Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caffieine and racing....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Tech Champion

Default Caffieine and racing....

Does it help, or is it just keeping you awake?

Personally, I use it just to keep awake. I'll be awake at 6am, do a full days work, then drive an hour to race and not get home until gone midnight. Coffee or red bull and i'm good to go.

Do others find it helps them..... or just gives them the shakes?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

I believe there are studies that prove that caffeine improves sporting performance, I think it is a controlled substance in international sport also.

I'm sure a google search will bring up some information.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Tech Champion

Just out of interest, has any club ever tried to enforce a ban of its use? (Yes that sounds crazy, but you never know)....

I don't honestly think it does anything for me except keep me awake, which I guess is quite an advantage...
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Champion

Not sure if it does really have much of an effect, but I know Craig Xavier avoids caffeine at the races. Even at dinner on Friday or Saturday night at a big race, he'll opt for any caffeine free beverage. It seems to help keep him calm, but I suppose everyone is different... Personally, I like to chew gum when I race.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Tech Champion

I think caffiene also has more of an effect to you if you don't drink it very often.

Maybe I imagined it, but when I started drinking red bull I felt that my reactions were a lot quicker than without it. Now though, I don't feel any difference - apart from staying awake.

That suited me though as I like a car that reacts sharply and turns on a dime....

I think any drug is not an ideal way of trying to make you a better racer though, it is very likely to steer you away from having full focus of what you are doing.

You may think it gives an advantage, but there could well be a bad side too.

I smoke, drink and enjoy a bit of caffiene all in moderation of course! ... I dont think any of them would help my racing lol. A cigarette helps calm my nerves, but thats not very useful in the race...

I dont see transmitters having an ashtray on them in the near future or on a more serious matter, seeing any government allowing smoking in a public place.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A cocktail always takes the edge off

Tony
Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Caffeine definately has a performance advantage in certain sports.
As per my avatar I race bikes and without a doubt it improves heart rate response.

I also feel that in r/c if you tend to get nervous on the stand, coffee or whatever stimulant you choose will only serve to exaggerate those issues.

Conversely if you have a problem staying focussed on the job at hand for the full five or eight minutes. It will give you an edge there.

There are also studies that have shown it to improve synaptic response (faster reactions).

My twoonies worth.
Dave.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by under200
A cocktail always takes the edge off

Tony

off what, the body shell?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I know it helps me, thanks to my friend and fellow racer, Kregg Kerr. He brings me a HUGE cup of Java every sunday morning and I'm good for the day!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I dont drink much caffeine at all and never on race days or the night before as it gets me really anxous and I tend to blow out more than I already do....
Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I usually have so much adrenaline on the drivers stand that Caffiene is a detriment to my performance. Its way more important for me to be calm than to have my reflexes increased. Calm = on my wheels and out of the barriers. A bored turn marshal means it was a good run.

For the drive home thats a differrent story.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I usually have so much adrenaline on the drivers stand that Caffiene is a detriment to my performance. Its way more important for me to be calm than to have my reflexes increased. Calm = on my wheels and out of the barriers. A bored turn marshal means it was a good run.

For the drive home thats a differrent story.
I'm almost certain that's where I am going wrong, thanks.... I just like to chill out, hang out with the people I race with and it's all good... Well, except my racing sometimes

I do my best though, I turn a few heads sometimes... when i've hit the board every lap Just kidding about the last bit, but have been known to throw in a very consistant time and usually do quite well on a winter series when it's going well

Caffiene probably isn't good for me.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can go for 5 hours without a crash with one of them energy drinks so you can drive any way you want
The other one gives you wings so thats for the fly guys I do one of each cuz I race mod.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

It's very easy to take too much caffiene. It can make you restless, very irritable (not something I care to be like at a track with friends around me) and not in a good mood.

I know that when i'm racing, it's got to be fun You can't do that well if you're too pumped up on caffiene.

There's a lot of different stuff to r/c out there that makes it the hobby it is when you put your mind to it........
Old 10-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Depending on the day, with how far I have to travel to a race, will decide how much caffine I have. I like to drink Red Bull, prolly more than I should, but I think it makes me focus better. I will have up to 8 Red Bulls on a race day, and other than not being able to fall asleep when I get home very easily, I don't seem to get the "shakes" as others do from too much caffine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.