losi 2000 lipo rx how long to charge full

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi 2000 lipo rx how long to charge full

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default losi 2000 lipo rx how long to charge full

ok here is my question. i have a 2000mah losi lipo rx pack. it took 3.5 hours to charge at 2.0 amps. is this right or is this overly long charge time? it was not fully dead either. it was powering my mbx6 just fine. i tried 2 different ice chargers with the same result in slow charging. battery was taking about 1 mah every 30 seconds. same result with both ice chargers. how long does it take with your guys packs? also what charger are you using? thanks to all that answers. just wondering if normal or if there is a problem with this pack. also this is a new lipo 3 weeks old. jeremy
Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jer7469
ok here is my question. i have a 2000mah losi lipo rx pack. it took 3.5 hours to charge at 2.0 amps. is this right or is this overly long charge time? it was not fully dead either. it was powering my mbx6 just fine. i tried 2 different ice chargers with the same result in slow charging. battery was taking about 1 mah every 30 seconds. same result with both ice chargers. how long does it take with your guys packs? also what charger are you using? thanks to all that answers. just wondering if normal or if there is a problem with this pack. also this is a new lipo 3 weeks old. jeremy
Hmmm... 3 1/2 hours is a bit long. I know I had a 1 of my 2000 mah lipos go bad from it being damaged. When I balance charged it, it took a VERY long time for it to balance as one cell was fine and the other damaged. One cell would be the normal 4.2 volts and the other would be 4.04 or somewhere close. It ended up eventually swelling to the point I didn't think it was safe to use and got a new pack. It should normally take about 30 minutes per 1000mah when the pack is healthy. I use a Losi B9605 Balance Charger though. I don't have much experience with the Ice charger.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Something is not right with that. It should not take that long to charge it. Mine doesn't take that long and I balance charge it everytime. Try a different charger other than a Ice charger.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have that battery and the Losi charger that goes with it. I charge mine on my bump box and it takes anywhere from 10 min to 40 min.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You have to watch the charger output data when charging. You can set the charger to a 2000mah lipo, but it may not put out a solid 2 amps, but say .9 amps. It will really depend on your chargers set up as on the ICE there are some variables than can change the actual charging rate, more so when its on a "auto" setting. Also remember, most good chargers will apply a charge and stop to check the voltage to make sure it doesn't over or under charge the cells.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Remember that LIPO's charge totally different than other batteries, and yes 3 1/2 hours is a long time, I would recommend finding a friend with a good lipo balancer that can individually check the cells. But, anyway, using your 2000ma S2 lipo as an example, you would charge it at 2amps. The charger (Any charger set to charge a lipo) will initally charge at 2amps until the lipo gets to 8.402v then it will start dropping the amps down in order to keep the voltage constant. Once the amps gets down to .1 the charger will call it done. If you only run it for a short time and plug it in to charge, it is likely that the voltage will get to 8.402 before the chargers hits the full 2amps charge rate and then you will see a lower number, such as the .9 mentioned earlier. As I understand, once the charge rate drops below the 2amps the battery should be approximately 90% charged and that will take roughly 45-50 minutes. The last 10% however can take up to 30 minutes. As well, once the amps start dropping the lipo is at full power, but the last amps charging will give longer runtime.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where

thank you guys. so what i will do tonight is discharge lipo and recharge with the ice charger. i will watch what happens and keep total time. i will borrow a different charger within a week of a different charger and do the same thing to see if its the charger or the battery. thanks for the info. jeremy
Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Why are you discharging a lipo pack??
It's pointless and risky.
How low have you been discharging your lipo?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gameholic2
Why are you discharging a lipo pack??
It's pointless and risky.
How low have you been discharging your lipo?
Yeah, what he said.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

im not going to fully discharge the pack. only take about 1000 mah out of it. i have never full discharged it. i know it is bad for a lipo to have no juice in it. if it has let's say 750 mah in it. it take 3.5 hours to add another 1200-1300. im trying to see if the battery or charger's are bad. looks like the battery from what i have heard. battery is only 3 weeks old. jeremy
Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

ok here is what i found out. dischared lipo pack to 6.999 volts which was about 1240 mah. charger with ice charger set to 7.4 volt lipo 2.0 amp charge. battery took 1280 mah in 5250 seconds so bout 88 min. i think this is normal specs?? i dont know what the deal was the first time i charged but thank you to the guys that responded to this post. jeremy
Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Now that sounds more like it. I usually don't let mine get down that low so it usually takes mine about a hour to charge.