Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8ight 2.0 vs 808 vs O'Donnell

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

xray is a good car no doubt, so is the losi.. but why buy something that is a copy when u can have the real deal? i bought the 808 tried it it was fast and i won a couple races with it does that make it good no not really lol.. i seen some stuff about it that needed improved and it was not quality. the losi was all around just great car just needs some improved metal and they have done that now. but now with mugen mbx6 out and the mp9 theres just to many cars out there that are fast.. and its all in setup any ways what works for one will not work for others... but i love the OD to its nice car. but if i was u id buy what is winning at your local track and go with it..
Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
AE

James,

I'm glad you like your 808. I guess my views on foreign companies jocking an american made concept may be a little different. I won't pontificate about that matter, but if your are glad that Hudy "copied" our car, than so be it. I cannot say the same thing as I do work as an engineer at Losi. You gain a whole new perspective when you see blood sweat and tears go into a design and you do take a a bit of pride in it. I'm a pretty good judge of materials of the new car also. I am proud of our teams transparency and their willingness to help anyone regardless of brand. Our parts are readily available, and our car is a blast to drive. Many people run it, and parts can be found easily if there is not a hobby shop on site. Big picture, all of these things should be considered if someone wants to race 1/8th scale buggies.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

I've owned two Losi eight buggys, and have only had one DNF because of part going out. It was my fault, I didn't locktite a set screw. So not a Losi problem. They did have alot of slop in them, I did try to shim it out, but then the car got "darty". So I took them out. It's a very good car, and I won many races with them. I love working on my cars so the high maintenance of a Losi doesn't bother me.

On that note, I wish to try something of a higher quality. I'm getting an 808 soon, I've driven one and frikin loved it. I'm not saying that the Losi is bad quality. In fact I think of it as Toyota quality, nothing wrong there. I look at the xray 808 as a Lexus though.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I've owned two Losi eight buggys, and have only had one DNF because of part going out. It was my fault, I didn't locktite a set screw. So not a Losi problem. They did have alot of slop in them, I did try to shim it out, but then the car got "darty". So I took them out. It's a very good car, and I won many races with them. I love working on my cars so the high maintenance of a Losi doesn't bother me.

On that note, I wish to try something of a higher quality. I'm getting an 808 soon, I've driven one and frikin loved it. I'm not saying that the Losi is bad quality. In fact I think of it as Toyota quality, nothing wrong there. I look at the xray 808 as a Lexus though.

that sums it up right there and I agree 100%...the Losi is a great car, but it does get loose and sloppy (parts wear), but when I tried to tighten mine up, I did not like it either, so I left it loose until I sold it! The Losi is very tough as well...The comment on Toyota and Lexus is spot on as well..when you build an xray and see the quality, fit, and finish you will see what I mean..there is a definate difference (for what it is worth, I was not any faster with the xray then I was with the Losi, so....buy what you want and race it!)
Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The quality between the 808 and 8ight is worlds apart. The 808 is 10x better in quality. Drive, jumps, and handles the ruts better too. And has a ton of on-power steering vs the 8ight lack off. I raced the 8ight (liked it a lot) for 2 years, and I'm so glad I switched to the X-Ray! I haven't yet broke or wore out a single part, after MANY gallons.

I have yet to even see an O'Donnell at any of my local tracks. There just isn't any around in my area, (Central/Northern Ca) so I can't say one way or another about that buggy.

BTW parts are very easy to find for the 808. There are 3-4 on-line shops that carry all of them. E-Bay has a ton too. So saying parts are hard to find is total Bull @#$%...
Old 10-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Its not a matter of copying designs, it is tanking a good design from one product and adding it to other good developments from other designers which is called improved technology.
All buggies are good/ ok until someone designs something better and then they all have to improve their products,which is good.
So which is the best now, XRAY of course!!!!

Weight,quality,performance,durability and support. Price might not be the best, but you aint gonna replace spares in a hurry. This is what the average joe is looking for
Old 10-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mater
Its not a matter of copying designs, it is tanking a good design from one product and adding it to other good developments from other designers which is called improved technology.
All buggies are good/ ok until someone designs something better and then they all have to improve their products,which is good.
So which is the best now, XRAY of course!!!!

Weight,quality,performance,durability and support. Price might not be the best, but you aint gonna replace spares in a hurry. This is what the average joe is looking for

Old 10-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Normally I would go for the Xray but both buggies are very nice. Personally based off what I've seen the 2.0 & the 808 are both top of thier class. Most people I know run the 808 and have very few issues. The fact of the matter is its all about personal opinion but I would go for the Mbx6
Old 10-12-2008, 01:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yip I agree I ran Losi for a year and still think it is a awesome buggy. The slop on the front steering,wear on the cvd's and the wear on the break servo-horn assembly did not bother to much at the time.

What really bugged me at the time was that the 8ight was either your friend or your enemy and sometimes it was very unpredictable. I also didn't like the lack of available droop. My driving improved a lot from the MBX5R when I moved to Losi.

With the 808 I have had no issues so far and had to de-tune the setup as it is very responsive. They really put a lot of thought into this buggy.It does have some wear on the front drive cup of the centre diff, but the angle at which it runs can explain this. For me, it is the most predictable buggy out there.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Initiate

i know the losi car has a ton of steering. my xray was a pia and blew the rear beairn for the pinion. ihad to run losi bladders cause the xray ones blewout. i hated having to order everything online. the losi is way faster for me. the odonnel car doesn't seem as good as either losi or xray.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I used to have MUGEN before LOSI.. I like how the mugen handles, but the parts was issue, theyre expnesive and hard to find. So I raced an losi 8ight this year, never had a problem compared to mugen. Though losi doesnt seem to have balanced weight for corners. it is hard to roll around corner fast. But I have to admit that losi is easier to flip back over when your flipping. and i like how it handles on big jumps, even small jumps, smooth. I guess its because im running carbon fiber by matrix. Though i never had broken a part yet, compared to mugen. I still have tons of new spare parts sitting in the boxes.. wondering if i should sell few of them?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Asti
the odonnel car doesn't seem as good as either losi or xray.
Hehe, try owning one.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Initiate

I already had one back in '05
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

well i think alot of people are just gonna come on here and say the odonnell isnt as good as an xray or losi just cause its not the new style design so right there people will think its slower than the other 2 cars. heck its just as light as the 808. its all in what ya like.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

how do you figure the odonell is as light as the 808? Not even close

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.