1/12 scale axle trouble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 scale axle trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 01:59 PM

Default 1/12 scale axle trouble

This weekend I began building my new Trinity Switchblade 2002 edition, and I have been having a weird problem with the rear axle. When I put the bearing into the plastic oval piece, and place both over the axle, it spins fine and freely. However, if I then put the plastic oval piece into the right side aluminum pod bulkhead, and put the axle through, it does not spin nearly as well, and has some binding/rubbing. I thought that maybe the plastic piece holding the bearing was being squeezed by the bulkhead, and so I shaved a lot of material off of the plastic, but the problem continues. I never had this issue with the IRS pods on my 12L3, so any ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: 1/12 scale axle trouble

Originally posted by 2Tenths
This weekend I began building my new Trinity Switchblade 2002 edition, and I have been having a weird problem with the rear axle. When I put the bearing into the plastic oval piece, and place both over the axle, it spins fine and freely. However, if I then put the plastic oval piece into the right side aluminum pod bulkhead, and put the axle through, it does not spin nearly as well, and has some binding/rubbing. I thought that maybe the plastic piece holding the bearing was being squeezed by the bulkhead, and so I shaved a lot of material off of the plastic, but the problem continues. I never had this issue with the IRS pods on my 12L3, so any ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated.
A 3/8" reamer is what you need. Put both ride height adjusters into the assembled pod and run the reamer thru from one side to the other. This will enlarge the holes slightly and align them. You're right about the IRS bulkheads, they are very high quality.

D.P.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the idea, but where can I find a reamer long enough to do that? I have the Associated one, but that wouldn't be nearly long enough to reach across the pod.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

2tenths,

Trinity might still sell one, the one he is taking about doesn't have a taper to it. It is straight and fits across the pod. Talk to Debbie about ordering one. If your really carefull you can do each individually but dpowell's suggestion is best.

Steve C
Fellow Raincity Racer
Old 09-28-2003, 09:34 PM

Thanks Steve. Because I don't have the right reamer, I used the AE one to take out some center material on the one bad ride-height spacer plastic bearing-holder thing, and it helped the problem a little. I also tried aligning the rear bulkheads. However, the problem of binding also occurs when only the right bulkhead is used (pulled out of the car), indicating that the problem is not only the bearing alignment of the rear axle. It's not really a big deal; it's just that my 12L3 is freer. I sure hope people show up on Fridays or Saturdays for 12th scale at Rain (not just Wednesdays like last year).
-Sam
Old 09-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

try sanding the outsides of the ride height adjusters. they are a very tight fit and the crush slightly when you press them in. Apparently this is enough to bind up the bearing.

This also makes if easier to install and remove them.

It will also help with alignment of the bearings. the reamer idea is a good one and I've seen people do that.

Sands
Old 09-29-2003, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LIGHTLY sand the edges of each ride height adj. Then assemble the rear pod leaving all the screws slightly loose, press in the ride height adjusters and the bearings, then slide the axle through the bearings. Tighten down the pod plate screws in an x-pattern, remove the axle and bearings, then ream out the ride height adjusters. By doing it this way you ensure that everything is properly aligned.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
LIGHTLY sand the edges of each ride height adj. Then assemble the rear pod leaving all the screws slightly loose, press in the ride height adjusters and the bearings, then slide the axle through the bearings. Tighten down the pod plate screws in an x-pattern, remove the axle and bearings, then ream out the ride height adjusters. By doing it this way you ensure that everything is properly aligned.
Fully agree... Also tighten the screws down a little at a time, not all at once or you could still tweak the pod alingment.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Fike
Fully agree... Also tighten the screws down a little at a time, not all at once or you could still tweak the pod alingment.
Good call Fike. The devil's in the details, especially with a trinity car.