Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent is now owned by Chinese people now? >

Serpent is now owned by Chinese people now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent is now owned by Chinese people now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stefan
Why don"t you understand.

The whole world is consumed with American affairs, since you are one of the bigger countries and the decisions of your president have a big influence on all our lifes.

That's probably a good thing for your ego, BUT it also brings a huge responsibility with it.
That's why most people in the world were very concerned about the outcome of your election.

Agree and not only that. USA president also have big influence on all other countries's decision. Every countries is looking what USA doing especially now.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default AMPS Rapier

Hate to be the pedantic one but I think the AMPS Rapier was the first commercially available suspension car of the shall we call it modern era. Must have been about 79-81 period.

The PB became available commercially in early to mid 1981. The Associated prototypes started to appear around this time as well although Rick of course would have a better knowledge of this than me.

The Serpent suspension car became available in early 1982 and featured such novel features as no shockabsorbers apparently the friction on the pins would be adequate ! ? Not long after shockabsorbers became available, as an option of course.

Last edited by MugenWrecker; 11-07-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The whole world is consumed with American affairs, since you are one of the bigger countries and the decisions of your president have a big influence on all our lifes.

That's probably a good thing for your ego, BUT it also brings a huge responsibility with it.
That's why most people in the world were very concerned about the outcome of your election.

Yep I'm concerned also as I didn't vote for him. He made many promises that I think he won't be able to keep. But I am willing to give him a chance and see what he'll do. If in 4 years the country isn't in better shape and just a few of the promises aren't kept.....then we'll vote him out.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nobody cares to look at your polical views on an RC hobby forum. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and take it elsewhere.

Last edited by jman37; 11-07-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Relax dudes, criticism is part of the freedom you preach. Some times it is even good to listen to it

Anyway, Serpent by Far East...

Well, I had the F180 which were the first cars made in China. The quality was not very impressing... Screws etc were worse than ever. Bearings very poor etc.

Compared to my other EU made Serpents, there were a BIG difference.

Good or bad, well for me I changed to Xray, nice car - a little boring copycat compared to 720 but handles well.

Too bad they could not keep everything in Holland.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

"Will those feet in modern times, walk on souls that are made in china." -RA
Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by b_esser
Rick...thanks for correcting me. Sometimes it's not always what you think you know. Having tested the prototypes back then probably couldn't even compare to today...but, maybe with today's radios....probably not. But how about the reliability of the engine for the Miami Enduro... K&B wasn't it? One Glow plug....had to be the Lion Power Fuel! Great memories nonetheless.
Did some digging last night - here is a copy of the Associated ad from R/C Racing News - October 1981 - Gosh it was nice of Ralph Burch to let the youngster from the crowd hold his trophy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
October 81 Associated Ad.pdf (115.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Lord

I can remember the "war" between Picco about a copy of the INSBOX, in that discussion Picco was very right about the copy of the balljoint suspension introduced with the Excel which was already in use for years by the Picco and BMT cars.

Also with the WC 1989 in Heemstede Serpent managed to get the design of a Paris exhaust and copied it. Paris was very upset because it was no public pipe and an example was send to the EFRA to get a homolagation number.

Even the "inovative" Centax clutch is just a copy of a clutch from a motorscooter.

OK, Serpent could be inovative but do not think they have develloped it all...
Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MugenWrecker
Hate to be the pedantic one but I think the AMPS Rapier was the first commercially available suspension car of the shall we call it modern era. Must have been about 79-81 period.

The PB became available commercially in early to mid 1981. The Associated prototypes started to appear around this time as well although Rick of course would have a better knowledge of this than me.

The Serpent suspension car became available in early 1982 and featured such novel features as no shockabsorbers apparently the friction on the pins would be adequate ! ? Not long after shockabsorbers became available, as an option of course.
No problem the AMPS car was something we never saw much of in the states (actually not sure if I ever saw one in person) so it didn't come up in my memory, think also there was an early Italian car maybe Mantua that I have no data on. The Associated prototypes also had no shocks originally but at Ratteys with all the bumps they were necessary so I bought a set of PB shocks from the importer (Larry ?? out of Pennsylvania) and sat in the motel room and got them adapted.
Since we've again hijacked the thread away from posters hiding behind screen names arguing about geopolitical issues one of the racers from Detroit Jack Jacobs ran a suspension car at the first worlds in Pomona - 1977.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Very interesting and important RC history going on here from Rick Davis and other contributors. I hope other readers are paying attention above the 'din' of other subjects.

How's that saying go?? You can't tell what you're supposed to do if you can't remember what you've already done. Something like that.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

J_P...I can't remember if I hit my head or not...wonder if that's a sign.

Rick...that's awesome stuff! I didn't mean to send you off on a nostalgia hunt though. Lavacot looks like he was about 14 years old! Wasn't Ralphie driving with a Futaba Brown Box upside down (antenna down) with the steering in his left hand?

Carry-On!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blee
Obvious this statement is not ture.

NT1 released in Feb 02, 2007 (see Xray website). I ordered my NT1 of first batch from Nexus Racing at April 25, 2007. At that time, the price of NT1 is $399.99 and now is $529.99.

See Xray website here.
If i talk in years i talk in racing seasons, done two seasons with the cars. Not a two years as in 24 months, because from oktober till march i don't drive because of the weather.
But i drove car way earlier then the actual release date, tested a pre production model so i could make a choice for the 07 season. Got the car in a bag with no instructions what so ever.

And to get on topic:
I really hope Serpent can get back in the game and be competitive again. The development on the new 1/10 car, was almost done so hope to see it soon, because the 720 is lagging behind on the other cars.

And the quality can only improve, only thing done in holland was some injection molding and putting all the parts together to make it kit's.
And the injection molding wasn't state of the art and done under some pretty old fashioned circumstances.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jman37
Nobody cares to look at your polical views on an RC hobby forum. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and take it elsewhere.
Open minded people that are able to look beyond their own plate usually do.

Moronic, brainwashed yes-sayer usually don't.

That's all I have to say about that, Bubba!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

To me it really doesnt matter who wons serpent or any other RC company. Its the prduct they produce. I dont know who owns mugen,kyosho or any of the others and dont care where they have there manufacturing done at.
Its the end PRODUCT. And if serpent had to take on a partner to get working capital. Thats business. The next year or two will tell if it worked.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It seems Xray bearings are also made in china. So much for the luxury brand.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent is now owned by Chinese people now?-untitled-2.jpg  

Last edited by nitrodude; 11-15-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.