Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling... >

Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Rustler Clicking noise when rolling...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Hawk II diff will not work. The gear mess is different compared to your.

This is the direct replacement:

[URL="http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_661/products_id/14889"]

To get an upgraded diff you may have to call Traxxas and see if they offer anything for it. I have had my rustler for a couple years and havent had any problem with the rear end. You say you have change that out more than once? Makes it sound like the bearings are bad.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

Traxxas makes an aftermarket diff for the rustler. its a pro ball diff.

[URL="http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/nrustler4409/trx_nrustler_accessories.htm"]

scrool down alittle on the page and you will see it. It is 60 bucks but i would say in your case well worth the money.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default diff.

do you think the problem is with the diff outer shell or the gears inside?

-Stephen
Old 11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Tech Addict

you know i did think about that. There is a possibility that there could be a couple gears in there taht are stripped, or a couple teeth broken causeing it to make that noise. The only thing you can do is take it apart and find out for yourself. those 4 screws come out and the center shaft there has a gear on the end of it and there should be 4 spider gears in there. just be careful when you take it apart.

If you got the Pro Ball Diff you wont have to worry about all the extra crap. All the is, is lock a straight axle on a full size truck. Both tires are going to spin at the same speed no matter what. There is a disadvantage to that, yuo lose alittle in the turning area, but for bashing in gravel like you are they work great.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

Default bashing...

I am looking into 2wd racing at my lhs this next season so if it hurts my handling for the track I probably shouldnt...

You say it could be the gears inside...or the main gear on the outside - Does this mean you are sure it is the differential or? because I have a second one from my old trans - im not sure if it was what went back before too or what but maybe I could exchange gears inside or something...I just need to know if that is the issue

Thanks again - if a video or anything would help let me know - I can take pics or video or w/e you need I just need to figure this out

Thanks again guys : )
Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Just disassemble it already
Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

the only way bro is to take it apart and look for yourself. they are not hard to take apart or put back together. I am about 98% sure that it is the diff. the other 2% would be bearings but i dont think so. that Pro ball Diff is not completely locked. it can be adjusted for racing thats what its for. that pro ball diff would be more of a better deal in the long run anyways. for one you dont have spider gears to deal with so there for you are eliminating one probable cause of a problem.

Just take it apart and look for yourself if it isnt broken then it aint broke it would have to be something else. but by taking it apart you will learn more about it and better yourself in the long run.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Rookie

im not sure what the problem could be but i have a spare used transmission that i would sell to you if you find out that the transmission is the problem $20 shipped
Old 11-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default trans...

I have disassembled it already and I didn't see anything wrong as far as stripped gears or anything - Everyone that replied told me that it is prolly the diff. but I took it apart as well and I didn't see anything abnormal in there either but this is coming from someone who saw the inside of a nitro rustler trans for the first time - also - I took it into the lhs today and they told me that if it still works just to leave it because it is semi-normal for RC cars to click and grind a little as long as nothing is running different - so now im confused as what to do

-Stephen
Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Tech Addict

There should not be any noise coming from anywere as loud it is. I have a nitro rustler that has more power in the motor than it should and i have had nothing happen to my tranny ever since i have had it. i would say hell with the stock tranny and get the after market one.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Default link to tranny?

I didnt even know they made an aftermarket one...do you know where I can find it...do you have a link to a site that sells it?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

there is a link on post 17. just copy and past it

http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...ccessories.htm

scroll about half way down