Wiki Posts
Search

IFMAR 2008 Electric Worlds- Thailand

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I know! Who cares about the US!! 12th scale showed they cant cut it on asphalt, leave the black stuff to the real quick guys. Has TC practice started yet? I saw a lap sheet with TC drivers names on it earlier in the week but redrc hasn't had an update since naoto was crowned. I'm guessing timed practice starts tomorrow
lol you don't want to know how many times I have hit "refresh" tonight on both the worlds page and redrc looking for some TC results and nothing at all yet! Cmon now that the real race is starting lets get some info! Who's fast so far? Are they allowed to use lipo?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

relax day today.....

track prep and practice tomoz

congrats Juho, legend man!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

There's a fresh update on hpi.tv, short interview with Andy Moore and it shows the only bit of drama from the 1/12th A mains...more to come later today.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

12th scale drama? ... ha ha ha

A spin out by Reinhard, was collected by the leader and then Juho ran into the leader ... race incident.

And yes I was there ... about 5 feet away from where it happened
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Pauly, cyrul, blackstock, toso, baker, burch you call that lack of skills. WOW
Rick is not saying he personally thinks US drivers SUCK...he clearly states that it's their SPONSORS who think US drivers are not good enough to spend money on them and have them go to the worlds. Huge difference!!!

Second, at the 2006 Worlds, Rick and Paul Lemeux finished in the A-Main I think Rick was 10th, and Paul was 3rd overall. So US drivers are good, and yes we do have podium finishers at the Worlds.

It would be foolish to think Masami sucks because he's never won a TC Worlds? He's always in the hunt for top 3, but has never won...it doesn't mean he sucks.

Paul and Rick did great at last Worlds, and I'm sure will do well again this year.

Last edited by yyhayyim; 11-12-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

i watched some of the mains videos and Natos car doesn't look that great to me in the corner. the car just looks like its sliding around and hes able to drive the car that way and was obviously a fast setup. juho's car looks much better and looked more planted carrying speed through the corner.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MACHFIVE
i watched some of the mains videos and Natos car doesn't look that great to me in the corner. the car just looks like its sliding around and hes able to drive the car that way and was obviously a fast setup. juho's car looks much better and looked more planted carrying speed through the corner.
that is exactly what i saw when i watched the A-mains video
Old 11-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Cmon now that the real race is starting lets get some info! Who's fast so far? Are they allowed to use lipo?
The real race is already over, now bring on the skinny 4wd buggies!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Rick is not saying he personally thinks US drivers SUCK...he clearly states that it's their SPONSORS who think US drivers are not good enough to spend money on them and have them go to the worlds.

Second, at the 2006 Worlds, Rick and Paul Lemeux finished in the A-Main I think Rick was 10th, and Paul was 3rd overall. So US drivers are good, and yes we do have podium finishers at the Worlds.

It would be foolish to think Masami sucks because he's never won a TC Worlds? He's always in the hunt for top 3, but has never won...it doesn't mean he sucks.

Paul and Rick did great at last Worlds, and I'm sure will do well again this year.
What he said!!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Pauly, cyrul, blackstock, toso, baker, burch you call that lack of skills. WOW
Pauly=AT WORLDS
Cyrul=FOCUSING ON PRODUCTION OF NEW SEDAN
Blackstock=WHO KNOWS WHY AE DIDN'T SEND HIM
Toso=DOES HE EVEN HAVE A CHASSIS SPONSOR
Baker=SAME AS TOSO
Burch=WHO KNOW WHY HE DIDN'T ATTEND
Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Pauly=AT WORLDS
Cyrul=FOCUSING ON PRODUCTION OF NEW SEDAN
Blackstock=WHO KNOWS WHY AE DIDN'T SEND HIM
Toso=DOES HE EVEN HAVE A CHASSIS SPONSOR
Baker=SAME AS TOSO
Burch=WHO KNOW WHY HE DIDN'T ATTEND
Toso is busy whooping Nitro competition w/ Kyosho and probably doesn't have time for electric this time around:http://www.redrc.net/

He just won 1/10 Nitro sedan Latin America Cup w/ Kyosho and did very well in 1/8th as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Typical responce from Rick... lol... I looked at the top 3 and two of the guys I battled with for the win at the IIC.... I also remember Rick being crushed at the Asphalt Nats during the summer in 1/12 by some 7-8 seconds.... But, the rest of us don't have skills so that's why we stayed home and Rick went to the WC to keep the attendance up. Unfortunetly, WC's are another r/c car race with a little more prestige. I've missed the 1/8 in Argentina for my daughter being born and now for business reasons. There will be another one in 2 years and I do plan on being at that one for sure!!

The US drivers have more than enough skill but we are at a distinct disadvantage for the WC.... 5cell TC where it's mainly 6-cell or Lipo here. Mainly foam tires (major events) vs rubber tires. 1/12 on asphalt vs. carpet... We don't race with the right equipment in the right conditions to have the knowledge to get everything to the limit as you need to for a WC. Until we race rubber tires year round and run 5-cells, for TC and run more 1/12 races on asphalt (majors) we will continue to be behind.

Ralphy was supposed to attend but his mother has been ill so he cancelled his trip to stay home. I hope all is well for him back in TX....
Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM
The Evicerator

On road racing sure is in a sad state of affairs over here in the US...and I think there are a number of factors involved in it.

I think going off of what Rick said... I don't believe the pool of drivers here in the US is any less talented than those elsewhere in the world... it's simply that we don't have the sheer amount of experience and events that occur over in Europe/Asia. Let me explain a little bit:

One factor is that our on road scene is mostly dominated by carpet racing on small track with foam tires. Modified racing on this surface is basically infinite traction + infinite horsepower and the fact of the matter is that there aren't too many people who can comfortably cope with these two factors. Those that can have generally been doing it for a LONG time.

This leads to a situation where most people would rather opt to run stock or super stock type classes. If you don't have a pool of people moving up to run modified, you're not going to get any new modified talent.

Modified is not easy. It's not easy to deal with dominating in one class and steping up and floundering in another.

One more factor is that the rest of the world races on rubber tires, whether it be on asphalt or carpet...and we simply do not support this fact with our races here in the US. How many rubber tire oriented races do we have a year? 3? 4? Reedy Race, ROAR asphalt nationals, Novak Race, IIC?

This number is simply not enough to allow racers to reach the level of proficiency that our counterparts in other parts of the world have attained.

They race each other regularly week in, week out at the highest levels, and somehow our companies, manufacturers, and racers, think that we can throw down a couple times a year and be competitive as a whole??

Another part of this can be traced back to the general American attitude of entitlement: Everyone deserves to be a winner... that's why we see 27 different classes at races 13.5 novice, 13.5 sportsman, 13.5 expert, 13.5 pro, etc etc etc. The classes and the competition becomes diluted and at the end of the day everyone is worse off because people can't just suck it up and accept the fact that someone beat them on a given day, or worse yet, someone might actually be better at them then something.

So, to sum up: I think we do have talent and ability here in the US, it's just up to the racing community to sort itself out in such a way that we offer events and opportunities for people to grow and expand into modified racing.

This means the manufactures need to step up and start promoting events.

This means that racers need to step up and race one another, instead of "hiding" in a lower class in an effort to win a trophy.

Everyone needs to suck up their pride and realize that no matter how good you are, there will probably be someone out there better than you... and this isn't a reason to give up, but a reason to try even harder to come back and beat them next time!

We need to start racing on on asphalt if we want to compete with racers from around the world.

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Add three more. LACK OF SKILLS.Sure some will get mad at this and say if the top US guys deserve to be here. The fact is their sponsors don't think they are good enough.

Last edited by Steve Weiss; 11-12-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Amen Scuba!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Is there another source to see the videos? The Redrc link for some reason doesn't show it. What about that HPI TV site?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.