Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2848Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a F103GT, the Porsche, back in 2001 or 2002 and it used the same wheels as the F103 F1. The main difference if I remember correctly was the front bumper and body mounts.

Perhaps when they came out with the Audi and Courage cars they changed to hexes.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Deltawing

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
This Deltawing critter is cool. There are several versions I found. Is the real one competitive or just a test bed?

It's a competiteve car and always has been, they just didn't have a class for it and artificially controlled it's performance. Finished in the top 5 at the Petit in ATL last fall. I understand it was handicapped in a number of ways..

Running at Sebring this weekend. But I think they lost the designer and other key players so may have work to do!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I will be doing the decals for these, not sure when, as I have a mountain of projects going right now.
I will have to do the typical research to make them accurate.
Yes DDrive is offline, I think they basically cater to home market only these days.
I am sure if this really takes off there will be variations of this first body.
For anyone that is interested , I will put together kits to build these cars, no sense in buying a kit and getting body and wheels you will never use. Let me work up the numbers, I know I have a handful of FRP top decks, I will order up the lower decks, and I have a bunch of the plastic parts already along with hop ups. I was thinking I would get stuck with a bunch of old parts, but it looks like there might be a market for them.

Looking forward to it, Shadow!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with decal wise, and the kits you plan on offering!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

F103GT would actually take a touring car body with supplied body post. The guy that bought my F103GT chassis-only kit actually put a Nascar body on it and ran oval LOL.

F103LM was direct fit for Le-Man bodies like Toyota GT-One, Audi R8, and Porsche GT-1.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...d=36100&page=3
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

They actually JUST released the poop version of the delta wing. Im sorry coupe version. The first variant was more accurate.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
They actually JUST released the poop version of the delta wing. Im sorry coupe version. The first variant was more accurate.

I much prefer the open cockpit version over this!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I much prefer the open cockpit version over this!
So does everyone but unfortunately the powers that be have decreed that open cockpit cars won't be legal from 2014.

At Sebring it is running a new motor (Mazda based Elan power instead of Nissan) and new tyres (Bridgestone instead of Michelin) as well as having lost Ben Bowlby (the brains behind the whole DW thing).

The coupe version also has a new tub design rather than being based on the Aston Martin tub
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE

Wow, and I thought the Daytona Prototypes were ugly. Need a Mr. Yuk smilie here.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
We are in process of finishing vinyl kits to cover the wings in different colors. They are pre-cut vinyl decals that will be available for both the Tamiya F104 F60 and MP24 wing sets as well as the F2012 when it becomes available. We will be making them in all of the popular colors for both current and vintage Formula 1 paint schemes. They are solid color vinyl decals for the front and rear wings.

If anyone is interested send me a PM; we are having a Pre-Release SALE to get the product out there and in the hands of the users. We are taking requests as well for alternate colors for the custom liveries out there too; if we have your color in stock there will be no additional handling fees or charges.

I’ll post pictures soon and they are currently only $3 a piece during the sale!
Bringing this back and a brief product review for you guys:

After getting back into rc and F1, I purchased a used F1 that the previous owner has painted the wing. It was obviously flaking off from impacts. Knowing I wanted to change the livery, and knowing my modeling skills are sub-standard in the painting and vinyls, when I saw Nick's post above, I jumped at the intro offer and ordered 9 sets (I expected to screw them up, and they were a bargan).

There was a bit of a delay in getting them (something about a new baby and all), but they did arrive and Nick threw in an additional set of my choice for the delays. Cool.

Even before they arrive, Nick notified me that the two (F60 and MP) green sets were of different hues, and for me to let him know which I preferred and he would send me another free set. Cool.

The decals are actually peel and stick (I call them die cut) and I washed the wings before applying. On the first set (silver MP) I sprayed the wing and decal with water and a drop of dish soap to be able to slide them into position. This worked as intended and they are still stuck on there.

On the second set (green F60) I got brave and applied directly. They are sticky, but you can carefully remove and reapply if needed. This was my preferred way after doing both sets.

Tips:
1.) If you are anal about color matching wing decals to body paint, I suggest getting the decals first, then matching the paint. Close is ok with me..
2.) When applying, just use your finger tips or a q-tip to press them down. They can crease from thumbnails or tweezer marks, or of handled roughly during removal/re-applying.

Overall, I give Nick and his product an A+.
Good stuff.

Oh yeah, Pictures. I'm the worst at posting them (resizing hurts my head) but I did take some. I sent them to Nick, so he may post them up here.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default VTA Tires on F1 Chassis

[QUOTE=Team Lotus;11929486]Please post pics of finished chassis and body!!! Which chassis are you using? I see you are planning on the VTA wheels and tires; I like that idea as they look more like 60's F1 tires! If you're using the F104 chassis, how are you mounting the VTA wheels? Or are you using the FGX chassis?QUOTE]

I think I have been successful in adapting the VTA wheels and tires to the Tamiya F1 chassis platform. My F104 Pro is in the process of becoming gas (nitro) powered and until I get another one or parts, I mocked the set-up on an F103. I think the pod and the front suspension will just bolt on the 104 chassis so it should be fine...

The rear is a piece of cake, if you have the right pieces, as has been mentioned. The diff and wheel adapter for the F103 GT from Integy or 3 Racing goes right on and I have one marked "+2" as in mm wider, i think. and I'm right at 190mm wide.

The front comes out around 185mm with the 104 front and wide hex spacers on FGX hubs. That's probably close enough but the axle nuts barely threaded on, requiring special wheel nuts. I like the look of the F103 front end a little better, more "spindely" less aerodynamic than the 104, IMHO, so I used it. With the FGX hubs and 4mm hexes I'm at 188mm. My front end is from 3racing and has adjustable camber as well as caster.

Pix:
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0290.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0292.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0294.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0296%5B1%5D.jpg
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
The Speed Passion chassis have been been preordered, and I will be offering an F1 starter package, hopefully keeping the price around $400, all you would need to bring is a receiver.
I have one of Mannys awesome vintage bodies, I will be painting it up soon, and I am working on doing decals and paintmasks as well
......omg....now i need a 3rd f1 chassis....cant wait to see what you come up with in a vf1 body..........damn this electric stuff is getting out of hand......
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BadSign
Wow, and I thought the Daytona Prototypes were ugly. Need a Mr. Yuk smilie here.
The old DTPs were ugly...I find this year's cars to be quite nice. Especially the Vette!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

FYI: HPI makes 4 different Vintage tires (for people wanting to use them on an F1 car that accepts TC wheels)

- d compound vintage (the ones used in VTA)
- d compound performance with more angled tread pattern
- d compund slicks
- drift slicks (might look good on a shelf queen)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sixace
Bringing this back and a brief product review for you guys:

After getting back into rc and F1, I purchased a used F1 that the previous owner has painted the wing. It was obviously flaking off from impacts. Knowing I wanted to change the livery, and knowing my modeling skills are sub-standard in the painting and vinyls, when I saw Nick's post above, I jumped at the intro offer and ordered 9 sets (I expected to screw them up, and they were a bargan).

There was a bit of a delay in getting them (something about a new baby and all), but they did arrive and Nick threw in an additional set of my choice for the delays. Cool.

Even before they arrive, Nick notified me that the two (F60 and MP) green sets were of different hues, and for me to let him know which I preferred and he would send me another free set. Cool.

The decals are actually peel and stick (I call them die cut) and I washed the wings before applying. On the first set (silver MP) I sprayed the wing and decal with water and a drop of dish soap to be able to slide them into position. This worked as intended and they are still stuck on there.

On the second set (green F60) I got brave and applied directly. They are sticky, but you can carefully remove and reapply if needed. This was my preferred way after doing both sets.

Tips:
1.) If you are anal about color matching wing decals to body paint, I suggest getting the decals first, then matching the paint. Close is ok with me..
2.) When applying, just use your finger tips or a q-tip to press them down. They can crease from thumbnails or tweezer marks, or of handled roughly during removal/re-applying.

Overall, I give Nick and his product an A+.
Good stuff.

Oh yeah, Pictures. I'm the worst at posting them (resizing hurts my head) but I did take some. I sent them to Nick, so he may post them up here.
Thanks for the review! We are happy to make a product that is not just cost effective but easy to use and will enhance the enjoyment of F1!! Web site has been slacking with the store but will be updated today. Colors are hard to reproduce in the photos so they look different from every angle! Here are his pics!
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0093_zps7b6818f2.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0092_zpsbf5c708f.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0090_zps1965bbb1.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11932417]
Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Please post pics of finished chassis and body!!! Which chassis are you using? I see you are planning on the VTA wheels and tires; I like that idea as they look more like 60's F1 tires! If you're using the F104 chassis, how are you mounting the VTA wheels? Or are you using the FGX chassis?QUOTE]

I think I have been successful in adapting the VTA wheels and tires to the Tamiya F1 chassis platform. My F104 Pro is in the process of becoming gas (nitro) powered and until I get another one or parts, I mocked the set-up on an F103. I think the pod and the front suspension will just bolt on the 104 chassis so it should be fine...

The rear is a piece of cake, if you have the right pieces, as has been mentioned. The diff and wheel adapter for the F103 GT from Integy or 3 Racing goes right on and I have one marked "+2" as in mm wider, i think. and I'm right at 190mm wide.

The front comes out around 185mm with the 104 front and wide hex spacers on FGX hubs. That's probably close enough but the axle nuts barely threaded on, requiring special wheel nuts. I like the look of the F103 front end a little better, more "spindely" less aerodynamic than the 104, IMHO, so I used it. With the FGX hubs and 4mm hexes I'm at 188mm. My front end is from 3racing and has adjustable camber as well as caster.

Pix:
Attachment 1043926

Attachment 1043927

Attachment 1043928

Attachment 1043931
Thank you for posting these pics! I agree that the 103 front arms look more like the 60's style than the 104. My question is that you said with the 104 front end that the axle nuts barely thread on and require special nuts. So, with the 103 or the 3 Racing front end is it any better? I would like to use the 103 front arms painted silver to look more real, so should I use the FGX hubs with it? Do they just fit by themselves, or do I have to alter them to work? I guess I need a little more detailed explanation of how to do this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.