Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest Driving Style.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Fastest Driving Style.

This is something I have flip flopped between myself and am wondering what others have found to be the better way to go.

- Point and shoot
- Easy on and off throttle.

How much of a factor is surface?
How much of a factor is car setup?

Full scale its about carrying speed.
Is that the case with this sport?

And yes , I realize I may be opening a huge can of worms .
Factory opinions welcome.

Dave.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbboy
This is something I have flip flopped between myself and am wondering what others have found to be the better way to go.

- Point and shoot
- Easy on and off throttle.

How much of a factor is surface?
How much of a factor is car setup?

Full scale its about carrying speed.
Is that the case with this sport?

And yes , I realize I may be opening a huge can of worms .
Factory opinions welcome.

Dave.
It is what every works for you. I have seen pro's that are choppy on the throttle and others that are smooth.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

all i have to say is corner speed is everything

races are won and lost in the turns
Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RaceAce701
all i have to say is corner speed is everything

races are won and lost in the turns
+1
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Being smooth is everything. I used to hear the saying "Slow is fast" all the time and it is true. Very often, the guys who look like they are going slow are turning the lowest lap times. Setup is important, but driving smooth and mistake free is the key.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

having raced off-road electric/gas and TC electric/gas I've found that being as smooth as possible is typically the best choice.

Granted, each discipline has it's own requirements and dos and donts...start with a smooth input, slow in and fast out, largest radius is the fastest way through a corner and give yourself a few inches from the pipe until you build up your skills.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

I may catch flack but IMO

Faster Through the corner is faster around the track.

Very Important for fast open tracks where coming off the corner slow could be the difference of being able to pass someone on the straight or just staying behind them. Loosing corner speed will also make the motor work harder which will just lead to issues with run-time, fade, and heat when you continue to gear the car to be as fast as the others.

This is my exception. Not all tracks have flowing drive lines and the smaller the track, the more driving style will head towards Point-and-Shoot. It may just end up that only one section of corners is Point-and-shoot while the rest is all about driving smooth.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

The more power you have, the more you can benefit for taking a shorter line (=point and shoot) vs. drawing a nice flowing radius. If you watch fast guys run modified, they are very much point and shoot around the slower corners. On the fast flowing sections, where you are not overpowered in relation to the speed you're doing, of course keeping up the speed is important.
When running stock, you don't have the punch out of corners and there keeping up the speed is more important.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olev
The more power you have, the more you can benefit for taking a shorter line (=point and shoot) vs. drawing a nice flowing radius. If you watch fast guys run modified, they are very much point and shoot around the slower corners. On the fast flowing sections, where you are not overpowered in relation to the speed you're doing, of course keeping up the speed is important.
When running stock, you don't have the punch out of corners and there keeping up the speed is more important.
Bingo
Old 10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Fastest Driving Style = not hitting anything

it seems like the guys that ask this question are the ones that have yet to figure out that the fast guys get through entire heats without single wreck, where as the not-as-fast guys you can tell where they are on the track by all the whacking and banging
Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Or, alternatively, buy a ridiculously fast brushless set-up and hope your going so fast you'll go right through the walls and appear out the other side of the track.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think that setup is critical in electric tc racing but as far as driving style goes I think it all depends on what works for the specific track, driver, and car. IMO most people can drive their car just fine but the next guy's car is a completely different beast.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Spot on. The method of taking any corner is to maximise you speed on the open sections. Therefore your horsepower and the type of corner is what decides the way you take it.

Ie... recent meet I was at had a hairpin on and off the main straight. Due to the open nature of the track the spec classes were driving a big sweeping line through the hairpin onto the straight. Mod however drove straight to the apex, stopped hard and stay tight, the hammered out of the turn with crazy lipo/4.0 power. The mod guys had enough power to more than make up for their lower mid corner speed.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Spot on. The method of taking any corner is to maximise you speed on the open sections. Therefore your horsepower and the type of corner is what decides the way you take it.

Ie... recent meet I was at had a hairpin on and off the main straight. Due to the open nature of the track the spec classes were driving a big sweeping line through the hairpin onto the straight. Mod however drove straight to the apex, stopped hard and stay tight, the hammered out of the turn with crazy lipo/4.0 power. The mod guys had enough power to more than make up for their lower mid corner speed.
Thats it, because mod electric cars have so much acceleration it's more about how early you can get on the throttle rather than how much speed you can carry through a corner, with big sweepers where you are already going fast, it's usually quicker to hold a normal smooth line to maximize your corner speed. With stock cars though it's usually better to keep as much corner speed as possible as these cars don't have that much power.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Suspended

if that was the case, how come the mod guys aren't turning 25% more laps than the guys running stock considering they have at least that much more power. if there is ever any difference it's only marginal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.