Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 setup/tech discussion >

F1 setup/tech discussion

F1 setup/tech discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for putting the thread back on topic, Vyger. What electronics do you put into your cars?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Fox, I know you didn't ask me, but I run the Futaba Spread Spectrum system with the 603FF receiver and a LRP Quantum Sport 2.0 for size and weight. It gives me an on ESC power adjustment for take off too.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Well, in my post before last, I did. So, I appreciate it. I'm just trying to get this thread jump-started, because this could really help a lot of other people down the road.

P.S. I might pickup a LRP Quantum Sport 2.0. I saw it at the hobbyshop, and I was eyeing it. Is it a brushed ESC?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Thanks for putting the thread back on topic, Vyger. What electronics do you put into your cars?
Well, my crap is sort of old school. I use a Futaba radio, receiver (R153F) and servo’s (either FS132H or S9602HS Mini). For the ESC I have LRP Comp II & III, along with Novak Cyclone 1 & 2. I run the Johnson/Mabuchi type motors in car, so I only use 16-18 gauge wire. This cuts down on weight and rubbing between the upper deck and body.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

So what about foam tires? I'm looking for more info on carpet, but I'd like to hear about any experinces with the tires. I bought some of the HBR fronts and rears, but what about the kit tires??
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
So what about foam tires? I'm looking for more info on carpet, but I'd like to hear about any experinces with the tires. I bought some of the HBR fronts and rears, but what about the kit tires??
Rob, I only used the Tamiya foams, hard in front and medium in the rear. They worked very well on carpet with Paragon.

For TCS we had to use the rubber tire so Tamiya Type A was the choice for both F1 and GT.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
Rob, I only used the Tamiya foams, hard in front and medium in the rear. They worked very well on carpet with Paragon.

For TCS we had to use the rubber tire so Tamiya Type A was the choice for both F1 and GT.
I didn't even know that Tamiya makes a rubber F1 tire. What are the part numbers?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Dave. The HBR tires are Tamiya High Butyl Rubber tires, I'm just not sure how they differ from the stock ones..
Old 11-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Thanks Dave. The HBR tires are Tamiya High Butyl Rubber tires, I'm just not sure how they differ from the stock ones..
The new kits all come with foams.

Rob, head back to Madison and give mine a try. The whole staff at PRC is waiting for their shipment to come in and we actually had 4 in attendance last Sunday.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

That last post was meant for Dave
HBRs are foams, they are supposed to have more natural rubber(?). Anyway, Tamiya did make regular rubber tires, like TC rubber, but I believe they are discontinued. Try Ebay, I see sets on there at times.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

I use Blade hard foams tires for front, and mediums for rear. For asphalt I use TRG rubbers.

I have to say, I'm impressed with TRG's rubber tires. They keep their grip a lot longer than most tires.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Rob, with regards to the tires; I don’t have any experience with carpet. But I’ve talked to allot of people that have and do race on that surface. If memory holds true they where running the same as the asphalt guys just applying their tire sauce a little different.

The tire set up I use is kit rears and HBR medium fronts. The HBR softs are too soft and the car tends to make the car oversteer. Running the HBR’s on the rear of the car was horrible. The traction would just give up as you enter the turn, and forget about breaking. I sauce the entire rear tire and all or half of the front depending on grip.

Tamiya use to make rubber tires, A-Type and B-Type. They introduced rubber tires to help control teching at the TCS race series. For a while guys where showing up and running illegal tires, the rules stated everyone running that class had to use Tamiya tires. Not everyone followed those rules. So they came up with their own rubber tires and foams where banned. They rubbers worked pretty well and you didn’t have to carry a tire truer around, which was nice. Eventually they where discontinued like the F103. Now, for some reason they decided to re-release the F103 with foams, so the tire war starts all over again.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Well, after having the chance to run the car quite a bit in practice today, I think some things are clearer.

The HBR tires seem to be more like the Purple/Magenta /Pink family of foam, more of a natural rubber foam.

Kit tires are more like gray/white or even blue/green, synthetic type. It became more apparent after I ran the car from their behavior and appearance.

I wound up with 15,000 wt 1/8 diff oil on the dampner plate. I cranked down the spring quite a bit too. I'm thinking 20,000 or higher may be even better. I started with 7,000 at first, but the car would roll too far and want to flip or hook at the extreme ends of the steering travel. Thicker oil plus dialing quite a bit of throw out of the car got things very close. I think the dampner plate spring tension is important to help regulate side to side movement without loosing too much steering throw. I didn't want to make the car push in the 180's because I was dialing out all the steering travel.

I tried the kit tires, and also HBR Med fronts and HBR Soft rears. The only negative thing I noticed with the Kit rears is that they blew out the traction part way through the run, like grays can do. I probably should have sauced longer.

The HBR tires were good, but I wound up putting some glue on the fronts, as the car wanted to traction roll. After that, I was happy with the tires.

I was super impressed with how fast the car was with a silver can and a lipo. The car was also very good straight off of the pit board, and only needed to have the radio settings dialed in for the most part. The stuff I changed was pretty minimal, but I'm sure there is plenty to explore.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

You could also have Rick (gone bannanas) cut some foam donuts for you. He has regular foam and hbr foam. Have you experimented with truing the tires down at all?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gto0209
You could also have Rick (gone bannanas) cut some foam donuts for you. He has regular foam and hbr foam. Have you experimented with truing the tires down at all?
F1 normally has a strict tire diameter rule. Too small and you have to replace them. I have some cross 30 and 35 for the F103 if you want to experiment with them. I don't think they'll fit anything other than the F103 rear end setup though. I can see truing them, but not grinding the heck out of them like the 1/12 scale and oval guys. That's just nuts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.