Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
There isnt a ton you can do that will make you go as fast as when the track is cooler.. Maybe a little more damping (same spring rate), and if you use sauce like FX2 or LG1, go to a sauce like Tweak or LG2. Other than that, the biggest adjustment you can make is as a driver, make a big effort to drive easier, dont lock up, dont slide, and the tires will be happier at the end of the run. I know if my local track is 140 instead of 120, its like 6 secs slower so you just have to eat it and do the best you can that round.

If you arent running spec tires, go up 1 shore 30s to 36s, etc.

Originally Posted by MDawson
Move to oil based tire additives. If you arent stuck with spec tires - select tires in the 34-36 range, air gap is your friend.

We have ran most of the summer with 135+ track temps. Our cars tend to stay more consistent in the warmer temps with the dampener design.
Yeah thats about how much my track slows down too. Crazy how 20 deg can make that much of a difference. Even with the hot track temps I was happy with how my car ran, no overheated tires or push, just can't run the same lap times as earlier in the day.

But okay, sounds like I was on the right track then. Only thing I do different is run tire tweak at all times of the day, never had much luck with anything else lol.

Its open tire at my track, I run Sorex 36's with a SJR insert. Should I try something else for an insert? I know Sorex 40's work well, but I don't have any currently.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Yeah thats about how much my track slows down too. Crazy how 20 deg can make that much of a difference. Even with the hot track temps I was happy with how my car ran, no overheated tires or push, just can't run the same lap times as earlier in the day.

But okay, sounds like I was on the right track then. Only thing I do different is run tire tweak at all times of the day, never had much luck with anything else lol.

Its open tire at my track, I run Sorex 36's with a SJR insert. Should I try something else for an insert? I know Sorex 40's work well, but I don't have any currently.
With the higher temps it helps to 'bake' the tweak in. Avoid heading out with greasy tires. The SJR inserts are like gold! Stick with that tire/insert package but look at other wheels that give you more air gap. A little trial and error. But a couple of measurements with a caliper will quickly sort out which of the wheels can give you sufficient inner diameter to clear our suspension cups (po1/po2) and an outer diameter that will provide more air gap. The hard wheel vs. soft wheel - i tend to like the hard wheels. The soft wheels in higher temps tend to get mushy.

Even a 10 degree swing can send a track to ice.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello to all,
here is another question:

how do you set your ESC in modified?

What are the differences respect to the regulation of the ESC for a classic touring?

For example, I use a HW 2.1 with a GM5.5 and 8.4 FDR,
in your opinion what would be a good base setup that does not put in crisis the car's traction?

P.S.: sorry for my google translator english
Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

With the higher temps it helps to 'bake' the tweak in. Avoid heading out with greasy tires. The SJR inserts are like gold! Stick with that tire/insert package but look at other wheels that give you more air gap. A little trial and error. But a couple of measurements with a caliper will quickly sort out which of the wheels can give you sufficient inner diameter to clear our suspension cups (po1/po2) and an outer diameter that will provide more air gap. The hard wheel vs. soft wheel - i tend to like the hard wheels. The soft wheels in higher temps tend to get mushy.

Even a 10 degree swing can send a track to ice.
By "baking the tweak in" do you mean using warmers and then letting the tires cool down before running? Or hitting the track with the tires warmed up also? What about cleaning the tires, do the same thing I normally do, or should that change for the heat also?

I'll have to measure all my wheels to see which gives me the most air gap.

Originally Posted by radioriodio
Hello to all,
here is another question:

how do you set your ESC in modified?

What are the differences respect to the regulation of the ESC for a classic touring?

For example, I use a HW 2.1 with a GM5.5 and 8.4 FDR,
in your opinion what would be a good base setup that does not put in crisis the car's traction?

P.S.: sorry for my google translator english
Are you running on asphalt or carpet?

I run the same esc, I usually start with the punch on 3 and go from there depending on the track layout and traction. I'd reccomend you run some drag brake too, 20% is a good starting point.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

By "baking the tweak in" do you mean using warmers and then letting the tires cool down before running? Or hitting the track with the tires warmed up also? What about cleaning the tires, do the same thing I normally do, or should that change for the heat also?

I'll have to measure all my wheels to see which gives me the most air gap.
Yes - use tire warmers to get tweak into rubber. Worse case, air dry is fine but if available, use the warmers.

Based on how your track program runs you might not have a chance to go from the warmers right on the track. That said, they will cool, but what you are after is getting the tweak into the tire and not greasy feel.

Clean tires is usually a good idea. Motor spray is a bit rough on the rubber. SXT Tire cleaner or even just the sauce you are using and rag works fine.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes - use tire warmers to get tweak into rubber. Worse case, air dry is fine but if available, use the warmers.

Based on how your track program runs you might not have a chance to go from the warmers right on the track. That said, they will cool, but what you are after is getting the tweak into the tire and not greasy feel.

Clean tires is usually a good idea. Motor spray is a bit rough on the rubber. SXT Tire cleaner or even just the sauce you are using and rag works fine.
Do you have an opinion on WD40 as a cleaner? I've tried it from time to time, but couldn't really tell.

-Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've only used motor spray (carpet) or buggy grip/lg1 (asphalt) as cleaner..

Last edited by hanulec; 07-30-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Do you have an opinion on WD40 as a cleaner? I've tried it from time to time, but couldn't really tell.

-Mike
Depends on the tire brand - Sweep tires vs. Sorex vs. Solaris vs. Tamiya vs. Ride all react differently to various cleaners. Usually stick to using the same chemicals that I plan on eventually using for sauce.

We have a very unique scenario on the west coast - many of the tracks dont have spec tires so you have to be ready to go fast with whatever will make you the fastest.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Depends on the tire brand - Sweep tires vs. Sorex vs. Solaris vs. Tamiya vs. Ride all react differently to various cleaners. Usually stick to using the same chemicals that I plan on eventually using for sauce.

We have a very unique scenario on the west coast - many of the tracks dont have spec tires so you have to be ready to go fast with whatever will make you the fastest.
Tamiya, haha.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erchn
Tamiya, haha.
There are several that arent on that list that you could have a chuckle about....
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There are several that arent on that list that you could have a chuckle about....
Details...
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Are you running on asphalt or carpet?

I run the same esc, I usually start with the punch on 3 and go from there depending on the track layout and traction. I'd reccomend you run some drag brake too, 20% is a good starting point.
I'm running on asphalt every week.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Durability for mod?

Hi,I have 2x questions,thanks.

- Has the a700 proven itself to be durable running in mod class?

- What is the best product to use for lubricating the alloy right angle gears?

I have an EXL and was considering buying the parts needed to convert to transverse motor config to run mod but didnt quite trust that the alloy gears and driveline would be reliable long term.
At the moment I lube the gears with wurth synthetic silicone spray.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I use self cleaning, wax lubricant (White lightning Clean Ride) that you would use on bike chains. Was suggested to me by another local and works quite well.

http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/
Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragobrat
Hi,I have 2x questions,thanks.

- Has the a700 proven itself to be durable running in mod class?

- What is the best product to use for lubricating the alloy right angle gears?

I have an EXL and was considering buying the parts needed to convert to transverse motor config to run mod but didnt quite trust that the alloy gears and driveline would be reliable long term.
At the moment I lube the gears with wurth synthetic silicone spray.
First I would try inline for modified and see how it goes. It may not be necessary to use transverse. Gears are all hardened steel, not alloy, including transverse bevel gears. Alloy carriers on spool and diffs only. I reckon this car has the most robust driveline of all. Get the spur dampener.
Still on the original A700 drivetrain after nearly two years with the exception of new rear axles and maybe ST16/17 every 6-8 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.