Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

I was looking for how much it'd take to transform my f104w to a narrow. Figure for that amount I may as well just get an fgx. What site sells them for the least?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KimBye
A little rant...
It`s 2013 I expect colour pictures and even a step by step build video on the manufacturers web page. Just imagine if your PC, phone or microwave came with equally crappy user manuals.
Because if they did all that, people would just bitch instead about the extra cost of the kits. Go and compare the cost of B&w and Colour photocopying to get an idea of just how much more a full colour manual might cost. It'll add a lot more than $5 to the cost of a kit I'd wager.

BTW my last phone (Motorola) had NO instructions supplied at all - had to look them up on the net. More and more consumer electronics are placing very basic instructions in the box and anything technical or detailed needs to be looked up on the net. In comparison, RC manuals are brilliant.

Lastly i would really like to see all manufacturers switch to Torx screws!
If you are stripping so many screws maybe you need to lay off the elbow grease a little.

As for switching to Torx screws I'd rather be forced to try and use my teeth. My partner owns a Renault and the thing is FULL of Torx screws and its a nightmare to work on, and that's WITH a full compliment of bits and drivers to use.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Phillips screws suck. That is all.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by robk
i second that
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Tech Adept

yes they suck, u r correct sir...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

One thing I learned last month was that Japanese phillips screws (like what comes with most of our cars) are different than our standard. They have was is called JIS screws or "Japanese Industrial Standard." That why we often strip them out using our standard Stanley or Craftsman phillips screwdrivers. I learned this from a motorcycle mechanic.

http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JI...crewdriver+set

What you need is a set of JIS screwdrivers like the above link.

Or, the screwdriver that you can buy from Team Associated, for example, is a JIS. You've probably seen it at the hobbyshop for like $12, and thought, "are they joking?" But, that's why its there. I finally bought one. Haven't stripped a phillips screw since.

Here's the Associated one:

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/1553/
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

"What do you get when you cross the F1 class with the Mini Cooper class?"

Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-redbullf1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have those screwdrivers also. However, I prefer the hex drivers. The hex head screws are much less likely to strip for repeated use. And there is no question which size driver is the one to use while Phillips heads can take the wrong size driver and still work while it slowly gets worn out.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

A little rant...
I have built a 3Racing Sakura FGX, Tamiya F104 V2 and HPI Formula Ten this past two weeks and I`m left with a few questions.
1. Why havent manuals gotten better since the 80`s?
Poor drawings with incredibly tiny writing, Some kits not portioned out in sensible stages, especially the Tamiya kit. You pretty much have to open everthing at once! It`s 2013 I expect colour pictures and even a step by step build video on the manufacturers web page. Just imagine if your PC, phone or microwave came with equally crappy user manuals. And as for Tamiya, what`s up with not supplying the body shell and wing with the kit?
Each to their own. As you can guess most people can happily work through a kit build using the manuals provided. I have had a kit with a full colour manual with lots of extra photos, unfortunately (like pc and phone manuals!) it was included on a CD, meaning you had to build your kit next to your computer, or as in my case as I build my cars on a workbench in the garage meant I had to print out the manual to take it out there with me.

As for Tamiya not including the body in their high end race chassis, for most regular F1 racers we have a preferred body and as they last considerably longer than touring car bodies we usually transfer bodies between cars. Tamiyas modern body selection is the McLaren MP4-25, Ferrari F60 and generic F104 Pro. Due to licensing Tamiya would end up including the F104 Pro shell, which we would all then throw away as it isn't scale enough. Giving the option of being supplied a body we won't use or saving the cost of including a body, we would all choose the kit without the body.

The vast majority of Tamiyas F1 cars come with bodies, the only exceptions are the F104X1 and F104v2, both are expensive high end race chassis aimed at the experienced racer. There are 12 other F104 kits, every one of those includes a body and wings.

2. Quality controll. All over the kits are pretty ok, but why do Tamiya use philips head screws? they strip so easily. Speaking of screws, the steel used in the Sakura FGX screws are sub standard in quality, I have stripped 3 screws and i have used propper RC tools, it`s just soft metal. (their Ti screws on the other hand is great)
Can't say anything about the screws in the HPI and FGX, but Tamiya screws are pretty good if you sue the right size screwdriver as they aren't phillips heads. Having run various Tamiya F1s over 20 years now, having used the correct type of screwdriver I have never had a screw head strip out, although have destroyed plenty of allen head screws.
And why is crucial pieces in plastic? Like the shock rods on the Sakura and the eyelets/screw on the Tamiya/Hpi shocks?
They are in plastic because that's the best material for them. Plastic reduces the unsprung weight, enables ball joints to snap into place, and gives a failure point. If shock ball ends were metal, and they were in the early days of r/c, it would need to be bigger and increasing weight and inertia. Metal ball ends would also mean in an accident it would put the impact load through the shock breaking or bending the shock shaft or breaking the shock mount instead of a plastic ball end popping off the ball or being pulled off the end of the shock shaft.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kb525
I was looking for how much it'd take to transform my f104w to a narrow. Figure for that amount I may as well just get an fgx. What site sells them for the least?
As you've already got an F104W there's not that many parts actually needed. The F parts contains all the front end plastic parts, and even a set of plastic kingpin pivot balls if you don't want to buy the low friction ones. You will need 35mm turnbuckles, 5mm balls for the upper wishbone mounts and the kingpins, but all the small hardware and steering arms are the same as the F104W.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I think terry works for tamiya.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
One thing I learned last month was that Japanese phillips screws (like what comes with most of our cars) are different than our standard. They have was is called JIS screws or "Japanese Industrial Standard." That why we often strip them out using our standard Stanley or Craftsman phillips screwdrivers. I learned this from a motorcycle mechanic.

http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JI...crewdriver+set

What you need is a set of JIS screwdrivers like the above link.

Or, the screwdriver that you can buy from Team Associated, for example, is a JIS. You've probably seen it at the hobbyshop for like $12, and thought, "are they joking?" But, that's why its there. I finally bought one. Haven't stripped a phillips screw since.

Here's the Associated one:

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/1553/
I'd rather buy allen screw sets for my cars. I already have the tools, including ball end wrenches. I don't think I could get any screwdriver to work at a 45* angle on some of the funny locations on these cars.

It's not a matter of stripping them. I just hate them.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

What are the better F1 chassis out there? I am looking to get into F1 and need some advice I am an avid TC driver.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edhchoe
I think terry works for tamiya.
No, but I've spent more than I should have over the years buying their kits.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sell682
What are the better F1 chassis out there? I am looking to get into F1 and need some advice I am an avid TC driver.
Last sunday i had a race against 3 FGX cars while i'm running an F104X1 and i must admit dat those FGX cars look so plastic, fragile and cheap and they do make a lot of noice on the track.
Te sound of gears that not mesh properly, and with the right tire choice i think the F104 is a faster, better and is easier for doing maintenance on the car.
But that's just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.