Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WesRaven
Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had. It is definitely a very complicated car to work with compared to any other kit I've worked with. My car feels dialed, and all of its settings still intimidate me. I'm far from "knowing" the car.

The only way you could possibly cause that sort of damage is 1) by not having the shock cylinders installed properly so they were "bottoming out" too soon in the suspension travel and/or 2) you didn't have the up-travel screws installed, so when you hit the boards the suspension went up too far breaking/bending those pieces.
winner winner chicken dinner. It is a complicated car. Until you realize its just different. IMO way easier to work on than other cars. And once you understand spring gap and dampening gap. Its fairly easy to understand.

Take a hard hit those pieces need to be checked.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To be fair, the stock C04 arm has enough flex in it, that on a strong hit, even with up travel screws set you can not only bend the SPR02's but you can also bend the arm... I have a set of C04M's coming to see how much stiffer they are compared to the relatively flexible stock arms.

Last edited by Clegg; 03-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stogie
As for me, I'm done. It was an occasionally fun (but mostly frustrating) ride during this one year period of experimenting with "something different". Time to step away and return to the realm of the sane.

Cars and parts will NOT be up for sale on the Buy/Sell forum in a couple of days thanks to Jamison R's quippy responses. Thanks a ton, dude. Why you gotta be a hater?
Thats what happens when you play Mod indoors and try to keep up with Mr Gravity RC himself. He is not human. All you can do is sweep the leg.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stogie
As for me, I'm done. It was an occasionally fun (but mostly frustrating) ride during this one year period of experimenting with "something different". Time to step away and return to the realm of the sane.

Cars and parts will NOT be up for sale on the Buy/Sell forum in a couple of days thanks to Jamison R's quippy responses. Thanks a ton, dude. Why you gotta be a hater?
stogie - spr02 don't break unless you hit something. with the new damper, D2-s, we have seen more spr02 bending that usual (i used to always bend the spr02 in the rear of my car w/ D6 dampers after a BIG wreck).

this week i built a new Evo 2 kit, and ran it for the first time in racing (no practice due to 'work' getting in the way -- unicorn issues). anyway, after completing just two laps in Q1, i found that i had a little wiggle/bend/gap within my spr02 springs after those first two laps. in the pits before round 2 i adjusted the dampers within the AM17 holders while they were installed in the car. i just loosened the screw on the AM17 and compressed the suspension fully once. i tightened the screws back --- did this one at time. my next run, Q2 wasn't stellar, as i was still working on making my Gee setup not traction roll. when i got back to the pits i expected to have a lot of bent spr02 (as we did at Snowbirds). instead, i found a slop free suspension like i was used to getting w/ the prior car/old dampers.

by round 3 -- i nearly TQ'd, if it wasn't for some back marker body damper -- pancaking my body, i think i could have done it. fairtrace took the same car out in the 3rd round of mod qualifying and beat TQ by 3-4s .... all with a car he never did one lap with.

anyway -- long story short -- the car is different. and sometimes you need to know a trick or two. but in the history of my car racing, i've never been able to build a car, put 5 packs thru it, and nearly TQ at a national quality race. car is super dialed....
Old 03-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hanulec
stogie - spr02 don't break unless you hit something. with the new damper, D2-s, we have seen more spr02 bending that usual (i used to always bend the spr02 in the rear of my car w/ D6 dampers after a BIG wreck).

this week i built a new Evo 2 kit, and ran it for the first time in racing (no practice due to 'work' getting in the way -- unicorn issues). anyway, after completing just two laps in Q1, i found that i had a little wiggle/bend/gap within my spr02 springs after those first two laps. in the pits before round 2 i adjusted the dampers within the AM17 holders while they were installed in the car. i just loosened the screw on the AM17 and compressed the suspension fully once. i tightened the screws back --- did this one at time. my next run, Q2 wasn't stellar, as i was still working on making my Gee setup not traction roll. when i got back to the pits i expected to have a lot of bent spr02 (as we did at Snowbirds). instead, i found a slop free suspension like i was used to getting w/ the prior car/old dampers.

by round 3 -- i nearly TQ'd, if it wasn't for some back marker body damper -- pancaking my body, i think i could have done it. fairtrace took the same car out in the 3rd round of mod qualifying and beat TQ by 3-4s .... all with a car he never did one lap with.

anyway -- long story short -- the car is different. and sometimes you need to know a trick or two. but in the history of my car racing, i've never been able to build a car, put 5 packs thru it, and nearly TQ at a national quality race. car is super dialed....
I found limite the uptravel help the spr02 bending issue alot. I glue an oring onto sway bar holder for little cusion before hitting the uptravel limiter set screw.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The new trick I'm suggesting I believe really works. I ran a lot of mod tc Saturday night post racing and put d2-s only in the rear of the car after re-establishing my old car performance baseline. I'm pretty confident this fine, but ad-hoc adjustment will work for others...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default A700 evo GT setup

does anyone here have a good starting setup for GT class 17.5 traction is low-med. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im beginning to feel like Stogie. I asked many times here for some sort of setup guide and apart from one answer I've been told that I should just set it up like I would normally do.Believe me I would if I knew how. LOL Awesomatix guys write a how to setup guide PLEASE !!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

I was feeling similar with seemingly no starting point, going out to my local club track that changes nearly every event. I was pretty overwhelmed. Thanks to Mark for pointing me in the right direction to get started. Here are a bunch of setup sheets for different conditions.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/awes...ixA700Evo.html

I'm of course extremely green with this car, but I've already found the same thing everyone else seems to have; once you find a good starting point for your track, dialing this car in is just like any other car. The only difference is how you make the adjustments (ie turning a screw rather than changing a spring/fluid, turning tie-rods rather than changing a caster block). The principles in my TC3 tuning guide still apply to this car.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default www.awesomatix.info

New website for all Awesomatix drivers and all people who are interested in the Awesomatix Touring Car.
Created by the European Awesomatix Team.
Here you will find Tips and Tricks, setups, manuals and info about new parts.
The Website is available in English and German language.

www.awesomatix.info

Have a look and enjoy (y)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by hanulec

one quick additional piece of info--

this past weekend i set my up travel to be 14mm high.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clegg
To be fair, the stock C04 arm has enough flex in it, that on a strong hit, even with up travel screws set you can not only bend the SPR02's but you can also bend the arm... I have a set of C04M's coming to see how much stiffer they are compared to the relatively flexible stock arms.
Yep, I'm pretty sure this was the deal. Lots of broken SPR02 and P12 (even with the up-stop set properly) and I was suspecting carbon arm flex beyond the "limits".

I was running Mod sedan on a tight carpet track with unforgiving barriers. This kinda stuff will happen, I understand that.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MDawson
Welcome to Wes (Evo2) and BrianW (Evo & L) joining the Socal contingent of Awesomatix owners. From trackside to this forum you should be covered.

The guys are already looking comfortable in their new rides!
Thanks Mark, You have been key to my transition from Xray to Awesomatix.

For me, I had always seemed to struggle with mid-corner under steer with my Xray T4. At very least, the Awesomatix seems to fit my driving style better. The ease of quick track-side adjustments makes the car tons of fun to try different settings.

The car was very fast first time out, excited to see how the season plays out once we get the car fine tuned....
Old 03-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

So I was looking at Mike Gee's and Andrew's Evo 2 setups and playing around with that setup on an Evo 1. One thing that didn't make sense from the setup sheets that I need some help on is the overall spring rate that is listed?

Going off Andrew Mowery's setup (knowing dampening is different between the Evo1 dampers and the new ones) the damper position and spring screw position don't equal or match the rates listed. Andrews setup sheet shows a 4mm spring gap, 1mm Damper setup, and lists at 55.0F, and a 6mm/1mm 68.4 R . Going off Brent's (V2) spreadsheet and other charts on what that would equal is 66 gF/mm / 55 gF/mm or on Brents V1 spreadsheet (old spring rates) 55 / 45.9 gF/mm

What am I missing on this? Since both setup sheets are using the soft springs, and the SRS1 layout, the actual spring tension is actually reverse (and far different) of what the setup sheets show.

Also has anyone worked out what the rough oil weight equivalent is in the new dampers to what the #6 dampers are?
Old 03-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clegg
Hey Guys,

So I was looking at Mike Gee's and Andrew's Evo 2 setups and playing around with that setup on an Evo 1. One thing that didn't make sense from the setup sheets that I need some help on is the overall spring rate that is listed?

Going off Andrew Mowery's setup (knowing dampening is different between the Evo1 dampers and the new ones) the damper position and spring screw position don't equal or match the rates listed. Andrews setup sheet shows a 4mm spring gap, 1mm Damper setup, and lists at 55.0F, and a 6mm/1mm 68.4 R . Going off Brent's (V2) spreadsheet and other charts on what that would equal is 66 gF/mm / 55 gF/mm or on Brents V1 spreadsheet (old spring rates) 55 / 45.9 gF/mm

What am I missing on this? Since both setup sheets are using the soft springs, and the SRS1 layout, the actual spring tension is actually reverse of what the setup sheets show.

Also has anyone worked out what the rough oil weight equivalent is in the new dampers to what the #6 dampers are?
We are using the hard springs in the rear. The setup sheet also is incorrect for the stiffness of soft springs. if you use brents spread sheet the stiffness for my car was like 63 front and 68 rear.

500 oil is fairly close to the #6 dampers. You will never find an exact match though because of the basic differences in the damper designs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.