Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Vector x12 Brushless Motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Isn't it better to run higher boost en less turbo?
At least this is with Tekin.
never run higher turbo then 12.

regards Roy
In stock i don't like to run whith a lot of turbo. But in modified, i personnaly have too much power so boost 0 is fine.
Turbo is just used to have a high top speed, and with this setup the motor temps don't exceed 50-55 ° celsius ( 2-3 ° on the track )
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Aha
I never run mod, just stock.

regards Roy
Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Adept

Aha
I never run mod, just stock.

regards Roy
Just watch the video, the top speed is really nice
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Wil look at vid when home
Youtube is blocked at work

regards Roy
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by briankstan
I have a few questions for a friend of mine. He purchased a new LRX SSX stock spec v.2 and a Vector X-12 17.5 motor combo for running in our 17.5 TC carpet class. he has the car geared with a rollout of 4.0 the chassis is an Associated TC4.

the car ran fine in the first couple of qualifiers, but was getting really hot. in the 240° range. I'm running the same rollout but don't see anywhere near that temperature I'm more in the 170-180° range with my TC6.

there isn't anything binding as we checked it without having the motor installed and everything was running free and smooth.

so here is what is happening. when sitting on the bench the car will power and accelerate. but when you set the car down it will cutout when you accelerate to full power, then nothing. He thinks maybe he smoked the motor, but I have read that these X-12 motor are pretty heat resistant. I know his was on the hot side, but would it cause they symptoms that he has?

could it be a problem with the ESC? Motor Rotor? or possibly a problem with the sensors in the motor?

also any idea why it would be so much hotter while running the same rollout as other cars?

thanks in advance for your help.
Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Definitely sounds like a sensor problem. Check the connections of the wire, and try a different wire. Ive also had one sensor go bad in the motor. Double check all the solder connections to the power wires, running that hot could expose a bad connection.

As for why it runs hotter, there could be a few factors. Im assuming the motor timing is the same on the 2 motors. The first thing that comes to mind is airflow. The motor is more tucked in and hidden if you will on a TC4 vs the 6, and doesnt see as much airflow. The other thing it could be is its just that motor. A great example is the Sonic's in my and my friends TC6's. Im at a 3.76 w/ 40* of timing, and I run around 160-170. He has to run a 4.0 and 30* to get the same temps. Motor to motor, motors are still different.
Originally Posted by briankstan
thanks Mike, I'll pass the info along to Russ. It'll give him somethings to check out before spending money on anything or having to send it in.
Too Late!! I already sent it in and spent alot of money on a newer car.

To give some insight to the problem I have a TC3 actually but pretty much the same as the TC4. I geared at 75/46 for a FDR of 4.01.

I purchased a brand new LRP Stock Spec V2 ESC and X12 17.5 motor as a combo. I installed it and set it up with my radio as per instructions. I did not change any settings on the motor or ESC as it came from the box as it appeared that most of the settings were suitable as a starting point for my car. Being my first 10th scale brushless motor I really like the way the motor felt on the first run even though it seemed pretty hot after. I only had one Lipo battery that is 3200mah and 20C. This could be part of the problem. Anyway I notice that the car got progressively slower and it seems that the heat slowed it down alot. At the end of the main the car just stopped. I took it home and it appears that if you give it a sudden burst of throttle it just shuts off the ESC and you need to turn it back on. It will kinda work with little of no load but as soon as you go to 3/4 to full trigger it shuts off again. Oh also it shut off the first run after somebody t-boned me (not that hard) but it shut down and had to be turned off and then on to work again.

Ok so I sent it into Associated for Diag and Repair if needed. I left everything soldered together and the sensor wire installed so they can see just how it was hooked up. I didnt see any cold solder or bridges that would short it so I dont know what the problem is. Not sure if it was me that did something wrong or if it truly is defective in some way.. maybe a bit of both.

So flash forward to today. I dont have the motor back yet but was told last week that it was being looked at. I decided that although I like the TC3 I would pick up a TC6 like Brians so I could set it up similarly and hopefully have no more problems.

When I get the combo back from Associated I could use some advice on an initial settings to start with for the ESC and Motor in the TC6. We are running 17.5 class and no boost is allowed but timing is ok. I was going to wire up one or two small fans I have that are 1" 5V .8W. I thought I would wire up paralell and run one on the ESC and one blowing on the motor. Would it be ok to use a channel on my Airtronics 92744 receiver to power them or should I run off the ESC's fan output? Or should I not run my own fans but buy something specific?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Russ
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Russ, since we are running in Blinky for 17.5 you just need to make sure that you have modes 2 and 3 set to 0, it should come that way. I'll get you my setup for the TC6. It'll be a good place to start and you can adjust to you liking from there.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF
Too Late!!
We are running 17.5 class and no boost is allowed but timing is ok. I was going to wire up one or two small fans I have that are 1" 5V .8W. I thought I would wire up paralell and run one on the ESC and one blowing on the motor. Would it be ok to use a channel on my Airtronics 92744 receiver to power them or should I run off the ESC's fan output? Or should I not run my own fans but buy something specific?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Russ
I am running the StockSpec v2 with X12 17.5.
same thing NoBoost class.
A fan is a must have in this class....before anything install a good fan...even if it cost $20 (a bit on the high side of choices).
I direct solder the fan to the Esc, battery post Pos & Neg
you will get a much high RPM output from the fan in this manner, just make sure the fan can handle the current.
you will probably see the temp go down approx 20 degrees.

MuchMore High RPM fans are good..
remember get a high quality fan..never use a cheapie.
it will keep you from buying motors. I have been running my first X12 since April of last year...still going strong. never been past 180.
The best fan on the market is sold by Side Piece Racing....but they are on back order, hoping it will come in soon...those fans are freakin nuts...sounds like a turbine...and flow is 10x everything else.

I also just started running the LRP fan on the speedo itself.. used the plug n play slot already on the speedo for it...just using it as a safety. not really necessary.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Hmmmmmmm
I am running a X12 13.5 on a Tekin RS wide open and never got a overheated motor.
Not using a fan on the ESC just one on the motor.
Running a 250 meter outside track and no problems at all.
Running the motor since februari last year and still going strong.

regards Roy
Old 01-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default hi

hey guys i need a little help with my tc6, Im drive a tc6 with x12 motor 96 spurs gear and 48pinion 64p but i can get down 13 sec on the track may Ido something else without my motor don't get overheated, oh i use tekin rs esc thanks
Hmmmmmmm
I am running a X12 13.5 on a Tekin RS wide open and never got a overheated motor.
Not using a fan on the ESC just one on the motor.
Running a 250 meter outside track and no problems at all.
Running the motor since februari last year and still going strong.

regards Roy
Old 01-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

a new lrp motor ?

http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/lrp-vec...or/#more-50927
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Ronald Völker used it at DHI Cup as far as I know.

Originally Posted by Manson
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

They are going to be released from 4.0T to 10.5T
At the moment only the 4.0,5.0 and the 10.5 haven't got a item number

regards Roy
Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

any recommendations for settings with this motor in 12th stock?

running x12 17.5 with tekin rs.
80ish mm rollout on a smaller technical track.
not sure what to time it at with the timing inserts ect.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
any recommendations for settings with this motor in 12th stock?

running x12 17.5 with tekin rs.
80ish mm rollout on a smaller technical track.
not sure what to time it at with the timing inserts ect.
By stock, you mean blinky? For blinky, id go with the 4 dot insert, and around a 96mm rollout.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

sorry. i didnt clearify.

Stock for us is 17.5 boost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.