Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gurneyflap
Let me introduce you my TYRRELL 2012 :
That is really cool!!! Now if only the real full scale F1 would go back to the ORIGINAL way that F1 was concieved and ruled back in the day, we would see cars like this, and many more interesting designs and innovative thinking!!
I would prefer that over today's cars that are way too much alike. The FIA has killed innovative design in modern F1 under the guise of cost control and supposedly making the racing closer and more exciting for the slack-jawed, mouthbreather type with the attention span of a gnat! I say dump the DRS, the "degradeable" tires, flat bottom cars with a wooden plank on the bottom, and bring back innovative design, fresh new ideas, and races that aren't won by when or how often you make a pit stop. In the "golden era" of F1, the races went non-stop from start to finish; if you made a pit stop it was only because you had a problem with your car, not to use it as strategy! Those were real races that TRUE F1 fans enjoyed and appreciated! They didn't need artificial means to make the racing more "exciting"! Leave that crap to NASCAR!!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
That is really cool!!! Now if only the real full scale F1 would go back to the ORIGINAL way that F1 was concieved and ruled back in the day, we would see cars like this, and many more interesting designs and innovative thinking!!
I would prefer that over today's cars that are way too much alike. The FIA has killed innovative design in modern F1 under the guise of cost control and supposedly making the racing closer and more exciting for the slack-jawed, mouthbreather type with the attention span of a gnat! I say dump the DRS, the "degradeable" tires, flat bottom cars with a wooden plank on the bottom, and bring back innovative design, fresh new ideas, and races that aren't won by when or how often you make a pit stop. In the "golden era" of F1, the races went non-stop from start to finish; if you made a pit stop it was only because you had a problem with your car, not to use it as strategy! Those were real races that TRUE F1 fans enjoyed and appreciated! They didn't need artificial means to make the racing more "exciting"! Leave that crap to NASCAR!!
Speaking of slack-jawed mouthbreathers...
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Not to side track this thread, but all current professional racing series are about making money for the manufacturers or sponsors. What wins on Sunday sells on Monday.

Strategy is essential to racing as are the drivers. Pit stops matter, tires matter, car setup matters, and setting up the driver in front of you to pass him at the right spot, matters. That is all strategy. If there was no strategy in racing it would be a demo-derby at 200mph. The drivers living at the end of the race are the winners? Be realistic.

The Tyrell P34 was a cool car, and it kind of worked, but it was an overly complicated nightmare, and the front end required double the parts for everything. In the two years of the cars history it only won one race, and had DNF's over half the races it was in. Innovation and design isn't always the fastest, or the most appealing.

I love vintage F1, as well as other vintage racing cars, but I highly doubt that F1 would survive as a multi-billion dollar industry if they went back to ass-backwards v12 engines, four speed gear boxes, and a death-trap of a cockpit.

We have the cars now because that's where the technology and times have taken us. Take for instance NASCAR. They have been losing fans for a few years now. They have also been under fire by the media, the fans, and the auto industry for not modernizing the CoT more than it could have been. Finally, after almost sixty years since the first automotive electronic fuel injection was produced, we now have it in NASCAR. Some don't like it, some do, but that's where the industry is going, and NASCAR is a for-profit industry, and like others, they are going to do what they need to do in order to make money.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Autocratic
Not to side track this thread, but all current professional racing series are about making money for the manufacturers or sponsors. What wins on Sunday sells on Monday.

Strategy is essential to racing as are the drivers. Pit stops matter, tires matter, car setup matters, and setting up the driver in front of you to pass him at the right spot, matters. That is all strategy. If there was no strategy in racing it would be a demo-derby at 200mph. The drivers living at the end of the race are the winners? Be realistic.

The Tyrell P34 was a cool car, and it kind of worked, but it was an overly complicated nightmare, and the front end required double the parts for everything. In the two years of the cars history it only won one race, and had DNF's over half the races it was in. Innovation and design isn't always the fastest, or the most appealing.

I love vintage F1, as well as other vintage racing cars, but I highly doubt that F1 would survive as a multi-billion dollar industry if they went back to ass-backwards v12 engines, four speed gear boxes, and a death-trap of a cockpit.

We have the cars now because that's where the technology and times have taken us. Take for instance NASCAR. They have been losing fans for a few years now. They have also been under fire by the media, the fans, and the auto industry for not modernizing the CoT more than it could have been. Finally, after almost sixty years since the first automotive electronic fuel injection was produced, we now have it in NASCAR. Some don't like it, some do, but that's where the industry is going, and NASCAR is a for-profit industry, and like others, they are going to do what they need to do in order to make money.
Autocratic, you basically make a good point. And yes, the Tyrrell P34 was not a success, nor were many of the different designs tried during that era; but at least they had the freedom to try them, to be different, not all the cars looked alike, and I for one found that fascinating! Obviously, Colin Chapman(my hero), and Gordon Murray, and Jim Hall, would not be allowed to do their thing in today's racing world, which I find unfortunate, as those three played a major role in advancing racing car, and by extension, street car design.

Also, back in the day, there was still strategy involved in each race. Even though they didn't have the mandated pit stops, they still had to manage their tires, fuel consumption, car set-up, and setting up to pass the other car on the track. They just didn't need to rely on "artificial means" to spice up the action in a race. And yes, you are right, the cars and tracks were much more dangerous back then; too many great drivers lost their lives. I'm not suggesting we turn the cars back to that dated technology; but I would like to see some innovative thinking allowed with regards to overall car design and engine design. It's quite obvious that Adrian Newey would love to see that happen too. Just imagine what he could come up with if he were allowed a little more freedom!

OK, rant is over, I've said my piece......moving on.................
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In our club formula one class we have open rules that allow every F1 car to compete. Two of the guys that race with me own a F113 and a Corally F1 SL. These cars have a lot of potential because of their front axle and/or tire size. On the last race hardly I could defend the lead against the Corally F1 SL, but it was real close (even though I could better my performance going three laps more in the same amount of time). The F113 is also very fast. The guy let me drove it afterwards and I was at least one second faster per lap than with my F104v2.

I expect these guys to become better every race, so I have to be better also. I was looking to increase the downforce for a better cornering performance and added some (easy removable) aerodynamic devices. Does anybody have some experience in doing so or similar?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Front wing additions look ok. Probably help out high speed cornering well. The "middle" buggy wing addition is probably not that beneficial, and it kills your actual rear wing and any benefit it would provide, other than aesthetics.

I don't know what motor class you're allowed to run, but too much downforce can hurt the cars performance.

You're also on foams, and probably have more traction that you know what to do with. In almost any form of racing, improving your corner speed is going to be the best thing to drop your overall lap times. The Pro2 is a fast car, so I'd look at chassis adjustment before doing any radical aero work.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
In our club formula one class we have open rules that allow every F1 car to compete. Two of the guys that race with me own a F113 and a Corally F1 SL. These cars have a lot of potential because of their front axle and/or tire size. On the last race hardly I could defend the lead against the Corally F1 SL, but it was real close (even though I could better my performance going three laps more in the same amount of time). The F113 is also very fast. The guy let me drove it afterwards and I was at least one second faster per lap than with my F104v2.

I expect these guys to become better every race, so I have to be better also. I was looking to increase the downforce for a better cornering performance and added some (easy removable) aerodynamic devices. Does anybody have some experience in doing so or similar?

I like the fact that your club is more relaxed on the rules but I gotta say if I was running there that I would definitely have a problem with that rear wing you put on. The front one isn't very noticeable but the rear one is a bit of an eyesore, just my opinion of course. Increasing the height or angle of the stock rear one or adding a second deck underneath would look a lot better.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Make a rear diffuser. A big one that is close to the ground. I had one on my F103 and it worked on carpet.

The rear wing is pretty fugly..lol

You might also want to put an F103 front end on the car and try to find indy car wheels. Tamiya # 50532 You can use pan car/wgt size donuts on that rim. It's a lot bigger diameter and helps a lot with the cornerspeed.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50532
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big-al
back in 67

Wow AL, I will say that you have made this build look real , The Best I have ever seen!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Make a rear diffuser. A big one that is close to the ground. I had one on my F103 and it worked on carpet.

The rear wing is pretty fugly..lol

You might also want to put an F103 front end on the car and try to find indy car wheels. Tamiya # 50532 You can use pan car/wgt size donuts on that rim. It's a lot bigger diameter and helps a lot with the cornerspeed.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50532
Thanks for all the input! I guess I was a little too aggressive in my thinking, but after the Corally guy just put his Corally F1 body on his WGT at the last race I was a little on the side
But you are right the huge middle wing looks wrong. I will try to add some elements on the rear wing in the next step and win the upcoming race in style

I don't know why, but I couldn't find any donuts in the german shops. I could also fit normal WGT fronttyres on the F104v2, but this will narrow the front around 2-4mm. Will this have a negative impact on cornering?

The car runs on a big bumpy lowgrip unprepared outdoor asphalt track. So I am using soft springs in front everything else is in box setup mode. As tyres i use Tamiya B foams in front and A's at the rear axle. The balance is good and the car fast. I am just looking for more overall grip. The car is powered with 17.5t so additional drag caused by downforce is no problem. If it becomes one I will tell my LRP Flow to boost it up.

Last edited by wtcc; 06-28-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Tech Adept

It must be efficient, but it spoil the beauty of the Ferrari.
You could have stuck the big on the sides of the rear spoiler.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
Wow AL, I will say that you have made this build look real , The Best I have ever seen!
firestone anyones?????????

Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

firestone anyones?????????

Nice!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

vs 2.0

Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Thumbs up

vs 2.0
That is way cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.