air leak?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default air leak?

i had my motor out for a few weeks while i gathered parts for diffs and big bores and i put the motr back in and the thing revs real high but the carb is closed as normal as it used to be. coult this be a result of a bad o ring under the carb? its a v spec. rc8
Old 10-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

If the carb is closed and the engine revs it is almost for sure an air leak but where? You could have just as easily torn some fuel tubing when you removed the engine.
I would remove the fuel tank and every last inch of the lines and pressure check them in a tub of water. If you don't find any leaks, get a set of those rubber caps from the hobby store, take off the air filter and exhaust and cap them off. Put a small length of fuel tube to put on the fuel nipple on the engine that you can blow into and use something like plumbers leak finder from the hardware store or soapy water. Just don't submurge the eninge in water, spray something like that all around places it could leak (carb neck, any of the needles, front bearing, backplate, etc.) and blow into the tube to pressurize the engine looking for bubbles. Make sure you clean all of what you use off the engine with whatever you normally clean it with and dry it off when you are done. good luck! If you don't find anything, replace the fuel tubing and check the engine one more time. They can be very hard to find sometimes. Put the engine back in a try it again. Also check your seals on your manifold and pipe but I don't think those can cause as much trouble as you are describing.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

also check your carb boot for any pin holes.. that's all it takes.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25728
Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

-brainstorming- i was running an external fuel filter with mine and every now and then my engine would start to idle high while i was running and then trail back down a few seconds after comming to a stop. turns out it was leaning on the top end due to my restrictive filter, it wasnt even dirty. i have one in my tank so i just removed it and the think runs like a champ...
Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

how to presure check the tank and fuel line in a tub? im bit confused on that part
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Take tank out of car. Put fuel line on pressure tap. Put finger over fuel outlet. Submerge tank in bucket of water. Blow on line connected to pressure tap. Any bubles means bad. Lid should not pop up & leak bubbles,humans cant blow that hard, if it does that mean bad. This will not tell you if theres an internal leak where the plastic line inside the tank going up from the filter meets the the line inside the tank that turn 90 degrees & exits through the back of the tank. Internal leaks suck(just ask an RC8 owner,OH wait a second) as the fuel level drops below the leak the exaust coming in from the pipe goes in that leak & leans the crap out of the motor randomly because the filter is now not the only place pressure can go through. You may get lucky if the leak is real bad & see air bubbles in the line coming out of your tank if this is the case. I couldnt see bubbles in my line but puttiong a mugen mbx5r tank in fixed the problem. Its a direct fit if you want to bend the tank mount posts at the bottom 3-4 mm. Now that I got rid of that piece of crap I gave the tank to a friend that still hasnt wised up yet. You can see pictures & descriptions of how to install 3-4 different tanks in the RC8 if you search the ass website forum. They will give you a new tank if you send yours in but say theres no problem with the tank even though their on their 3rd revised tank. Scroll 1/2 way down the link,the pictures of the white car is mine(was mine now some other suckers).

http://www.aeforums.co.uk/forum/inde...opic=2061&st=0
Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Tech Adept

i think tomarrow morning im going to fill the tank up completly and try it

then iif it still happens
new fuel line

if it still happens ill start going into more depth lol
Old 10-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Its your time to spend how you like but you've seen the ae forum results how it will end. I can tell you one thing though those big bore will make the RC8 a whole new car so dont waste too much time.