Search
Like Tree7Likes

VTA tuning Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
on of the things you could do to fix your problem ( I had the same) is use Jack on all the rears and only the inside half of the front tires. im guessing your tires are nice and broke in and sticky so you don't need alot anymore on the fronts. with your tire coming unglued the side walls could of been rolling under and turning you over. another thing could be trigger controle. I fould if your lifting too much that the suspension is settleing down to far., Basicly your bottoming out the suspnsion so theres no more flex and the tires end up takeing the full load.if traction is still too much of a problem clean your tires with motor spray, it will dry the rubber and harden the tires. hope this works for you
Thank you for the info. I'll start w/ only puting tire compound on 1/2 the tire then got to the springs if there's still a problem. You are correct about the tires being sticky and I did just soften the rear springs that race day but I can't remember if it was before the traction roll.
Change one thing at a time. Right?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Remember that running on carpet your tires may become too soft. Sometimes it's easier to run newer tires. It does take quite a few race days, but eventually you need to save those tires for outdoor racing.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tiger72
Thank you for the info. I'll start w/ only puting tire compound on 1/2 the tire then got to the springs if there's still a problem. You are correct about the tires being sticky and I did just soften the rear springs that race day but I can't remember if it was before the traction roll.
Change one thing at a time. Right?
One thing at a time thats right. and if its still a problem I almost forgot go to a heavier weight shock oil but them tips and a stiffer front spring should fix you. I wouldent wory too much about the rear. I found rear springs are mostly for rear traction. if your geting alot of rear traction stiffen the rear springs till you start to loosen up again then back it off a bit. you will lose less energy transfer to the suspendion then the ground. rember the energy you could put to the ground goes into squating the suspendion. example.. high end drag car that have wheely bars you see them doing small wheel stands when they could stand it streight up if they wanted. because they dont want to loose that forward energy. just a small tip to give that extra edge
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Decent grip asphalt + VTA tires + front spool??

What is the benefit of running a spool when racing with rubber tires on asphalt? Do you get better steering response (like a one-way), but still have front brakes?
Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

I tryed a Spool in my Xray T1R on carpet and I didnt like it. your extreamly tight entering a corner but on the + side you can power out of a corner harder. Ive noticed my motor ran about 10* hotter with a spool then a oneway. spools are alot harder on the out drives and the drive shafts.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

wiscnitro,
Just remember when the Huricane Race comes to RCP this winter, you are going to have to run a Spool or Front Diff for the rules for that race. I am going to run a spool in both my RCGT and VTA car this fall. Probably going to have to change your setup a little bit to help the spool. Also Xray does make a complete plastic spool with plastic outdrives.
Dave
Old 06-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Decent grip asphalt + VTA tires + front spool??

What is the benefit of running a spool when racing with rubber tires on asphalt? Do you get better steering response (like a one-way), but still have front brakes?
You'll need to change your brake/turn in points a bit, but the car will steer harder off the corner. The main think is greater stability than the one way under brakes, and even into the corner.

I have gone back and forth between a one way and a spool, and because a one way is really a spool under power, the difference is not a ton. Mainly, the spot you get off the gas and turn in for each corner. If grip is high, and the track is open, a one way might be better, but the spool is good if you have a lot of 180s, tight spots, etc. A lot is driver preference as well.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

need help with asphalt setup...TC5r,LRP-SPX,new TA tires...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova
wiscnitro,
Just remember when the Huricane Race comes to RCP this winter, you are going to have to run a Spool or Front Diff for the rules for that race. I am going to run a spool in both my RCGT and VTA car this fall. Probably going to have to change your setup a little bit to help the spool. Also Xray does make a complete plastic spool with plastic outdrives.
Dave
Hey Dave Thanks for the heads up. I didnt know those were the rules for that race. Ill have to order one or Jim might let me use his again. Ill probly have to gear up since I over temped in the main when I ran the spool
Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default FDR?

Anybody been running the 21.5 / Lipo combo with the LRP SPX Stock?

I just switched for last race and was wondering what FDR anyone is having success with. I'm running about a 4.5 FDR on profile 6 getting temps at 135 on a very hot day. I know I should go to profile 7 but I just changed the motor, battery, and FDR so I wanted to start a bit slower to get more practice first.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tiger72
Anybody been running the 21.5 / Lipo combo with the LRP SPX Stock?

I just switched for last race and was wondering what FDR anyone is having success with. I'm running about a 4.5 FDR on profile 6 getting temps at 135 on a very hot day. I know I should go to profile 7 but I just changed the motor, battery, and FDR so I wanted to start a bit slower to get more practice first.

Thanks.
Im running a 104/45*2=4.6 on my TC5 on profile 5...just remember that you want to keep the cars you are racing EVEN...I dont know what the field is like ,but if most are running reg esc's(GTB's ect)...the SPX on 7 will blow them away..lol

and it will also depend on track size...
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default TC4 pavement setup

Great thread with lots of info!!!!

I'm new to the whole VTA Scene ans was wondering if anyone can help out with a good starting setup for my TC4?

I'm building a tub chassis TC4 with the 21.5/lipo and a spool. I'll be racing on a large, high traction paved track. It is roughly 200x100 and has a ton of grip from being treated with a VHT type treatment.

Here is a pic to give you an idea of its size and flowing layout.

The track is also hosting the First Annual Vintage Onroad Challange. I attatched the flier for the race if anyone is interested. Track website: https://controlfreakz.com
Attached Thumbnails VTA tuning Q&A-areial-view.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VINTAGE RC RACE.pdf (54.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Tazz888

That looks like a great race facility. Are you the owner I would like more info on what it take to have a plce built like that.

Rodney
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TMHippo
Hey Tazz888

That looks like a great race facility. Are you the owner I would like more info on what it take to have a plce built like that.

Rodney
I wish I was the owner!!!! All I can tell you from talking to the owner is that he dumped a ton of money into making a world class facility. He owns the Kawasaki dealer that the tracks are behind. He is in the planning stages of adding a full hobby shop and a new building for the shop and an indoor carpet track!!! By the way, the offroad track has a full pop up sprinkler system as well!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, time to refit the Mustang to Hurricane specs as I'd like to make those races this year up here in the great white north. I have of all things a center one way in my TC3 from a TC4 Nitro going into the front diff, so the diff is actuallty intact (no one way diffs allowed this year by the way). I'm wondering if that will still be considered legal as the diff is still in place and the one way is only on the input shaft? Just trying to save myself 15 minutes of work...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.