Wiki Posts
Search

Charging problem with MuchMore charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Charging problem with MuchMore charger

Hello,

I have the Muchmore charger and put in 4.5A to charge my NiMh (2packs of 4 cells in parrallel), and it can never ramp up to 4.5A, and charges only at 4.1A.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bboy
Hello,

I have the Muchmore charger and put in 4.5A to charge my NiMh (2packs of 4 cells in parrallel), and it can never ramp up to 4.5A, and charges only at 4.1A.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks!
Is it the cell master , if yes are you using it on a power suply or 12 volt battery.
If you running on 12v batt , check if the 12v is fully charged cause i have had this probleme .
Does it charge at 4.1 during all the charge or does it do funny things ?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bboy
2packs of 4 cells in parrallel
Please explain this. NiMH should only be charged in series, and only one pack at a time.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

I have the silent charger which plugs directly to the wall. So there shouldn't be a problem with the powersource.

As for the NiMh, I put 3 packs of 4 cells in series (I connect them with wires, neg to positve), and charge all 12 cells the same time since the charger handles up to 14 cells.

I notice it never goes all the way to 4.1A, and after a while, goes to 2.3A or something.

Is everything ok? I have the temp probe on the cells and it does not kickoff any alarms for high temp...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
Please explain this. NiMH should only be charged in series, and only one pack at a time.
Yes, sorry, in series, my bad.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It's because you've reached the maximum wattage of the built-in power supply. Because the voltage is so high, the amperage must be reduced to keep within the power supplies rated wattage...

Watts = Amps x Volts

I would also imagine that as the cell voltage rises, the charge amperage might start to fall. Or perhaps the charger is smart enough to know that if it charges 12 Nimh cells in series, the power supply can only deliver 4.1a when they hit their peak voltage.

I'm guessing it's the later situation.

***edit: The max charge wattage for the AC/DC Silent Charger is 60watts. This means at 4.1amps, it can only support a peak voltage of 14.63v. If you had 14 cells, you would only be able to charge at about 3.6amps.

If you want to charge at a higher amperage, you must lower the cell count...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

i remember having the same problem with another charger and i was charging a 12volt batt from the 240 power source and i set the amp at 5amp and it will on ly charge at 4.5 then 2 hours later 4 amp then 2 hours later 3.5 and on and on ....
Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Oh.. so even though the charger can do it, if the power supply cannot, it is still a problem ... too bad. I was so excited to get the MM because I was hoping to charge 12 cells in series...

Thanks!