Could use some help with set up.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could use some help with set up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Could use some help with set up.

Hello..I'm kinda new to electrics and i have the Novak HV pro 6.5 combo in my losi
8ight buggy.I am using a Spektrum DX2.0..I would like to copy someones Radio settings if i could and would also like to know what settings you used in the programming of the esc itself..I havent messed with it much so far but it does cut out at anything over half throttle.I hope my description is clear enough.The batteries are nothing special(venom 3000 7 cell packs) but i just wanted to try this thing out before diving in with lipos.Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Could use some help with set up.-getattachment.jpg  

Last edited by xv-townboy; 11-13-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i had very bad luck with venom batteries. from my experience (search the forum for "VENOM SUCKS") these batteries are no good..
Old 11-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The batteries IMO are just not up to the task for an 1/8 scale electric buggy. I ran good quality matched 6 cell packs wired in a series when my truggy was converted to BL and they did the job but comparing LiPO and NiMH is like night and day. Everything you are using looks fine except for the batteries.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Cutting off at half throttle is almost certainly your batteries. You could try to use a glitch buster for less than $10. Most likely your batteries are getting drained to the point where your receiver isn't being powered and shuts off.

Although that may eliminate some or all of your problem, you are going to need some better batteries. If half throttle is enough to rob your receiver of power, you are most likely putting a tremendous strain on the batteries. I bet they are nearly smoking after a run? They won't last long like that!

Go lipos if and when you can afford it. A pair of lipos isn't much more expensive than a pair of quality nimh packs today, and the performance and longevity is much better.

As for the setup, not much to be done. Set your throttle and brake end points at 100% before calibrating your ESC. Leave them set at 100% unless you have too much brakes and want to turn that end point down, although often times adjust the end points can create problems with your esc reading properly. Set your steering end points just under the point where there is binding. If you want less steering you can turn down those end points without issue.

I'm not familiar with the DX2 but I do use dx3's and I think they have the same options. You can smooth out your steering and throttle using the exponential settings. Negative exponential will make the steering or throttle less sensitive around center, taking some twitch out of the steering or overpowering out of the acceleration. Personally I prefer to leave those alone and learn to drive the transmitter. It feels more predictable to me like that and you may need to have full response on occasion.