Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing 2wd 1/10 gas trucks for racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was thinking of widening the front end but never tried it, I really don't know what that would do for the truck anyways except maybe make it a little more stable but with a lose of steering sharpness, still like to try it though
Old 09-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

hi there,
any racing truckers out there tried the new kyosho ultima evolution truck already? comments appreciated. thanks.

aa
Old 09-24-2003, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

It's actually pretty easy to do.

I just inserted xxxt aluminum axles into reamed out(with a 1/4" drill bit) GT steering blocks, adjusted it so it gives 1/4" more width and then drilled out the axle using the steering block holes as a guide. You also have to clearance the caster block to allow the rear of the axle to swing. You also need a AE tranny top shaft spacer so that the GT wheels fit the axles without any slop.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:29 AM
Tech Master

Another pic.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:31 AM
Tech Master

My truck.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:59 AM
Tech Master

Default FYI!

I shelved the FT GT and I will run the AD XXXNT..............again.

I just gotta drive more carefully and not balls-out like I usually do with the GT. I just gotta tell myself, "It's not a GT......it's not a GT!"

I'll tell you all one thing though, i'm keepin the GT...... just in case.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

How did your truck react with the wider front end? Can you use losi steering knuckles? I think I am gonna try that retro for outdoor but I think the narrow truck will be better indoor. I run allot of indoor nitro in the winter months and steering is always the hardest thing to get. I'll try and post some pics of my truck today or tomorrow
Old 09-24-2003, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

The truck's front end seems to be more stable especially when going through the ruts. A little more forgiving too when landing akwardly.

Steering feels about the same though. Maybe a tad less in tight turns.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Have you tried the 25 deg. steering blocks yet? They add a little more low speed steering too.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

I think the ft gt comes with the 25 degree block I will have to check the manual
Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

......keep those secret mods coming !!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

WOW did i get a lesson today........ First time on a Dirt 'Track' with my rc10gt plus rtr 1 yr old nothing OG.....
Ok My first observation is I have No Traction...... Kept spinning out Big Lawndart action on the jumps and I have wayyyy overpowered....
I was bashing Parkinglots with street tires on this thing just fine . Now.... well I ran 2 hours+ today all to myself and Blew up a set of Robinson Hardened gears 15/65 I think the screws backed off the Spur and it ate the Cluchbell....Found both Gears bearings and shoes are gone.......Had a tooth missing on the spur the clutchbell looks salvagable.
I think I need Diff lube? Gotta tighten up that rear end! Tires! I had some big Knobby proline sale table things on there they are slicks now....... Shocks...... I have no clue on the spring/shock specs.. The Rears feel looser then I'd imagine to be a good thing fronts are fairly responsive still.
So I guess What I am looking for here is;
#1 What should I do to 'lockup' the rearend for the loose dirt in order to Gain straightaway Traction?
#2 The Track has Hard pack& Loose dirt and Banked loose turns what kinna tires for this?
#3 I Have shocks set High front high rear and Green springs rear OG Silver replaced front and what oil for shocks?
I'm not bashing any of the manufactures here I love my robinson gears and my proline tires but I definatly need some help on my setup can anyone give me a hand up so i can run at the track a lil better?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a little advice that may help you.

1. Go to the manual or AE's web site and read up on how to set up your truck. Try the box stock set up first.

2. Go back to the track and ASK the "good" racers there what tires they're using and their shock set ups. Most racers will share that information with you and then you know you'll have a decent set up for the track. Asking people on a forum is really hit or miss since none of us have ever seen your track.

3. Set up the diff as described in the manual. The diff shouldn't slip but the slipper should.

4. Learn to squeeze the throttle gently when you're in a low traction area.

5. Jumping, ask the other racers for tips because not all jumps are created equal. In general you want to set up square to hit the front ramp and give it some throttle, back off the throttle and use it to keep the truck level for landing. Tap the brake or if you have drag brakes the nose will drop. Stay on throttle and the nose goes up.

6. Practice, practice and practice.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

I've heard of people stripping their transmission gears and idle gears.......anybody has a good setup for the transmission gears?
How about clutch setup? MIP? stock? Does the MIP ball bearing steering kit makes a lot of difference? What tires are you guys using for bumpy, dry,dusty, track?
Old 10-19-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tambok, you'll find out that about 99% of the trans failures uou hear about are from operator error. Just follow the set up instructions that come with whichever kit you get and you'll be fine as long as the slipper slips before the diff.

The stock clutches usually tend to work very good and with your experience with on-road cars you should have no problems fine tuning any clutch. Ball bearing steering is nice but not a must have, get it if you want but you'll get a minimum performance gain unless you're replacing worn out plastic bushings.

As far as tires go, that is very subjective to the type of track you race on. What hooks up like rails on one surface may feel like being on ball bearings on another surface. Ask around at the tracks for the best tire info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.