contact patch can make false results, use setup wheels
- setup wheels are sometime not 100% straight, when having funky or not consistent measurements turn one setup wheel at the time to see if weight change
- check for bent axles suspension parts etc. like already said
- obvious but be certain the surface where you measure is straight level and clean
- when having funky measurements swap the car 180 degree on the scale and swap scale left to tight to see if you have the same measurement, it need to be if not check the scale!

This may sound negative but you may take this into consideration...
I am still using my corner weight scales but now I just use it at home as a reference for weight bias not to setup the car.

My two cents
Alexandre
Thanks a lot for your input Alexandre!

To my own frustration i already do that.
Setupwheels - check.
Turn them around - check.
Swap car 180degrees - checkety check!

It still indicates that the car is heavier on one diagonal line than the other. And especially thinking that the none-engine-side is heavier than the engine-side makes me really frustrated. Seams more and more like its bend IŽm afraid. But IŽll do like Hanulec suggested and come back with the results!
Old 12-04-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skjoldborg
Thanks a lot for your input Alexandre!

To my own frustration i already do that.
Setupwheels - check.
Turn them around - check.
Swap car 180degrees - checkety check!

It still indicates that the car is heavier on one diagonal line than the other. And especially thinking that the none-engine-side is heavier than the engine-side makes me really frustrated. Seams more and more like its bend IŽm afraid. But IŽll do like Hanulec suggested and come back with the results!
One thing I made to my car is to measure the 4 preload screws (RHS) and be certain they are the same length.
After a setup change or rebuild I always screw those screw to the bottom and unscrew them 1 turn and a half at the 4 corners. Habitually I am really close to the ride hight I run and rarely to setup the car I need to adjust one screw more than an other left vs right...
You may try this and see for the same preload how off you are on the scale.
If it's still off and that you already checked for the straightness of the chassis you have something wrong on the suspension side for sure.
After the preload reset you may check to which end the car is wrong by checking the action of the suspension almost like when you check the droop. I do that by checking the action of the SPR02 vs the AM17 when I rock the car on the setup board and the wheels begins to moving up.

I think you figure the essential of what I mean.
Sorry if I am not clear English is not my first language
Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The equal preload on RHS screws is a great tip!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daktulos
One thing I made to my car is to measure the 4 preload screws (RHS) and be certain they are the same length.
After a setup change or rebuild I always screw those screw to the bottom and unscrew them 1 turn and a half at the 4 corners. Habitually I am really close to the ride hight I run and rarely to setup the car I need to adjust one screw more than an other left vs right...
This part is indeed crucial. My method is by using shim/s. I used to have mini4wd cars. I simply use these shims to correctly set the RHS, equally on all 4 sides instead of counting the turns. I find it also hard to measure by using a caliper since that part is tight and tiny (especially if everything is there).
Old 12-04-2015, 09:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

scales:

I do it on a board I have leveled in both directions, using a level, not just a flat board
just wanted to clarify that
Old 12-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all,

I have put my A700 Evo together, set it up and put it on the track and it goes really well! My only complaint is the steering. It has a wide turning circle - even at low speed, and just doesnt have the aggressive turn-in I like. I do not have a caster doodle, so the caster will be off slightly (set as best I can for the mean time).

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to increase the turn-in and make the turn radius smaller? I'm currently running 2k in the rear diff, spool front. 1.5 camber Front, 2.5 rear. 1deg front toe, 3deg rear.

Cheers,

Glen
Old 12-05-2015, 10:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DamageNZ
Hi all,

I have put my A700 Evo together, set it up and put it on the track and it goes really well! My only complaint is the steering. It has a wide turning circle - even at low speed, and just doesnt have the aggressive turn-in I like. I do not have a caster doodle, so the caster will be off slightly (set as best I can for the mean time).

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to increase the turn-in and make the turn radius smaller? I'm currently running 2k in the rear diff, spool front. 1.5 camber Front, 2.5 rear. 1deg front toe, 3deg rear.

Cheers,

Glen
I'm at that stage too, same class (21.5) the car tended to push on corner exit particularly on a sharp right hander just didn't bring itself around enough and was clipping the left hand wall on exit.

A lot of different opinions on set up and to be honest I feel like the dumb kid in the class asking all the questions that I have, but what did help me was removing the swaybars altogether and giving the front a little more caster (4 degrees or so)
Old 12-06-2015, 06:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

?? Not enough turn in. That is either 1) physical servo/steering setup issue. How many degrees of throw do you have on setup gauges? 2) a setup problem with not running the front end softer than rear end

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.