Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
The poor mans internet dynamometer >

The poor mans internet dynamometer

The poor mans internet dynamometer

Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default The poor mans internet dynamometer

So, i've been interested in building a dyno for a while to test engines, but it always seemed too complicated, and it seemed that the results would vary too much from test to test, person to person.

Recently I came up with an idea. What if you attached an electric motor shunted with a power resistor directly to a nitro motor, and measured the time it would take to rev up to a certain RPM.

As long as the motor is the same model in all tests, and the resistance is the same in all tests, it seems that this would be a very east test to measure relative performance from motor to motor. Also, once we had baseline measurements, we could guestimate actual HP much the same way manufacturers do.

Thoughts?
Mark
Old 10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mud99
So, i've been interested in building a dyno for a while to test engines, but it always seemed too complicated, and it seemed that the results would vary too much from test to test, person to person.

Recently I came up with an idea. What if you attached an electric motor shunted with a power resistor directly to a nitro motor, and measured the time it would take to rev up to a certain RPM.

As long as the motor is the same model in all tests, and the resistance is the same in all tests, it seems that this would be a very east test to measure relative performance from motor to motor. Also, once we had baseline measurements, we could guestimate actual HP much the same way manufacturers do.

Thoughts?
Mark
you mean something like this.. lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVnPWjqXiA
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jpalessi
you mean something like this.. lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVnPWjqXiA
That would be complicated...
Originally Posted by mud99
seemed too complicated
It might work for giving a crude horsepower result but without the curve it’s hard to tell how well an engine would actually perform at the track though. It would be interesting to see the results nonetheless.