The future of 1/12 scale

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of 1/12 scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel. Everyone has great ideas. The one that will work the best is going to be the one that costs the least to change over to. Every 2 cell Li-po idea needs either a different speedo/motor than what we are accustomed to running (what we already have). This means your going to have buy more stuff. Sorry to be so blunt but it is what it is.

Everyone says lipo is the future, its easier, lasts longer blah blah blah. I disagree. I don't dislike the idea of running lipo's (I run them in my touring car) but i dont feel it is superior to nimh. The nimh cells I have are now 3 months old, I haven't had one problem with them. Leave a little charge in them (i just leave mine alone after my last run of the day, usually leaves about 150-160 sec. of runtime in them at 35amps), discharge, equalize and charge them. Not really rocket science. And the misconception that lipo's doesn't have problems? bs. I had one blow up like a balloon recently and I did nothing wrong with it. I don't care what you are using you will have your bad eggs lipo or nimh.

I do feel though that having a lipo alternative to run in 1/12th is a must as the general theory nowadays for the avg. local racer is it must be lipo or its not good. Whats wrong with the simple 1 cell lipo? Every season people buy a couple packs, so you buy a 40 to 45 dollar 1 cell lipo. Slap it in your car and go. It'll slow stock down a lil which wont be a bad idea. Also, you can run a 13.5 and run in the current stock class using the lipo if you want. That is what I am going to offer at my track (360 RC) in the coming weeks when the 1 cell lipo is released.

1/12th Stock= 17.5/4 cell OR 13.5/1 cell Lipo

Run em together, all the testing I've done they are dam equel.

Thanks
Donny Lia
360rcspeedway.com
Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

DONNY LIA FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barry Baker
I'll second that nomination...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Third......
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
CHEATERS WILL STICK OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!
That is just the problem...many times they do not stick out. Speaking as a race director, without teching the cars intricately a lot of things won't get picked up. We all have seen how some motors are just faster then others right out of the box and the same for batteries. And in my other hobby I used to enjoy, paintball, electronic cheating was setup so it could be turned on and off by trigger pull combinations. That way every time the gun was tech inspected it would always pass. It sucks that people feel the need to cheat, and a pain in the butt to catch them. But any time you have competition organized or not, eventually someone will cheat.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

lol..
Barry hope all is well
how is the fabulous one doin?

Donny
Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/12th Stock= 17.5/4 cell OR 13.5/1 cell Lipo

Run em together, all the testing I've done they are dam equel.

Thanks
Donny Lia
360rcspeedway.com[/QUOTE]

Roger that !!
y didnt my quote thingy work?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

this has all got me excited to run my 1/12 again. im going to try the 1 cell 3600 deal and see if i like it. it will be easier for me to run lipo in all my cars and not have to keep moving bats in and out and taping every time. ive been waiting for this for a while and its coming true
Old 10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lmiracing
The nimh cells I have are now 3 months old, I haven't had one problem with them. Leave a little charge in them (i just leave mine alone after my last run of the day, usually leaves about 150-160 sec. of runtime in them at 35amps), discharge, equalize and charge them. Not really rocket science.
That's my policy and my packs are a little older............Today's packs are truly awesome!!......... Plus I have my LRP Pulsar 3 Charger that does both types of Batts and very small in the pits......... (2) 4-cell packs is all I need for a Race day and the Batts. kick ass in the Main!

........ Viva la 1/12 Scale racing!!.......... Bottom line, you don't need much to get invoved in some good OL' fashion racing.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

I dont see how lipos arent an equalizer..
My Orion 3600 and 3800's are identical on the track.
My 5000 SMC packs are punchier but both are the same... even tho I dont care for the Deans plug on them. (Can't use them in my buggy)
Even the 2 different flight power packs for my heli are IDENTICAL in performence. Same for the planes.
For me its all about the packaging ... the Orions have my nod. Carbon print.. bullit connectors... indexing rounds on the bottom. Perfect ! The smooth bottom cases juse dont stay in the car very well. And they dont fit very many cars. Wires comming out the side kills it for the B4, T4... many others too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would need 3 or 4 4600's for each pan car but only 1 Lipo each for the 10R5 and 12R5. The only thing that gets me is the balancing plug . For a 2 cell pack there seems to be 2 or 3 different connectors. I wont need an expensive and cumbersome discharger... no nursing of packs. Way less B.S. Their longevity is way way more reliable . Plug and play man. No soldering ...no bars... no discharging.... just more time to tweak my car. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. And I dont care which ones are faster. Less is More! Matching , zapping ,, rematching .. all history in my book. As far as what classes i run depends on what ppl show up and what they run... T/C is fun ... 12th is a blast! I love 'em all.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I dont see how lipos arent an equalizer..
My Orion 3600 and 3800's are identical on the track.
My 5000 SMC packs are punchier but both are the same... even tho I dont care for the Deans plug on them. (Can't use them in my buggy)
Even the 2 different flight power packs for my heli are IDENTICAL in performence. Same for the planes.
For me its all about the packaging ... the Orions have my nod. Carbon print.. bullit connectors... indexing rounds on the bottom. Perfect ! The smooth bottom cases juse dont stay in the car very well. And they dont fit very many cars. Wires comming out the side kills it for the B4, T4... many others too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would need 3 or 4 4600's for each pan car but only 1 Lipo each for the 10R5 and 12R5. The only thing that gets me is the balancing plug . For a 2 cell pack there seems to be 2 or 3 different connectors. I wont need an expensive and cumbersome discharger... no nursing of packs. Way less B.S. Their longevity is way way more reliable . Plug and play man. No soldering ...no bars... no discharging.... just more time to tweak my car. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. And I dont care which ones are faster. Less is More! Matching , zapping ,, rematching .. all history in my book. As far as what classes i run depends on what ppl show up and what they run... T/C is fun ... 12th is a blast! I love 'em all.

I have to disagree. How long before you think battery matchers will start matching packs? Or cycling them to see what manufactuer (sp?) has the best numbers? Guys at Vegas were told not to heat them up with a heating pad (heard this second hand from a guy that was there) to git them hot to get more voltage from them. And if they were a certain voltage, racers were made to discharge them to a certain voltage. As for the ease of operation, I tray my Nimh's (to dicharge and equalize) charge, then run. I then take the pack out of the car and put it away till the next weekend when I race, then repeat. Whats so hard about that? I have seen a Nimh cell vent, but never start a California wild fire like a Lipo. We need to stop trying to fix something that isn't broke. It's bad enough ROAR has mandated the brushless stuff. Lets leave it at that. As always, just my .02
Old 10-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

I know ... but you need a battery for every time you run the car.. a discharger .. a charger.. a storage case .. and on and on and on.. once again.. BLAH BLAH BLAH!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K Feath
Granted the 4200's would self discharge, but everything else I have owned worked oretty good for me. And the new 4600's I think are awesome. Sounds like you weren't doing something correctly to have that many cells go south on you. Again, just my .02
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
I have to disagree. How long before you think battery matchers will start matching packs? Or cycling them to see what manufactuer (sp?) has the best numbers? Guys at Vegas were told not to heat them up with a heating pad (heard this second hand from a guy that was there) to git them hot to get more voltage from them. And if they were a certain voltage, racers were made to discharge them to a certain voltage. As for the ease of operation, I tray my Nimh's (to dicharge and equalize) charge, then run. I then take the pack out of the car and put it away till the next weekend when I race, then repeat. Whats so hard about that? I have seen a Nimh cell vent, but never start a California wild fire like a Lipo. We need to stop trying to fix something that isn't broke. It's bad enough ROAR has mandated the brushless stuff. Lets leave it at that. As always, just my .02
Say, when was the last time you two have been in the same thread at the same time?!?!?!?!?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Say, when was the last time you two have been in the same thread at the same time?!?!?!?!?
Split personalities Rick.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.