Wiki Posts
Search

iNDi 30 Amp Discharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default iNDi 30 Amp Discharger

I just got a Integy 30 amp discharger from ebay for $7 shipped so I really cant complain. Im was mainly looking to get some more capacity out of my batteries because my 2 gp3300s matched drop at the end of the race and when someone discharged them for me they only took 2400mAh. My ep4200 matched peaked at 3600mAh. So with this discharger if I cycle it by charging it at .5 amps and discharging it will the capacity and voltage/power go up? Will it make a big difference if I get the Novak Smart tray? I really dont want to spend alot because Im getting a lipo around the holidays.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

If you are charging at only .5 amps no you will not increase voltage. You usually get one or the other. Charge at higher amps and get more voltage, but less runtime. Its up to you to figure out where you want the median to be in the whole deal.

With my 4200+ I charge at 6A but I know people who do 5 and 5.5A. Make sure you dont have a cell dead that could be causing your issue. I had that problem also but mine would only take 2000 out of 4200.

Plus 3300s are pretty old.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by K_King
If you are charging at only .5 amps no you will not increase voltage. You usually get one or the other. Charge at higher amps and get more voltage, but less runtime. Its up to you to figure out where you want the median to be in the whole deal.

With my 4200+ I charge at 6A but I know people who do 5 and 5.5A. Make sure you dont have a cell dead that could be causing your issue. I had that problem also but mine would only take 2000 out of 4200.

Plus 3300s are pretty old.
I meant I normally charge my nimh at 4 amps, but when I charge them to put them on the discharger, shouldnt you do it at a low amp rate or will it help equalize the batteries at all?

I dount all of my batteries had 1 dead cell. I got my ep4200 from a sponsored racer who only charged his batteroies at 4 amps.

Will I see a gain of performance if I use the 30 amp discharger or do I need to Novak Smart tray I see performance gain? These batteries have around 40 runs on them. How much more capacity do you think it will add if I discharge them 10-20 times?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

A 3300 cell will store around 3300......hence their name. Charging at a lower rate will help with false peaking issues (I dont know what charger you use). Does that Integy discharge EACH cell? Thats the best way to do it to make sure each has been brought down to a certain level. I used to bring mine down to .90v per cell.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The 30 amp indi is good for quickly discharging packs, and the 30 amp rate is a little hard on the cells but does seem to condition them to dump faster.

The indi discharger does only 6 cells, and all at once so a sideXside is treated the same as a stick pack. Discharging the cells individually will probably give you the better runtime your seeking as they'll be equalized which the indi can't do.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

A 3300 cell will store around 3300......hence their name. Charging at a lower rate will help with false peaking issues (I dont know what charger you use). Does that Integy discharge EACH cell? Thats the best way to do it to make sure each has been brought down to a certain level. I used to bring mine down to .90v per cell.
I have the Duratrax Onyx 230. CHarges up to 7 amps, shows voltage and mAh. It just discharges the battery as a whole. Does this discharger bring the battery down to 5.4 volts (.9 per cell?)

Originally Posted by RC Dad
The 30 amp indi is good for quickly discharging packs, and the 30 amp rate is a little hard on the cells but does seem to condition them to dump faster.

The indi discharger does only 6 cells, and all at once so a sideXside is treated the same as a stick pack. Discharging the cells individually will probably give you the better runtime your seeking as they'll be equalized which the indi can't do.

Well that is kinda the opposite of what I wanted.....them dumping faster. So with the discharger I have now it wont condition the batteries so they can hold my capacity and voltage? The reason I dont want to get the Smart Tray is because I am getting the Orion 3800 lipo around the holidays but I still will use my current batteries. I can get a Novak smart tray for $27 shipped but I will only get it if this discharger is a BAD thing by dumping faster and being hard on the cells.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Here's some good tips:

Higher charger = more punch less runtime
Higher discharge more punch less runtime

opposite is also true. Think about it, if you are cramming amps into the battery at a higher rate vs a slower, prolonged rate, you would get more punch.

So if you are only concerned about run time and not punch (hope you dont run stock) then charge at like a 4A and discharge at a 5-10A.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Here's some good tips:

Higher charger = more punch less runtime
Higher discharge more punch less runtime

opposite is also true. Think about it, if you are cramming amps into the battery at a higher rate vs a slower, prolonged rate, you would get more punch.

So if you are only concerned about run time and not punch (hope you dont run stock) then charge at like a 4A and discharge at a 5-10A.
Doesnt this discharger discharge until .9 volts per cell or 5.4 volts? Wouldnt being on a discharger be better than no discharger at all? LOL, I run stock. I just moved up to stock truck amateur so I dont need every bit of speed. My charger doesnt discharge.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

If you want stock you want more punch.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

If you want stock you want more punch.
What is punch if it dumps at the end of the race? I have only been to ocrc 3 times, twice racing so I need to get better rather than have something more powerful.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

When I needed to bring Nimh batteries to life I`d charge them at .5 Amps , then discharge with the Indi 30 , then Novak Smart Tray . The amount of cycles depended on the condition of the batteries . This brought the packs back to full max for run time and increased the voltage for punch .
Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
When I needed to bring Nimh batteries to life I`d charge them at .5 Amps , then discharge with the Indi 30 , then Novak Smart Tray . The amount of cycles depended on the condition of the batteries . This brought the packs back to full max for run time and increased the voltage for punch .
Ditto - Like Briguy says, your batteries need to be cycled, or reconditioned, to get the performance and run time out of them that you are looking for. Cycle them by charging them, then use the indi discharger, then tray them on a smart tray. The end result will be a pack that will take more than 2400 mah to fill, thus increasing the runtime like you are hoping.
To clarify the difference between your indi discharger and a smart tray: The goal is to discharge so each individual cell has .9 volts remaining. The indi 0-30 discharges the WHOLE pack to 5.4 volts. (6 x .9). The problem is that over time, the cells get out of balance because it can't do individual cells. Some cells may be losing too much energy while others may still have way more than .9 volts. When you have a few cells with more energy left in them, you will peak sooner when charging and that is why you are only getting 2400 mah into them. If you checked each individual cell, some would be fully charged and some wouldn't be.
This is where the smart tray is very neccessary. The smart tray discharges each cell individually until each cell has exactly .9 volts. It makes sure that before you charge, each cell starts at the same point.
When you pack has been unequal for a period of time, it takes a few cycles to retrain it.
So, find a good deal on a smart tray, gently charge, use the Indi 0-30 to discharge the pack and train it to discharge at a good rate, then equalize each cell on the smart tray. Repeat as neccessary and keep checking the mah to recharge and watch the battery temps and avoid overheating.
Again, by doing this, you will train the pack to get the performance you want and also increase run time.
Good luck!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jkas10
Ditto - Like Briguy says, your batteries need to be cycled, or reconditioned, to get the performance and run time out of them that you are looking for. Cycle them by charging them, then use the indi discharger, then tray them on a smart tray. The end result will be a pack that will take more than 2400 mah to fill, thus increasing the runtime like you are hoping.
To clarify the difference between your indi discharger and a smart tray: The goal is to discharge so each individual cell has .9 volts remaining. The indi 0-30 discharges the WHOLE pack to 5.4 volts. (6 x .9). The problem is that over time, the cells get out of balance because it can't do individual cells. Some cells may be losing too much energy while others may still have way more than .9 volts. When you have a few cells with more energy left in them, you will peak sooner when charging and that is why you are only getting 2400 mah into them. If you checked each individual cell, some would be fully charged and some wouldn't be.
This is where the smart tray is very neccessary. The smart tray discharges each cell individually until each cell has exactly .9 volts. It makes sure that before you charge, each cell starts at the same point.
When you pack has been unequal for a period of time, it takes a few cycles to retrain it.
So, find a good deal on a smart tray, gently charge, use the Indi 0-30 to discharge the pack and train it to discharge at a good rate, then equalize each cell on the smart tray. Repeat as neccessary and keep checking the mah to recharge and watch the battery temps and avoid overheating.
Again, by doing this, you will train the pack to get the performance you want and also increase run time.
Good luck!

ok, great!!! This is what I needed. The reason I am weary about the Smart tray is because I am only gonna go out to the track a couple more times before I go lipo but if this will be better in the long run I will get it.

So even if the Integy 30 amp discharger doesnt discharge each cell, wouldnt it at least help the battery a bit?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

The indi 0-30 will help a little bit but it won't get your batteries to perform the way you want them to. You will need some type of equalizing tray (Novak Smart Tray isn't the only brand - although most consider it the best) in order to get your packs back into shape.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

jkas10, YGPM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.