Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya wrx onroad conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya wrx onroad conversion

Hey guys,
Ive converted my Tamiya WRX onroad into a Offroad Monster Truck.
Ive rang a few hobby stores and they have informed me that i might have trouble with turning the 115mm offroad tyres. It has a 15 motor instead of the std 12 but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i can do to make this thing work? :P
What kind of gear ratios would be reccomended?
ill have to get the info on what ratio im running atm but i dont have them on hand sorry.
I have uploaded some pictures because im not too sure what model Tamiya it is so if anyone could inform me on the model that would be great :P

Tamiya wrx onroad conversion-wrx.jpg

Tamiya wrx onroad conversion-wrx1.jpg

Tamiya wrx onroad conversion-wrx2.jpg

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
Bob
Old 11-13-2008, 01:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *bob*
Hey guys,
Ive converted my Tamiya WRX onroad into a Offroad Monster Truck.
Ive rang a few hobby stores and they have informed me that i might have trouble with turning the 115mm offroad tyres. It has a 15 motor instead of the std 12 but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i can do to make this thing work? :P
What kind of gear ratios would be reccomended?
ill have to get the info on what ratio im running atm but i dont have them on hand sorry.
I have uploaded some pictures because im not too sure what model Tamiya it is so if anyone could inform me on the model that would be great :P

Attachment 387996

Attachment 387997

Attachment 387998

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
Bob
This is a TG10 Mk.1 which is cousins with the new TNS, TNS-FD, TNS-B, TNS-B15 and TNS-T18 aka RevStorm.

Tamiya XBG Series

Basically, your LHS interest is that you leave what you have and start a new. They deemed that you don't have much experience with the car especially with a car that has been long discontinued and rather for you to spend the money on newer cars that they are more familiar with and have well stock support in their store. Of course, you can always order the parts to get what you want but the cost won't be as affordable and in their minds won't be of yours and theirs best interest to acquire.

Here is the link to the Tamiya Manuals to help your cause.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 AM
Tech Rookie

well basically all they said i need is to figure out what ratio i will need to run the bigger tyres... they said smaller the gear the more bottom end i will need. atm im running a 16 main gear off the clutch bell... then a 18t - 32t spur gear.. then to a 30t gear which then goes to the diff gearing. I have a 16t- 32t spur gear and a 32t gear after that.. would that give me more bottom end?
basically i have the car all ready to run with the 115mm tyres etc its just the gear ratio i have to figure out.
I have a pic of what it looks like as a monster truck so ill upload it tommorrow for yas to have a look at.
cheers
bob
Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Basically you need the biggest spur gear that will fit in the chassis and the smallest clutch bell.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default pics

hey, i rang my LHS and they dont stock any gearing for this model

Anyways im going to give it a shot when i get the hubs to fit the tyres.. atm i just have made some to see what it would look like when finished. I have uploaded some pics of before and after :P hope ya like!

Tamiya wrx onroad conversion-wrx3.jpg - before

Tamiya wrx onroad conversion-monster.jpg - after

Tamiya wrx onroad conversion-monster1.jpg - after
Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *bob*
hey, i rang my LHS and they dont stock any gearing for this model

Anyways im going to give it a shot when i get the hubs to fit the tyres.. atm i just have made some to see what it would look like when finished. I have uploaded some pics of before and after :P hope ya like!

Attachment 388273 - before

Attachment 388275 - after

Attachment 388276 - after
Go to TamiyaUSA for the item.

The item you want is #9004082 - Gear Bag.

Your MT is actually nothing new to Tamiya. They made one version just like yours called "Mad Bison" (44025).

Here is the exploded view of the parts needed to build Mad Bison and List of part numbers for it for reference so next time you order through your LHS, you just need to tell them I want to order Tamiya part number XXXXXX or XXXXXXX.

Mad Bison Exploded View

Mad Bison Parts list

I hope that helps.

PS: Btw, your front and rear left tires are BACKWARDs