Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
I have bullet connectors on my pack and I didn't have to hack it all up. It's not rocket science to solder a couple of connectors on and shrink over them.

If I were running single cell all the time I would hardwire the pack directly to the speedo and have it done with. There's really no need for the connectors if your speedo has solder tabs.
Part time put the barrels internal . it looks great too. Soldering on the speedo all the time my be detrimental to the longevity of the speedo. Or even the pack if you leave it soldered. Unless you are an expert solderer like fred there. Some where in this thread you can see the pics of the battery DK modified to suit his liking. He does need to get the right color paint pen tho. LOL
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Packs that are taken apart and altered will not be ROAR legal and it voids the limited warranty we have on our packs.
As far as ROAR is concerned your 1c 4000 packs don't exist. 12th and 10th pan cars are still required to run those old fashioned round cells.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

danny you have a pm thanks albie
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
As far as ROAR is concerned your 1c 4000 packs don't exist. 12th and 10th pan cars are still required to run those old fashioned round cells.
You should checkout the ROAR approved Lipo list as our single cell is on it.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

So everyone in 12th scale will be running them @ the regionals and nats. Right?!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

If I were running single cell all the time I would hardwire the pack directly to the speedo and have it done with. There's really no need for the connectors if your speedo has solder tabs.
Interesting. Would you charge from the ESC solder tabs, or would you bare a short section of the wires to which you clip your charger leads? Staggered, of course, and mindfully positioned within the car to not short on anything else. Hmm...
Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Danny's post was in response to your assertion that in ROAR"S eyes these packs "do not exist". Obviously, if they are on the approved list, they do. This makes them relevant. Whether they are used at the nats or not, the writing is on the wall....inboard connectors or not.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote from Danny:
From what I understand ROAR will freeze the current case size and 5700 will not be possible as that was with the original case that was to high. For those looking for higher capacity and C rate for mod it will be possible for us to make such a pack as there is room left inside the current case.

As far as barrel connectors go it will not happen as there are to many disadvantages to this style connection. Barrels can come apart of the circuit board, Extra solder points due to the circuit board and wear and tear of the of the barrel can increase resistance. Out board connectors can be changed plus can't be plugged backwards

How can ROAR be freezing the case size already. There are too many things that need to be settled before a case size can be defined. I think we need over 5000 mah for these packs, and we haven't figured out what the weight of the cars is going to be.

Danny as for barrel connectors have you tried to wire one of these packs with the dean connectors in a 1/12 scale car? It sucks, the connector and wires are way too big. I will be buying the packs that have barrel connectors. Right now I am hard wiring with out a connector, not the safest method. If the barrels get broke or wear out then I buy a new pack no biggie.

If we can get more Mah and barrel connectors the switch to this will be immediate. These packs work great and the lighter weight does reduce wear.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fred kellner
Quote from Danny:
From what I understand ROAR will freeze the current case size and 5700 will not be possible as that was with the original case that was to high. For those looking for higher capacity and C rate for mod it will be possible for us to make such a pack as there is room left inside the current case.

As far as barrel connectors go it will not happen as there are to many disadvantages to this style connection. Barrels can come apart of the circuit board, Extra solder points due to the circuit board and wear and tear of the of the barrel can increase resistance. Out board connectors can be changed plus can't be plugged backwards

How can ROAR be freezing the case size already. There are too many things that need to be settled before a case size can be defined. I think we need over 5000 mah for these packs, and we haven't figured out what the weight of the cars is going to be.

Danny as for barrel connectors have you tried to wire one of these packs with the dean connectors in a 1/12 scale car? It sucks, the connector and wires are way too big. I will be buying the packs that have barrel connectors. Right now I am hard wiring with out a connector, not the safest method. If the barrels get broke or wear out then I buy a new pack no biggie.

If we can get more Mah and barrel connectors the switch to this will be immediate. These packs work great and the lighter weight does reduce wear.
The wiring worked out pretty well for me, it helped when I glued the connector to the front side of the case, so all that I have to do is push in the connector from my speedo, and doesn't seem to take up any extra room. I'll try to take a picture this evening if you'd like.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have to say that i'm not fond of the leads and plug. I'd really prefer either barrel connectors, or even a pair of beefy solder tabs exiting the case.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

you are my hero stanton mine was a real pain in the ass to get under my shell with the way i got it all laid out. i opened mine up to and used 16 ga and switched the wires to come out the other side.my wiring still needs to be cleaned up cuz im still trying ti figure out my rec pack local but its all good now. i love this pack even tho ive only run it once
Attached Thumbnails SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-picture-019.jpg   SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-picture-020.jpg  

Last edited by buffalobill989; 01-21-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by fred kellner
Quote from Danny:

There is no need for capacity to be higher. That being sai we have room inside the case to make it higher and increase the C rate.

A racer can choose to use whatever conenctors he want and shorten the wires if needed. This pack is also used in many oval classes so it needs to be versatile.

We will let our competitors use inboard connectors if they feel it's the way to do.

As far as case size and having it frozen that is to keep things from getting out of hand.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Interesting. Would you charge from the ESC solder tabs, or would you bare a short section of the wires to which you clip your charger leads? Staggered, of course, and mindfully positioned within the car to not short on anything else. Hmm...
Where I'm racing, the rule is that you have to charge your LiPO in a fire-sack or other safe enclosure. That pretty much eliminates charging the pack in the car.

I'd like to hardwire right to the speedo's posts, but then taking the pack out for charging and putting it back in to run would pretty much mean soldering to those posts eight times per race day (that's just heats and mains, never mind practice)

I AM confident in my soldering skills, but even so, i think I'd prefer to make the eight times a day soldering point somewhere other than the single most expensive component in the car.

I think the idea of adding barrels to the case makes the msot sense. If it's illegal to modify the case for internal barrels, and no one offers a pack with them, then I'd go the external barrels w/heatshrink route that Fred mentioned. Not my first pick, but better than soldering on my ESC all day in my opinon.

I know the Deans plug has no more resistance than a straight shot of wire, but they can be a royal PITA to plug and unplug sometimes. They get the job done, but if there's a way to go without them, I'll choose that route.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Company Representative

What I have seen some of our sedan guys do is to cut the wires at different lengths and then glue a piece of lexan to the case and glue the wires on the lexan to hardwire the speed control wires to the pack.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

My speedo happens to have nice easy to solder tabs and that's what I would do.

Otherwise, there are many other ways to wire things up with the SMC pack. Bullets, Deans, hardwire, plug location etc. It's all fair game with wires coming out of the pack. Bullets in the pack will limit you to one specific location and one specific type of connector that may or may not be very good.

With some of the t-bar guys looking at running this pack on one side of the car it's important to be able to flip the pack over. You can't do that with bullet connectors.

Limiting the capacity should NOT be an issue. We made time in mod with 2000 mAh not too long ago and it shouldn't be that hard to do it now. Perhaps it's time to actually drive a 12th car again instead of just pinning it for 8 minutes and drilling everything that gets in the way. The current 4 cell cars can easily go 50+ mph on a reasonable size carpet track so it's not like they need to go any faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.