Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default DX3 or DX3R ???? help pls

I am completely undecided as to which way to go

Just the DX3 route.. I have a 1 month old one I can purchase for 95 bucks

OR

get a DX3R new through a friend for 265 shipped..

I am new to racing. The track I will be on is 200x95 feet.

please.. any insight would be great. I'm not sure if I should save my money for other things or if the DX3R is a must have.

also I will not need any more than 4 memory in the foreseeable future..

Thank You!

Jon
jman37
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jman37
Find More Posts by jman37
Add jman37 to Your Buddy List
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well i think both are nice radios, either one you wont be disappointed.

I currently use the DX3 and like the features it has, when or if I need to use them. Sure its a little basic in terms of graphic display when compared to the DX3R but look at the price differences you're talking about. I wouldnt be paying the extra $$ just to get the DX3R if it were me making the decision.

The DSM2.0 in the DX3R is probably the biggest selling point for me, but if you're not into competitive racing or are only just starting out aRe you really going to notice the difference between a radio that sends 2-3 times as many individual steps (finer resolution for throttle/steering etc) or one that doesnt?

Go the DX3 route, upgrade in 12-18mths time when you're used to racing and understand more the differences in features between transmitters and can say with confidence "I want a radio that gives me feature xx".

-Mark
Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

DX3 (or is it DX3.0) is a simple radio with some basic functions. I don't like the plastic casing quality somehow, although I've been using other FM transmitters in the same casing - they are ok. Maybe its the gray color that looks cheap

DX3R has almost all the functions you'll ever need + 10. DSM2 is great and the size/weight of the transmitter is another big advatage. Doing 60-minute main finals and practicing on VRC really kills your wrist when you have to hold a heavy transmitter (3PK etc).

Its often said to buy as good and as expensive radio gear as you can afford! Ok, if you are doing only "backyard bashing" then DX3 is ok

BTW - the new DX3S does not support DSM2, but has telemetry.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

dx3 R, without a doubt.

The dx3 works flawlessly, but has no exponential function... And you'll need it one day or another. In fact you may well already need it , but haven't realized yet.

(there's a difference between the dx3 and the dx3.0, though. The dx3.0 has an exponential function. The dx3 has not.)